Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2RepackboxLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingWidenersSnyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision

Thread: Barrel break in procedure?

Boolit Mold

Barrel break in procedure?

Is there a barrel break in procedure for new rifles shooting cast boolits?

Boolit Master

I wouldn't do it any different than I would for jacketed. In fact I might even do it with jacketed, as it's likely to go faster.

What you're trying to do is polish down the machining marks left over from the manufacturing process. This will give you less damage to the bullet; with cast, less chance for flame-cutting; and probably a longer throat life since you won't be tearing chunks of roughly machined steel out by the roots. You'll get less copper fouling too, since you've taken off the rough bits that might tend to collect it.

I clean every shot with about ten passes from a bronze brush with CLP, followed by a boresnake or tight patch for the first ten shots, then do the same every other shot for ten more. Seems to do the trick for me, but everybody's got their own Voodoo.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Grand Master
    Bogonio,

Check out the MGM barrel maker's site. They list a procedure they recommend for their barrel. They are experts and I'd value their insights.

Here is another really good description on break in watch the video.. 3 expert barrel makers.
    http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/...waste-of-time/
    I use the shoot 1 clean and most barrels will break in to a point after 15 rounds ..
    I may take 50, 100. 200 rounds to get some barrels to settle down.

I just clean them once then proceed to shoot. No matter if it's a single shot or an AR15. I'm not saying anything against barrel break in methods, I just don't worry about it. My 38-55 hasn't seen a jacketed bullet yet, and probably won't. My 30-40 and 44-40 get a mix of cast and jacketed. The 38-55 is a rebore, the other two are Pac-Nor and Green Mtn. They may be broken in by now- maybe not- but they all shoot better than I can with the iron sights they wear.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

From my understanding the part that needs break in is the throat. That's the only area that can't be lapped. Button rifled barrels usually don't need the rifling break in. Cut rifled barrels probably shoot better after a hundred rounds or so. Muzzle loaders usually shoot better after a hundred patched round balls.