Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2RepackboxInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingLoad DataWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision Snyders Jerky

Thread: Ankara Mauser or Featherweight WSSM for 480 custom Ruger job

Boolit Bub

Ankara Mauser or Featherweight WSSM for 480 custom Ruger job

A gunsmith friend said he would take a look at these actions for me to do a custom 480 ruger bolt action. I found a .475 barrel going cheaply( I assume someones 470 capstick project that never eventuated). Already have 480 ruger on hand, so no better reason to waste even more money on guns

Im not a gunsmith myself, but this fella does custom safari rifles and has put 500 S&W into exmil bolt actions before. As such I assume he will be able to make the call when I get him some dummy rounds to play with.

Thanks for any thoughts though. I know there are some knowledgeable fellas here who have done pistol cartridge conversions on old bolt actions. Feel free to weigh in. I am at the other end of the scale for gunsmith knowledge. I know wssm rims are .535 and the 480 is .542 so I can see a connection there... I have some hazy ideas of the issues feeding will entail with a cartridge only 1.65" long too. Cant say I know much about Turkish mausers though...
    Last edited by stef76; 08-01-2021 at 06:21 AM.

Northern Virginia, where the freeway does roam.
    That's going to be a really cool project once it's been sorted out.

How much free velocity are you going to get based on the barrel length?

I wonder if it's similar to the 357 magnum or 44 magnum, the rifle length barrel gets 500 foot per second additional speed when loaded with ww296.

Even starting powder charges from the rifle , aughta to be able to exceed max charge revolver velocities, bowl anything over in North America that has teeth an claws.

Are you going to hunt, targets shoot, bend or crack steel plates?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Boolit Bub
    Thanks 358429. Im not sure what the gains will be exactly. My 357's get up to 600fps but as I understand 44mag doesnt get quite the same gains in a long barrel. Maybe 350-400fps is reasonable gain for the 480? This post on the Puma/Rossi 92 in 480 ruger gives some idea https://www.gunblast.com/Puma480.htm.
    As to purpose, assuming it works out, I'd like a few loads. One for plinking, one to equate revolver JHP velocities( which should be fairly mild in the rifle) and a hardcast load at highpower to see what it can do. Hunting, plinking and banging plates yes.

Northern Virginia, where the freeway does roam.
    Good article! He did the research for that write up.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I have three Turkish Mausers that I sporterized or customized.
    One I built in .308
    One in 30-06
    And the total custom one in 25-06.
    The action is good and not too expensive.
    The only draw back is that the Turkish ones are mostly Small Ring barrels on a Large Ring Receiver.
    It is hard to find small ring barrels in a lot of calibers.
    But I would just purchase a Large Ring pre threaded barrel and turn the shank down to the Small Ring thread size.

If both actions are available, I would think that the Winchester 70 Super Short Magnum action might be less trouble to get the short rimmed .475 Linebaugh/.480 Ruger round to feed from the magazine. Maybe just neck up the WSSM brass to .475?

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    If both actions are available, I would think that the Winchester 70 Super Short Magnum action might be less trouble to get the short rimmed .475 Linebaugh/.480 Ruger round to feed from the magazine. Maybe just neck up the WSSM brass to .475?

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk
    Thanks for that opinion Texas by God. As to necking up WSSM wouldnt be a bad little wildcat, but Im after 480 ruger specifically for this one, and smaller charges of powder than a 1.6" 475 would entail.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by LAGS View Post
    I have three Turkish Mausers that I sporterized or customized.
    One I built in .308
    One in 30-06
    And the total custom one in 25-06.
    The action is good and not too expensive.
    The only draw back is that the Turkish ones are mostly Small Ring barrels on a Large Ring Receiver.
    It is hard to find small ring barrels in a lot of calibers.
    But I would just purchase a Large Ring pre threaded barrel and turn the shank down to the Small Ring thread size.
    Thanks LAGS, Id never had exposure to them previously

Boolit Master
    There are other rifles out there that use Rimmed Cartridges like the LE and Mosin Nagants.
    Check them out and see what it will take to Re Barrel them to the caliber you want.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I believe Buckshot did a Mauser conversion to a .45 ACP. You may want to try searching for the topic.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Grand Master
    I have a Siamese 45/70.
    Runs smooth as silk.
    Of course , it was a 98 Mauser action that was designed from the " get go " to work with a rimmed cartridge. I hunt white tail deer with this one. It has never failed me !

Converting a standard 98 Mauser over to handle rimmed cartridges is tricky at best, feed rails , the bolt face, the extractor all have to be modified along with the mag box in some cases. Not a job for an amateur. Some very talented and experienced gunsmiths avoid these kinds of jobs ( and for a very good reason ) .

Last edited by Ben; 08-03-2021 at 12:23 PM.

Boolit Master
    I need one or two of the Turk actions and can't find one. I made a lot of custom rifles using that action. You can rethread a Remington 700 take off barrel, and it is possible to adjust headspace for some chambers, with a spacer washer.

Boolit Grand Master
    Most of the Turks are small ring thread, but not all of them.
    Be careful picking a Turk for a rebarreling project.