Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxReloading Everything
RotoMetals2Load DataLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Wideners Snyders Jerky
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Motorcycling

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by higgins View Post
    I've never owned a motorcycle, never really wanted on even at the age when I was supposed to want one. Having said that, if I were to suddenly decide I wanted a motorcycle, especially one that would be reliable and go about anywhere, I would seriously consider the Yamahas that two Germans rode from Germany to India in Himalaya Calling on Amazon Prime video. About the only preparation for the trip was a skid plate under the engine and oil pan and side bars to protect the rider and engine if the bike fell on its side. When you see some of the places they bought gas, you also realize those Yamahas will run on anything resembling gasoline.

Incidentally, this is one of the best travel shows I've ever seen for scenery in places that don't get exposure on many travel shows. Worth a watch if you like either travel shows or motorcycle adventures.
    Thanks for the tip!
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Master
    Rode all my adult life. Even did a solo trip on a Goldwing from Kentucky to Alaska. In over 40 years never so much as laid down a bike. Then last September someone blasted thru a red light and hit me from behind. 13 screws, 3 plates, and almost 5 days in the hospital and I made a promise, no more bikes. Drivers are pure crazy anymore and are always distracted on their phones.
    I'll stick with fast cars. My ZL1 is quicker than the Kawasaki Z900 I was riding when hit. There isn't a 3 day stretch around here where I don't here of a rider getting killed on a bike.
    Miss it? Yes. But I'll stick to a cage from now on.

After insurance totaled my new Z900 I sold my last bike, 2018 VStrom 1000. That thing could flat chew up an interstate. It loved running 75-80 mph. And with Givi panniers it would carry a ton of gear.
    Last edited by snowwolfe; 08-06-2021 at 02:22 PM.
    East Tennessee

Banned

went for a ride yesterday. The son in law is helping me build my house. We are about done. He came over to do some work on his harley soft tail classic (my old bike) . We need some 12/2 and had to run 50 miles to town to get it so i hopped on his bike and went myself. Felt good to ride again but by the time i got back home id had about enough.

I commuted to Dallas and back every day of the week ( 130 miles) for a few years( except in the winter) on a KZ1000 or a Yamaha 650 Special. The KZ was better suited for this.. Good times and terrifying times dodging the rock haulers on highway 114. I gave up motorcycles at my new wife's request 33 years ago. She knows that if she passes first, this guy will be at the motorcycle dealer soon after!

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I got started riding in 1976 on a Yamaha DT400 enduro. Cost $1000 brand new. Got some road rash, broke a wrist and a great toe but learned to handle a powerful dirt bike. In 1981 I bought a new Honda CB900F Super Sport and I found the power and speed intoxicating. Managed to avoid any serious mishaps on that bike somehow. Sold it 1995 and was without a bike until 2002 when I purchased a new Suzuki DL1000 Vstrom. Did a bunch of touring on that. Around Lake Superoir, Sturgis and out to San Diego and back. Also had a 2002 Suzuki SV650 which I heavily modded for sport riding. Passed that bike on to my eldest son and sold the Vstrom in 2011. Got another DL1000 in 2016 and rode that out to Spokane and Tacoma. Did intake, fueling and exhaust mods on it and it really moves. Figure I'll be riding until health prevents it.
    Last edited by Cosmic_Charlie; 08-08-2021 at 05:41 AM.
    "If everyone is thinking the same thing it means someone is not thinking"

"A rat became the unit of currency"

Boolit Grand Master

Many different bikes in over 50 years of riding. In 1974 I got my 100,000 mile marker from Road Rider on a BMW R 90. Don't make as many miles anymore but still get out on the latest, a Yamaha V Star.

Been riding since I was a little kid. But I had to do it on borrowed bikes because mom and dad laid down the law: Stay off the motorcycles. So, we sneaked in rides as often as possible when no adults were around. (They had the same rule about guns, too and with the same effect.)

Of course, when I left home, the first things I bought with my own money was a motorcycle and soon after that, a pistol. The bike was a Honda CB400. The pistol was a Ruger P89DC in 9mm. The bike was my daily commuter, rain, sun, snow, winter, summer, etc. Better than the bus, though, and since it was Southern California, weather wasn't a problem too often. As for the pistol, it was back in the days when CA wasn't so stringent so it was enjoyable too and it got me started reloading.

After that, I got a Honda Shadow 750, my first and only cruiser. Later, I got a sport bike, a Suzuki Katana 1100 and I've been riding sport bikes since. The next bike I got was a Hayabusa and that was a blast. Now, I'm riding a BMW S1000RR and having a blast on it.

At some point in there, I had a few friends (still have those friends, though everyone has moved away) who taught me to ride and to use the right gear.

Nowadays, I don't like to ride on the streets. Very dangerous with people looking at their damn cell phones all the time. Just isn't worth it. I will get out into the local mountains, though, preferably early in the A.M. on a Saturday or Sunday and it's pleasant and enjoyable.

--Wag--
    "Great genius will always encounter fierce opposition from mediocre minds." --Albert Einstein.

Boolit Master
    rode everyday from 16-56 ,hit off once .started 1970 on the road, stopped when i injured my back at work and couldnt ride for a while sold my last bikes.spend my money on guns now.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123