Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLee Precision
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Wideners

Thread: 480 Ruger - lighter bullets and reduced loads

Boolit Bub

480 Ruger - lighter bullets and reduced loads

Hi Fellas, any good lighter bullets or hollowpoint molds suggested for this calibre? Most the data out there is pretty heavy. Im looking for something more along the lines of using it like a scaled up 44 special or 45 colt. Say 800-900fps with 250-300 grain bullets.

Also as I am only a beginner caster is there a big step in technicality to casting hollowpoints. Will probably draw some laughter but I was even thinking of drilling holes in normal bullets This is a fun project, not too serious, but still keen to see it through.
    Last edited by stef76; 07-31-2021 at 03:52 AM.

Boolit Master
    No help on the lighter boolit side except look at Accurate Molds or NOE Molds. Tom at Accurate can make just about whatever you want with a flat nose, NOE can do hollow point molds. Hollow point molds just take a little more attention to keeping the HP pins hot. Some people here use a Forster tool to drill HPs into their boolits, it can be done.

Boolit Grand Master

I'm not aware of a bullet in that weight range. That's getting to be very stubby. You might be able to find a hollow point that gets you in to the upper 200's though. My first instinct is to try standard .490" round balls in it at your stated velocity. If they chamber, they would probably shoot decent.

Boolit Bub
    Thanks Fellas, Sigep 1764 whats the forster tool? I might try drilling some bought bullets then.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    I'm not aware of a bullet in that weight range. That's getting to be very stubby. You might be able to find a hollow point that gets you in to the upper 200's though. My first instinct is to try standard .490" round balls in it at your stated velocity. If they chamber, they would probably shoot decent.
    Thanks I adjusted bullet weight to 250-300. Roundball is a bit light for the application I have, but I might try it as well.

Boolit Buddy
    When I began load testing with the Accurate 48-325P I tried 18.5 gr of 2400 and it gave 946 fps out of a 4 5/8ths barrel. I also used 11.4 gr Unique which produced 1,020 fps out of the same gun, although you could drop a grain and probably shave another 75 fps. A 300 gr. boolit would be my choice for lighter loads as you could probably adjust 325 gr data somewhat to get a load which is both pleasant and consistent. You could probably drop bullet weight and get even lighter but that would require a lot of load work and the risk of a squib increases.

Boolit Buddy
    I have designed a 275gr cast bullet for my 480, and have some cast and coated but haven't had time to work up a load yet. I am planning on 1050-1100 fps as a nice target and hunting round. (Hogs mostly)Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20210731-092900_Chrome.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	31.3 KB 
ID:	286860

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by blue32 View Post
    When I began load testing with the Accurate 48-325P I tried 18.5 gr of 2400 and it gave 946 fps out of a 4 5/8ths barrel. I also used 11.4 gr Unique which produced 1,020 fps out of the same gun, although you could drop a grain and probably shave another 75 fps. A 300 gr. boolit would be my choice for lighter loads as you could probably adjust 325 gr data somewhat to get a load which is both pleasant and consistent. You could probably drop bullet weight and get even lighter but that would require a lot of load work and the risk of a squib increases.
    Thanks Id be looking to use less powder too.

The 45 colt has plenty of data for 250-275 grain bullets, single digit charges and pressures still well under 15,000PSi.
    Eg hodgon 6.2 grains IMR Red, 250 grain , 896fps and 13,400PSI

The 480 ruger is only 2-3 grains bigger case but best I can find is Hodgons minimum load( apart from the trailboss one) 9.7 grains of titegroup back of a 355 grain at 1100fps for 37,000PSI

There is a whole loading level for this cartridge missing and Id like to tap into it. Lower velocities, lighter bullets, less powder and half the pressures.
    Last edited by stef76; 07-31-2021 at 10:31 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    I have a 480 and bought it because it is a thumper. There are handguns that are more powerful by far but it is something I can handle . Also have 44 spl, 44 mag, 45 colt. I wonder why you bought a 480 if you want to turn it into a milder gun? You could have bought a milder caliber and saved some money. It's difficult to make 1 gun do everything.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by 762sultan View Post
    I have a 480 and bought it because it is a thumper. There are handguns that are more powerful by far but it is something I can handle . Also have 44 spl, 44 mag, 45 colt. I wonder why you bought a 480 if you want to turn it into a milder gun? You could have bought a milder caliber and saved some money. It's difficult to make 1 gun do everything.
    Same reason folks load 44 special level in a 44mag or 38 levels in a 357. Cheaper, less recoil, multi-purpose or plain fun.

Boolit Master
    Here is the web page for the hollow pointing tool.
    https://www.forsterproducts.com/prod...-pointer-kits/

Boolit Bub
    Ok so more like I have been chasing
    Of course the caveats hold for data provided from private individuals.
    https://singleactions.proboards.com/...uper-blackhawk

Of note in the data
    300 grain LRNFP, Win231, 7.5 grains, 830fps
    Titegroup, 8.0 grains, 929fps

Also if going lighter, a 275 grain bullet in the .475 cal has same SD as a 250 grain 45 colt.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by sigep1764 View Post
    Here is the web page for the hollow pointing tool.
    https://www.forsterproducts.com/prod...-pointer-kits/
    Thanks sigep1764. So what size holes could this drill in a 475 projectile?