MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRotoMetals2Lee Precision
RepackboxSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingWideners
Titan Reloading Load Data
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: jm marlins keep going up $$$$?

Boolit Master
    All -

Howdy !

IMHO - there is a sub-set of J.M. Marlin lever rifles, which I believe will end-up being more valued than the main line rifles.
    Those would be the " XLR " series. And then within those, the calibre(s) produced in the least total quantity.

I did not follow the XLR series tremendously close during its production run, but it struck me that the .35Remington-chambered rifles were in the minority.

When I read that Marlin was selling out to Remington, I bought a .35 Rem XLR with full confidence we would not be seeing a gun of this kind, again. Mine is from within the last 2yr of production @ the CT factory.

My XLR is just stupid accurate, which might in-part be attributed to its deep 12-groove " Ballard " type rifling. The gun far and away outshoots the mid -60's M-336C .35 Rem I used to have.

IMHO - The M-336 XLR was the zenith of Marlin being on top of the lever gun heap. If my rifle is any indication, Marlin worker' pride was right there to very near the end; and those guns likely will remain unrivaled.

With regards,
    357Mag

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by HATCH View Post
    Sorry to bring up a year old thread but I was looking at a 1894fg in 41 mag and it was over $2000.
    Are used but in excellent shape 1894 41 mag lever guns going for that much?
    Or what do you think the price should be when purchasing one??
    Wow. I don't remember what mine cost but I know it was probably in the $600 range or less and within the last 6-7 years. I love my JM's but prices for everything are becoming unreal. Good luck in your search for one.
    Ron

Love my JM's, there's a dozen in the safe, would be 13, but
    I let a Glenfield 30-30 go a couple years back.
    Wish I'd of kept it now.

RP

Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care".

Boolit Bub
    Dad has one of the last 336 JMs before being sold to Remington. The gun shots excellent with a max load of LeverE and a 160 FTX. However, the action is not that smooth and worse than that, the barrel has pits in it 1/3 way down the barrel. Lastly, the wood fit at the metal junction stands proud.

While JMs command a premium, I still see them as a working man’s rifle. There is nothing finely finished about them. They wouldn’t be my first choice if looking for a lever gun right now.

Boolit Bub
    I just checked my 336 in 30-30, I paid $195 to a guy who needed the cash. It's a JM, although I just bought it because it was well priced. Didn't even haggle, it looks like it just came out of the box. I didn't realize these rifles would appreciate like this! I'm confused though, my S/N says 2009 production, Marlin sold to Remington in 2007. Did these rifles continue to use the JM stamp after Remington purchased Marlin?
    Last edited by Greg Mercurio; 09-26-2022 at 03:14 PM. Reason: Added text.

Quote Originally Posted by 357Mag View Post
    All -

Howdy !

IMHO - there is a sub-set of J.M. Marlin lever rifles, which I believe will end-up being more valued than the main line rifles.
    Those would be the " XLR " series. And then within those, the calibre(s) produced in the least total quantity.

I did not follow the XLR series tremendously close during its production run, but it struck me that the .35Remington-chambered rifles were in the minority.

When I read that Marlin was selling out to Remington, I bought a .35 Rem XLR with full confidence we would not be seeing a gun of this kind, again. Mine is from within the last 2yr of production @ the CT factory.

My XLR is just stupid accurate, which might in-part be attributed to its deep 12-groove " Ballard " type rifling. The gun far and away outshoots the mid -60's M-336C .35 Rem I used to have.

IMHO - The M-336 XLR was the zenith of Marlin being on top of the lever gun heap. If my rifle is any indication, Marlin worker' pride was right there to very near the end; and those guns likely will remain unrivaled.

With regards,
    357Mag
    +1 I owned an XLR in .30-30, bought it for $650, sold it for $1150 less than 2 years later. Had similar experiences with 336SC guns in .35Rem.
    I would expect Henry to be going up on their MSRPs soon unless Ruger can demonstrate JM-like quality from their new production.

Boolit Buddy
    I have an XLR in 444 Marlin, it is very accurate as well. Currently have 44 mag, 45-70 SBL, and 450 Marlin Guide gun. All Jm's and well made. Traded the 45-70 LTD V for a Colt single action Sherriff's model with spare cylinder, doubled my money.

Afraid to look at prices right now.

Don

Boolit Buddy
    When I went to buy my first rifle, a Colt, quite a while back, I (brand new to purchasing guns) expected it to cost three or four thousand. I was mighty surprised that it came in at about a quarter of that. How could a finely machined piece of high-end, precision steel cost so little? I wondered why you could buy a brand new, high-end rifle for a third the cost of a beater car.

In my opinion, guns have been undervalued for a long time. I am not saying I want to pay more. Just that with inflation and the immense growth in the gun-owning community the past few years, their price may rise to reflect real value.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    From a functional standpoint, I think Henry or an Italian import is the only way to go these days. I love old Marlins and Winnies but they aren't a good value anymore.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    From a functional standpoint, I think Henry or an Italian import is the only way to go these days. I love old Marlins and Winnies but they aren't a good value anymore.
    I will put up my JM Marlin made in the 60's against any of the new ones out there. At best they may be as good, but most likely are not. But then I only paid $200 for mine used.

I don't doubt what you are saying at all, however for the same money I would rather take a chance on a new rifle that still has factory support. It would really suck to plunk down the same amount for a handsome old Marlin or Winchester and then discover the bore is trashed and/or it has serious feed issues. Now if I found a 336 or 94 for $200.00 or so I would absolutely buy it, but we know that ain't happening.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

I guess it depends on what and why you are buying. Marlins, especially the 336 are pretty simple in their operation and easy to evaluate. The question if you are strictly looking at economics is will those $1000+ Henry’s or Italian imports ever appreciate in value like the Marlins have ?

The Henry's and Italians would have to be discontinued to appreciate in value, which of course I hope doesn't happen. The "old" Rossi lever actions made before Taurus bought them have appreciated to as much or more than a new Braztech gun. The real risk when buying any used gun is online, where you can't inspect it in person. There are no used lever actions in shops around here, and I go looking frequently. Therefore if I wanted to get one it would have to be online and I would run the risk of buying someone else's problems.

Quote Originally Posted by barnetmill View Post
    I will put up my JM Marlin made in the 60's against any of the new ones out there. At best they may be as good, but most likely are not. But then I only paid $200 for mine used.
    Dittos. My .35 Remington 336 is my Dad's last deer gun, so it can't be sold, but the .30-30 I bought used in Y2K for $180 is an investment that will pay off.
    Cognitive Dissident

I remember walking into a shop around 2002. They had a rack full of nice 94's and 336's that weren't moving because they were "overpriced" at around $200.00 each. They also had a cabinet full of S&W and Ruger .357's all under three bills each that weren't moving because everybody wanted a Glock or Beretta with a $100.00 preban mag. Those were the days!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123