Lee PrecisionWidenersRotoMetals2Load Data
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 45 Colt Hunting Boolits

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by downzero View Post
    I would recommend the hollow point. I'm going to be hunting this year with my .357 Magnum Rossi R92. I will be using a 158 grain LSWCHP over a healthy dose of H-110.

Were I in your shoes, I would be loading that hollow point bullet over 23-24 grains of H-110. And no, those of you out there who load .45 Colt for an SAA or similar, please don't load or shoot that load anywhere near those guns.

IMHO, your gonna want a SP or is cast a shallow HP. I have first ha d seen and been the sorry bastid who had to chase and track critters shot with the 357 mag and HP of any weight san maybe the 180 XTP.

A 158/160 sp or my fav jacketed the Hornady 158 XTP FP Bullet. Push that to near 1900 with no worries.

With the HP you can get lightning kills and horrendous shallow wounds. ESP in a rifle where velocity is up. Lungs with only ribs hit you will likely be fine. But hit that shoulder or spine you may be introuble. Been there dont that!

Good luck

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by cwlongshot View Post
    IMHO, your gonna want a SP or is cast a shallow HP. I have first ha d seen and been the sorry bastid who had to chase and track critters shot with the 357 mag and HP of any weight san maybe the 180 XTP.

A 158/160 sp or my fav jacketed the Hornady 158 XTP FP Bullet. Push that to near 1900 with no worries.

With the HP you can get lightning kills and horrendous shallow wounds. ESP in a rifle where velocity is up. Lungs with only ribs hit you will likely be fine. But hit that shoulder or spine you may be introuble. Been there dont that!

Good luck

CW
    The deer here out west are small. They are hardly bigger than dogs. It's not like where I'm from in the midwest where they're as big as horses.

Boolit Master

Well yes that makes a difference. Our deer are pretty big. Does are 120+ and our bucks can easily pass 200. (Most 180 ish)

So a FLA swamp deer is allot smaller.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Master
    Going very much over 9.5/Unique/250 tends to be hard on the firearm and doesn't gain a great deal in terms of velocity (at least not in MY 2 firearms). 10.0-10.5/Herco/250 will sometimes bump velocities noticeably higher, depending on the firearm and projectile of interest.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Boolit Master
    I agree with those who say you don't need to drive the RNFP bullets to magnum velocities in your Rossi 92. That said, the Rossi has a fairly slow twist. The three that I have in .357 mag, .44 mag, and .454 Casull all are more accurate with loads over 1400 fps or so (depends on the bullet of course). It also depends on the individual rifle--over the years the Rossi 92s have gone through a lot of iterations and variations with subtle differences.

If your 9.6 grain/Unique load is accurate enough for your needs out of the Rossi, then by all means stick with it. You might try working up to 10 grains and see if it's any more accurate out at 100 yds. It certainly won't hurt the rifle any. We're not talking about a SAA or clone here.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12