WidenersInline FabricationTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxLee PrecisionLoad DataReloading Everything
RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: jm marlins keep going up $$$$?

Boolit Master

jm marlins keep going up $$$$?

I was kind of amazed Wednesday watching a marlin 444s sell for $1035 through rock island auction. it was a nice clean gun but nothing overly spectacular. similar marlin 444's seem to have been selling for about $700-$800 on gun broker. Is this a true indication of the current market for JM stamped marlins?

USMC 77, USRA 79

i love to see my investments going up up and away!!!!!
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

The prices of EVERYTHING has risen, some items dramatically - welcome to the new reality.........
    Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Yes, inflation has hit just about everything, but the Marlins have risen drastically. Hard to find a 35 Remington 336 for less than $600.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    The 1982 Marlin 1894 .357 that I bought like new for $250.00 in 1998 has appreciated around 400%. I've turned down a few $1000.00 offers for it. The only new guns I can think of which are comparable are the equally pricey Winoku 92's and the Henry which is only a few hundred cheaper. Some of the Rossi variants are up to Henry prices which I think is nuts.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master
    Older Marlins are becoming more of a collector item. The common thought is the JM made versions were better than the Rem made versions.

But, if Ruger does a good job with the new ones then that might change the demand and prices may drop again.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Markopolo View Post
    i love to see my investments going up up and away!!!!!
    Yep...I have three. Sold one many years ago and regret it....just had no use for a .44 Mag lever action. They are a great gun but find it hard to justify the current prices.
    Don Verna

With I didn’t sell my 1967 4444

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

My wife's insurance agent offered me $900 for my JM 336 30-30 just last week. He said he'd been looking for a 30-30 for a while and can't find one anywhere. It was a tempting offer but I turned him down. When he left he said to let him know if I change my mind. Made me think of that old saying "Guns will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no guns." Yup.
    Last edited by centershot; 08-01-2021 at 05:00 PM. Reason: I need to learn to type
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Boolit Master
    A couple years ago my brother called and said his boss told him he was getting out of hunting to stick with trap shooting. Picked up a near new JM 336 .30-30 for $250. I didn't need it, but--I'm sure glad I took the offer. GF

Moderator Emeritus

Wow. I won't sell mine but have a few JM 30-30's and 35 Rems along with a few others. Glad they are a decent investment for my kids someday. I just love the JM Marlins.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Hard to believe that once upon a time every pawn shop had a rack of mint 336's and 94's for under $200.00 each and nobody was buying them. I'm not talking about when my dad was growing up, I'm talking late 90's!
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Buddy
    Last year I paid $200.00 For a like new mint 1980 30-30 336, felt like I over paid. Fast forward one year I guess not.

Boolit Master
    A few years back I picked up an early 70's Glenfield at my lgs for $275 I think. Nice shape and a great shooter with cast. 25 years ago used levers were dirt cheap and did not move very fast.
    "If everyone is thinking the same thing it means someone is not thinking"

"A rat became the unit of currency"

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by slohunter View Post
    Last year I paid $200.00 For a like new mint 1980 30-30 336, felt like I over paid. Fast forward one year I guess not.
    I think your mind was a decade behind on pricing. That seems like a great deal.
    "If everyone is thinking the same thing it means someone is not thinking"

"A rat became the unit of currency"

Boolit Buddy
    i give up....how do i find out if my marlin 357 is a "JM" or not ? thanks !

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by green mountain boy View Post
    i give up....how do i find out if my marlin 357 is a "JM" or not ? thanks !
    Look on the barrel just forward of the receiver, should be a capitol "JM" stamped in it on the side opposite the ejection port.
    An old Cherokee was teaching his grandson about life. "Inside me two wolves fight," he told the boy.
    "One is evil - he is anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity, resentment, lies, false pride, and ego. The other is good - he is joy, love, hope, serenity, humility, kindness, generosity, truth and faith. The same fight is inside you - and every other person, too."
    The grandson thought for a minute and asked,"Which wolf will win?"
    The old Cherokee replied, "The one you feed."

I've got two 336s and two 39as, all of which I've owned for ove 20 years. Guess I made a good investment.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master
    Old guy memory seems to remember that in the 80's one could just about their pick of lever actions either Marlin or Winchester for about $125. Course the pre '64 1894's made by Winchester would set you back a little more. Gun shops wouldn't give much for the lever action rifles or carbines and that was often reflected in their prices. You could walk into any gun shop and just about be guaranteed to find a few in the racks. Frank

Boolit Master
    Expect it to continue. Unless John Marlin comes back and starts doing QC inspections again.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast