Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Load DataTitan Reloading
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Motorcycling

Banned

Motorcycling

I used to ride quite a bit, not group joy riding stuff, I used the bike to get places for the most part. I kind of got out of it a few years ago and the two remaining ones I have have been sitting in the shop. The big enduro, I'll get going on my own, other is a Triumph Bonneville which I had gotten new tires, chain, sprockets, etc., planning to do all that myself (have done all of these tasks on other bikes, just less entusiastic about wrenching in the heat now). So, trailered the Triumph in to the local dealership which sells Harleys and Kawasakis, I've known them for years, and got them going on getting it on the road.

Age is taking a toll on me, I won't ride without gear and that stuff is becoming uncomfortable to me when my tolerance level for being uncomfortable is dwindling. I figured I'd get it road worthy again, ride a little this Fall and sell it off next Spring, keep the KLR650 for when I want to do rural exploration around here and basically be done with bikes.

Never was a V-twin Cruiser kind of guy, just don't care for the riding position and the image those types like to portray, but this dealership makes their money on them and I got to shooting the breeze with the lead mechanic and the subject of the XR1200 Harley made a few years (looks like a flat tracker and built around that same 1200 EVO motor the Sportster uses) came up. He tells me they just took one in on trade, they were going through it and it would likely be priced pretty reasonable. Took me to see it, sat on it, started it up and dang if that motorcycling bug I thought had died didn't bite again. I really like the riding position, that 1200 EVO is a great power plant by everybody's account, and those are built with a chassis, brakes, etc., to take advantage of that much power.

I'll probably sleep on it enough to lose the spark while they're getting ready to put it on the showroom floor, but it sure did look like it would be fun for a while. It was apparently a bad seller for Harley, which seems to happen whenever they try to do anything different despite the rave reviews it got when it came out.

I think I'm probably getting too old and fat for a machine like that, but nice to day dream about.

Boolit Master

Lately, I have been pondering a Yamaha TW200.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Boolit Master

Never too old Rich. I just finished a 2800 mile trip last week. Rode up to the Mid Ohio Sports Car Track for an event and met some friends form up north there. I'm the kid at 60, the rest of the crew is in the mid seventies. My touring bike is an 08 Harley Roadglide. I rode it to Alaska a few years ago, just shy of 12,000 miles round trip. I have a 93 Fatboy as my hotrod/bar hopper. While I can't do 700 mile days anymore I do love getting my face in the wind. (used to be my hair in the wind but well not much hair anymore) If you like the 1200 get it! Riding is my Xanax.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Finster101 View Post
    Never too old Rich. I just finished a 2800 mile trip last week. Rode up to the Mid Ohio Sports Car Track for an event and met some friends form up north there. I'm the kid at 60, the rest of the crew is in the mid seventies. My touring bike is an 08 Harley Roadglide. I rode it to Alaska a few years ago, just shy of 12,000 miles round trip. I have a 93 Fatboy as my hotrod/bar hopper. While I can't do 700 mile days anymore I do love getting my face in the wind. (used to be my hair in the wind but well not much hair anymore) If you like the 1200 get it! Riding is my Xanax.
    I comutted to Topeka daily for a while on a 2003 Suzuki Dl 1000 V-Strom. Also did week long trips for work to Fort Knox and also Great Lakes Naval station, both just over 600 miles. That was a great bike for putting miles in on the slab, fast and powerful and I could carry a lot of stuff. I have some back issues now plus a left knee that really sitiffens up on a long ride like that now. Can't see spending more than an hour in the saddle anymore, but my drive to work now is maybe 15 minutes of some nice rural road and that Bonneville is perfect.

Kind of funny how your interets do change, I was really passionate about it a few years ago, now would a lot rather just sit home and reload and plink. Used to bowfish every day too, went out about a year ago during the gar spawn and found myself more interested in watching them than shooting them. Guess I'm slowing down.

That XR1200 is nice. Never really was a Harley besides that one that had any real interest from me, but I bet that thing will just flat out rock on the open road.

Boolit Master

Our interest change sometimes because we come down with Henny Youngman's disease. It hurts when we do that so we don't do that anymore. Being in Florida I definitely use my bikes as transportation. I have an 08 pickup bought new and the roadglide bought new, the bike has the most miles on it. You can get a lot of groceries in those saddle bags. Spent a bit of time around Ft. Knox. I lived in Louisville. Had an Uncle stationed there and we would visit and go on post some. As a teenager in a band we would play some shows at the Copple Club. Not sure is that spelling is correct. Then a few months there doing basic and AIT.

Boolit Master
    I will be 73 next month but won't give up my bike until I can't control it. It'a a 94 BMW R1100RS and at 95,000 miles still runs like new. If I had to ride a Harley I might give up riding. Would love to have a 66 Bonneville for zipping around town.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by rbuck351 View Post
    I will be 73 next month but won't give up my bike until I can't control it. It'a a 94 BMW R1100RS and at 95,000 miles still runs like new. If I had to ride a Harley I might give up riding.
    You must hate Lee products too.

Boolit Master
    Nope, got a lot of lee stuff but I do like smooth and a 45 degree V twin is not smooth.

Boolit Buddy
    A few years back I took my 02 Roadking Police in for service (I could afford it then). Came out with my Roadking and a new Limited. They made a deal I couldn't refuse. But I justified it by logic:
    Limited had anti lock brakes, 6 speed, rode 2 people, and a stereo. Still have em both. Probably trade the Limited off this year for an old chevy pickup. To hot to ride in the summer, to busy to ride in the winter. What little I do ride, I tend to grab the the old one with the air seat. Starting to get a twinge of hip pain when I ride to long.
    Yer never to old and fat. You just need to change your riding habits. And get a comfortable seat.
    "EXPERT= Ex is a has been, spurt is a drip under pressure" Unknown

Banned

Well, truthfully, that Bonneville is probably what I need, just take short trips when I feel like it. Good commuter, easy and fun to ride and British twins just look so classy. No shortage here in the Flint Hills of nice rolling country two-lane either. Another thing I lost along the way is a desire to travel much, so the joy riding will likely be the extent of my biking from here on.

Boolit Master
    I bought a new Harley Davidson Sportster, back in February. XL1200NS, in billiard blue. I’m 65 now. I love riding around Prescott, Jerome, Williams, and cruising old Rt. 66. I immediately replaced all lights with LED units for better visibility. Helmets not required here, but I wear one. Leather, boots, gloves, are worn. The best purchase I’ve made in my old age.

Boolit Grand Master
    The Harley Heritage I have has a balanced engine and is fairly smooth. Not near as smooth as my Honda Valkyrie was, but good enough.

I just got rid of my Heritage Classic a week ago. Not because I don't like riding, but people/kids on the road simply don't care anymore, don't pay attention and/or simply have no clue how to safely drive their cars. The last three trips I was on (all SW Ohio), I had almost 3 accidents, none of them caused by me. I did ride for 40 years, but am too young to die because of idiots on the roads
    NRA Certified Instructor Pistol
    NRA Certified Instructor Metallic Cartridge Reloading
    NRA Certified Instructor Shotshell Reloading
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    NRA Life member
    www.primercatcher.com

Boolit Master

When I was a kid, my uncle who lived next door, owned the Honda motorcycle dealership in town. His son was an avid motocross racer, and he and I had a blast riding in the woods.

I have had a few bikes over the years, and absolutely love riding, but just couldn't justify the cost vs practicality of it living up here in the Idaho area. We get about 2-3 months of decent weather, and if you have the right gear, could probably ride nearly 9 months out of the year since roads stay bare so much now.

My last bike was a dual sport DR650. Before that, a HD Road King custom when I lived in Arizona. Loved that bike!

But, Arizona was the epicenter of the universe when it came to men too old to ride buying giant cruisers and committing suicide riding on twisty roads shared with unlicensed illegals headed to construction sites still drunk.

Just so much carnage and death in that area!

Worst I saw was a group of retired first responders sitting at a stoplight when a Mexican high on drugs plowed into them and killed three of them.

https://www.nbcnews.com/id/wbna36040752

This one happened about a half mile from my house and was horrific...

https://www.dcourier.com/news/2011/a...fter-crash-wi/

https://www.dcourier.com/news/2011/a...rs-macdiarmid/

The 63 yr old was riding a new Victory cruiser, which had a reserve fuel tank in the fairing (???). He was going 40 mph in a 35 mph zone and approached the intersection with a green light. A 17 year old girl in a Kia SUV didn't see him and turned right in front of him. He hit the SUV broadside, and all of the fuel in the fairing sprayed all over him and ignited as he was thrown airborne through the intersection.

He was horribly burned and survived a few days on life support before succumbing to his injuries. Ironically and tragically, his nickname was "Cinder".

I stopped riding on the street in Arizona after that.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Buddy
    I enjoy riding, although I find myself with less and less time to do it. I've got 2 evo big twin harleys (Evoken...), and you don't have to dress like a pirate to ride one. As to getting too old to ride, pap was in his 80's before gram finally made him hang it up.
    It is definitely getting to be a more dangerous pastime with all of the knuckleheads on the road. However, we do deal with molten metal and explosive brass containers in this hobby.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Tom View Post
    I just got rid of my Heritage Classic a week ago. Not because I don't like riding, but people/kids on the road simply don't care anymore, don't pay attention and/or simply have no clue how to safely drive their cars. The last three trips I was on (all SW Ohio), I had almost 3 accidents, none of them caused by me. I did ride for 40 years, but am too young to die because of idiots on the roads
    Yep.....a buddy of mine got badly injured. Guy driving the car did not see him (or was not looking for a cycle).
    Don Verna

Boolit Buddy
    Going on 70 I've slowed down a bit, still have my 1971 Super Glide, first year for that model, kick start. Bought a 2009 XL 1200 C a few years back. Electric start, will stop riding when I quit breathing!

I haven’t ridden in years. In the ‘70’s put a lot of miles on a Honda and several years racing short track! The “only” Harley that I would be interested in, would be an XR 750 set-up for 1/2 mile and 1 mile dirt ovals!

If I ever considered another street bike, it would probably be a BMW or a Honda. memtb
    You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“LETS GO BRANDON”

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Tom View Post
    I am in the same place as you, been riding my 65 FLH for probably around 40 years, been from Pa to Maine and to Florida a few times, lots of miles, but last few times out, cannot deal with the people who have their phones in front of their faces. too many close calls, at 72 my reflexes are not as quick anymore. its parked, thinking about selling it, but hard to part with it. do miss it.
    Barry

Boolit Master

inline fours for over forty years.

can't muscle around a heavy bike anymore but still remember what a big four cylinder bike can do.
    (i mean the gravel floored garage and 2.25 miles of crappy gravel road to get to the asphalt. riding itself is near effortless)

this keeps me from buying anything smaller.

WebMonkey
    Retired 19D
    Psalm 91:9
    Honda 919

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast