Titan ReloadingLoad DataInline FabricationRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionWidenersRepackbox
Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Way to Clean Brass

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska

New Way to Clean Brass

I just came across this. Has anyone tried it?
    https://youtu.be/TlRficpcRFk

Northern Virginia, where the freeway does roam.
    *always rinse before handling
    Haha
    This must be extremely valuable for Electronics applications.

I wonder what the contraindications are for this cleaning process.

If it can be safely and easily scaled up to do 500 pieces of brass that would be awesome.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

That’s pretty neat. But just too many steps for me. I still prefer the stainless steel, lemon shine /dawn mixture. Set it and forget it lol. For 2 hrs that is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Looks like the same product cleaning steps for tire rims
    Regards
    John

Banned
    I like my cement mixer 1 1/2 cubic yards I haven't changed the media in 15 years plug it in go eat dinner and sleep come back in the morning brass looks like gold.

Some of their other products look really interesting.

The one for multi coloring and black chrome blueing zinc plated parts looks very interesting.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Quote Originally Posted by Helka View Post
    That’s pretty neat. But just too many steps for me. I still prefer the stainless steel, lemon shine /dawn mixture. Set it and forget it lol. For 2 hrs that is.

I’ve often thought about using my cement mixer as a tumbler, even for making BP. When you tumble your brass what do you add? Some Etra fine sand maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    I’ve often thought about using my cement mixer as a tumbler, even for making BP. When you tumble your brass what do you add? Some Etra fine sand maybe?
    I don’t have a cement mixer but I made my own tumbler. Using an old cocoa powder container and just add hot water, stainless steel media pins and the above mentioned ingredients to polish it up.

Boolit Grand Master
    Any process that uses water is a pain. I am not carrying pails of water into the shop and then you have to dry the cases. Might work OK for a few less than 200 cases at a time.

Ultra clean cases do not perform any better so not worth the bother.
    Don Verna

I use the large Frankford Arsenal wet tumbler. I've put hundreds of 308 casings in it, they come out minty-fresh.

I put old nasty range brass casings in it that had been outside in the rain for years, stepped on, ground in the gravel, crusty stuff that wouldn't even get scrap metal value, look like terrible brass Rusty junk garbage.

Quick rinse to remove the mud, throw them in the tumbler for 3 hours with dish soap and stainless steel pins, they come out looking brand new. It makes inspecting the brass incredibly easy and fast.

The most casings I ever put in it was several thousand 9 mm. The biggest drag is separating the brass from the pins.

When separating the brass from the pins I used two buckets, a television and a cold beer on a hot day.

If the brass is not terribly dirty it cleans just fine using only tap water and Dawn soap. Cement mixer would probably be okay using only water and Dawn, when the cases Bang into each other it will loosen a lot of the trash, and the soap will carry the dirt in suspension. Rinse the water a couple times, dry them in the Sun, brass will be pretty, loading will be fun.

I think the main advantage of wet tumble cleaning is I don't get the black finger when I'm loading, handling casings for the different steps. Somebody using a progressive set up with a case feeder will of course have different processes.

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    Any process that uses water is a pain. I am not carrying pails of water into the shop and then you have to dry the cases. Might work OK for a few less than 200 cases at a time.

I have a dehydrator that I use to dry brass. My dehydrator measure 1 door wide by 2 feet long. Has 9 levels. I could dry about 10k 9mm brass if need be.

This kind of reminds me of the old case cleaning stuff called "Case Brite". Came in a small 1/4 pint can with a pry off lid like a pain can, and had a cellophane bag in it containing sulfuric acid crystals. Open the bag and dump into a quart jar of warm water. Add brass and shake for 10 minutes. Pour off water, now very dirty, dump brass into another jar of clean water and shake some more until rinsed. Saw and used it several times in the '60s and early '70s, then it was gone. It would eat the skin of your fingers a bit if you neglected to wear rubber gloves. Usually, like the video, the brass remained dark. Sometimes it was stained yellow and I think I still have some stained -06 brass.

DG

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by 358429 View Post
    *always rinse before handling
    Haha

The part that caught my attention was his comment about “minimal metal removal”.

So, it actually takes a layer off?????

Quote Originally Posted by la5676 View Post
    The part that caught my attention was his comment about “minimal metal removal”.

So, it actually takes a layer off?????
    Everything you do takes a layer off. How thick that layer is is what's critical...

Boolit Grand Master

Hardly new. I have been using this off and on for about 20 years https://iosso.com/clean/products/cas...e-cleaner-kit/
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post

I think the drying process required in wet tumbling gets a lot of bad press.

My Lortone #12 wet tumbles 500-600 9mm empties easily (if I counted them it would probably be more). Using Lemishine + Armorall's Wash & Wax I rinse 2 times & put them into my Midway colander. I position my goose neck desk lamp over them (60 watt bulb)& they are dry in less than 2 hrs..

Before going into the colander I put them into a wife approved towel & fold similar to a hammock, & let them slide back & fort in that "hammock" about 10 times & then they go into the colander.

Note: I always deprime before the process.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Der Gebirgsjager View Post
    This kind of reminds me of the old case cleaning stuff called "Case Brite". Came in a small 1/4 pint can with a pry off lid like a pain can, and had a cellophane bag in it containing sulfuric acid crystals. Open the bag and dump into a quart jar of warm water. Add brass and shake for 10 minutes. Pour off water, now very dirty, dump brass into another jar of clean water and shake some more until rinsed. Saw and used it several times in the '60s and early '70s, then it was gone. It would eat the skin of your fingers a bit if you neglected to wear rubber gloves. Usually, like the video, the brass remained dark. Sometimes it was stained yellow and I think I still have some stained -06 brass.

DG
    Used to use this in the 1970's. I thought it was Muriatic acid though.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post

Us either corn cobb or walnut media in the cement mixer. I use a Harbor Freight cement mixer for large volumes after months of range pick up accumulates.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Buddy
    I do a quick tumble in corn cob to get the rough stuff off. Then I deprime. Then I put about anywhere between 500 to 1000 in my Frankford wet tumbler with pins, lemishine and Armour all wax n Wash. Run it for about an hour or two. Dump them into a media separator to get the pins out. Lay a wife approved towel on the clothes dryer and have a small desk fan that blows air over them. I like um bright and shiny.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master
    Makes simple, hard. Does a fine job it appears, but for me, kitchen sink, Dawn soap, Lemi-Shine (or pickling salts), hot water, 10 minutes - ba~da~bing -- done. Nail board to dry in the sun.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast