RepackboxTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2Load DataWidenersInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything

Thread: Lyman 457463: determining pressure and velocity limits

Boolit Mold

Lyman 457463: determining pressure and velocity limits

So, I’ve managed to procure a 457193 mold as part of my supply gathering. During my research I’ve also come across the 457463 mold. I don’t know what it is about that boolit cross section, but it just seems “right”. Big flat nose, thick base, etc. obviously as a plain base boolit it has its limits, and I’ve read that these wide meplat boolits can have accuracy degradation at higher velocities.

I don’t even know if I can find a mold like this, but in the event I do … anyone out there have experience with it? Just based on looks it seems like it probably more appropriate for the lower loading levels, and perhaps not a candidate for raising up to “Level 2” modern lever gun levels. But, I’d like to hear from you gurus with experience. Application would be deer and hogs.

Boolit Grand Master
    You need to know the dia. that your barrel needs to be accurate.
    Then you need to be certain that your alloy and the mould in question will provide you with bullets large enough to shoot accurately.

If the above isn't taken into consideration, the purchase could be a big waste of time and $$$$$$.

Boolit Mold
    Thanks Ben. Good point.

A lot of my purchasing is going to need to wait until I have a gun in hand and am able to slug the barrel and “impact cast” the chamber.

Just looking to see if the 457463 is a good one to pursue for hunting and where it commonly understood limits are.

Boolit Mold
    BTW - I see you’re in Cleveland AL. I’m not too far off here in Hoover. Small world.

Boolit Master

Great bullet for a Marlin M1895. Was told it was designed for it with the short nose to keep the OAL down. I have one that I HP's and it's my most accurate bullet in the .45/70. It will make a great "hog stopper./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....