Titan ReloadingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Repackbox
Snyders Jerky Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Question on 45 long colt throats honed shooting factory and cast boolits

Boolit Bub
    I stumbled upon this thread a few weeks back and reached out to Doug to have the cylinder done on my Ruger large frame I just bought used. When I measured the throat diameter I noticed they were really undersized. I carried it to Doug and had him hone the throats he confirmed they were .449 to start which is way too tight. He sized them out to .4525 and shipped the cylinder back to me in less than a week. The cylinder looks awesome and shoots beautifully. Unfortunately I didn't fire the pistol before sending it out so no way to compare before and after but I'd be willing to bet that the undersized throats were the reason I was able to pick up the pistol used at a good price. Doug does top notch work and I wouldn't hesitate to send him another cylinder if I ever buy another pistol.
    Last edited by JT78; 01-15-2022 at 04:04 PM.

Boolit Master
    Several years ago I noticed that my large frame Vaquero 45 had undersized throats. At the time I was a member of the Sixgunner forum and those guys were circulating a hand reamer around for free to members of the website. I put my name in the hat and got it shipped to me from John Taffin. Following the accompanying instructions I was able to complete the job successfully and now have the correct .4525 throats in my cylinder. Turned a loser into a winner. Sadly a guy somewhere along the line decided to keep the reamer for himself.
    Last edited by txbirdman; 01-15-2022 at 11:24 AM. Reason: Wording correction

Whitetailsniperkirk -

OK, here's the 42nd or so second opinion - let Doug handle the job. He is giving you straight and accurate info. His work will shoot the same.

good luck, garrisonjoe

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12