RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingWidenersInline Fabrication
RepackboxReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 45 Colt Hunting Boolits

Boolit Buddy

45 Colt Hunting Boolits

I loaded up some 45 Colt ammo this morning for deer hunting this fall. The load was 8.4 grains Unique, WLP primer, new RP brass. The left boolit is a 250 grain PB HP, the center is the same boolit without HP at 255 grain, and the right is a 270 grain FNPB. 3 round average velocities were 1215 for 250 gr, 1183 for 255 gr, and 1167 for the 270 gr. All fired in Rossi 92 rifle. Not alot of difference between 255 and 270.
    Attachment 286866
    I'm planning on trying to get the 270 up to 1300 or so with the Unique. Does anyone hunt with the 270? And at what velocities? Maximum distance will be 130 yards.
    The HP's would probably not work well on deer and I loaded them just because I had a bunch.
    "EXPERT= Ex is a has been, spurt is a drip under pressure" Unknown

Boolit Master
    I ve used the lee 455-255 rf behind unique, on deer. For some odd reason, I didn't get pass through, but it worked. My processor found the slug and saved it for me

Boolit Master

8.4grs Unique ? 270gr bullet?
    And you're getting over 1150fps ?
    Ya gotta be shooting this in a rifle.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Master
    my rossi 92 is shooting great with clww boolits out of mp 454360 20 grains of 4227 with wlp primer lube sized to .454

Boolit Buddy
    The 270 WFN would be my choice, but I'd put a little heavier crimp on those rounds. 9.6 gr of Unique should give about 1275' @ 22 kpsi. How strong is the Rossi 92, can it handle tier II 45 Colt loads?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by black mamba View Post
    How strong is the Rossi 92, can it handle tier II 45 Colt loads?
    It's a VERY strong design based on the Winchester 1892 - one of John Browning's best. It will take Ruger-only loads without batting an eye.

Don
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Boolit Buddy
    There is a crimp just not much. I did push one hard on the bench and it didn't move. Pics don't show it much. I thought I had some data from Taffin but can't seem to find it in my notebooks. Time for google search.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks, Don, I thought the Rossi was pretty strong. Cast bullets seem to have the best penetration at around 1250 striking velocity, combining maximum depth and straightness. Slower and they lose depth due to lack of momentum, and faster causes bullet deformation which can both slow them down and make them veer off course. This is why a lot of experienced handgun hunters keep muzzle velocities around 1300 fps with cast bullets. For bigger game where you want all the power you can get, then mono-metal flat nosed bullets can be driven much faster without deforming.

Boolit Buddy
    Loaded 5 rnds with the 270 gr over 9.7 unique for an average of 1285 fps. That was my largest star powder bushing. This evening when it's cooler I'll make a bushing to to throw 10 grains to see what it gets to.

I never had much luck with anything over 9.5 grains of unique in 45 colt. When I want tier 2 loads, I use 18.0-18.5 grains of 2400. I use a noe 280 wfn over 18.0 grains of 2400 for my hunting load.
    Due to the price of primers, warning shots will no longer be given!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheelguns 1961 View Post
    When I want tier 2 loads, I use 18.0-18.5 grains of 2400.
    Ditto.

Don
    NRA Life Member

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelguns 1961 View Post
    I never had much luck with anything over 9.5 grains of unique in 45 colt. When I want tier 2 loads, I use 18.0-18.5 grains of 2400. I use a noe 280 wfn over 18.0 grains of 2400 for my hunting load.
    Me too. It works in .44 Magnum too with 240 to 260gr swc........
    JMHO-YMMV
    dd884
    gary@2texastrucks.com
    Gary D. Peek

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    I've never seen any need to use Tier 2 "Ruger Only" loads in the .45 Colt for either rifle or revolver. The 260-290 grain ogival flatnosed bullets having a meplat of 0.6 of the bullet diameter or larger are effective on game and give complete through and through penetration. No expansion is needed or desired. Cast lead HP bullets often fragment, cause excessive meat damage and fail to give adequate penetration on animals larger than white tails. I use 7.2 grains of Bullseye with any bullet from 230 to 300 grains.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    I've never seen any need to use Tier 2 "Ruger Only" loads in the .45 Colt for either rifle or revolver. The 260-290 grain ogival flatnosed bullets having a meplat of 0.6 of the bullet diameter or larger are effective on game and give complete through and through penetration. No expansion is needed or desired. Cast lead HP bullets often fragment, cause excessive meat damage and fail to give adequate penetration on animals larger than white tails. I use 7.2 grains of Bullseye with any bullet from 230 to 300 grains.
    This ^^^^
    USMC 6638

Boolit Buddy
    Stuck on Unique powder because I have 16 pounds of unique, 1 pound of 2400. I think I'll leave it at 9.6. Spent all afternoon and evening putting a new AC unit in the reloading room. 1285 should be just fine. I will see how they shoot in the 460 smith tomorrow.

Boolit Master

I agree with Ed. Your FINE!! Esp inside 100ish!!

Truck loads have fallen to Mine give me the confidence to know its solid fact.

Find a accurate load 1000+ a bit and forget about needing more.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    Ed,

Tier 2 are not "Ruger Only" loads - that would be Tier 3. Tier 2 simply takes the psi up from 14k to a little over 20k. Guns that are capable of and benefit by Tier 2 loads are the Smith & Wesson N Frames and the Ruger New Vaquero. With my S&W 25-5, 18.0gr of 2400 behind a 265gr SWCHP gets me about 1050fps - 1100fps and has killed several deer. Never recovered a bullet from them and puts them down with authority without excessive meat damage.

Don
    NRA Life Member

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Quote Originally Posted by USSR View Post
    Ed,

Tier 2 are not "Ruger Only" loads - that would be Tier 3. Tier 2 simply takes the psi up from 14k to a little over 20k. Guns that are capable of and benefit by Tier 2 loads are the Smith & Wesson N Frames and the Ruger New Vaquero. With my S&W 25-5, 18.0gr of 2400 behind a 265gr SWCHP gets me about 1050fps - 1100fps and has killed several deer. Never recovered a bullet from them and puts them down with authority without excessive meat damage.

Don
    Don,

The clarification is very much appreciated. You are correct, of course.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by USSR View Post
    Ed,

Don
    I've killed a bunch of deer with .45 AR from a S&W 625 .45 ACP Mountain Gun using 255 Keith SWCs over 6.5 Unique at about 875 fps. Shoots all the way through, kills very well and isn't hard on the gun. I realize folks like more velocity, but in this case I don't think there's a need.
    Colt's Manufacturing Company Armorer Instructor
    Aimpoint USA L/E Pro Staff
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Boolit Buddy
    I would recommend the hollow point. I'm going to be hunting this year with my .357 Magnum Rossi R92. I will be using a 158 grain LSWCHP over a healthy dose of H-110.

Were I in your shoes, I would be loading that hollow point bullet over 23-24 grains of H-110. And no, those of you out there who load .45 Colt for an SAA or similar, please don't load or shoot that load anywhere near those guns.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast