WidenersLee PrecisionReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
RepackboxTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Load Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Remington M788 6mm Remington, 3-9X Bushnell.

Boolit Master

Remington M788 6mm Remington, 3-9X Bushnell.

Another rifle I haven't shot in awhile; got it out today. I posted about it 6 or so years ago; it is left handed. I wanted to see what it was sighted for. Factory Remington 100 gr spitzer soft point was about on point of aim at 100 yards, tested with 1 shot.We have to be very frugal with ammo and components these days due to current conditions. Anyway, I first tried a CB load of the SAECO RG6 100 grain GC with 14.0 grains of 4227 which gave me a 3-shot group of 2.1 inches, 4 inches below POA at 100 yards.
    Next I shifted to a jacketed bullet, the Speer 105 grain round nose soft point with 44.0 grains of 4831. The group of 3 at 100 yards was 1.05 inches, 4 inches above and 2.5 inches right of POA. Wanting to discover the trajectory of this load, I fired a 2-shot group at 300 yards, giving a 1.0 inch group 4.5 inches below and 5 inches right of POA. These rounds were loaded back in September 2015. I expended 9 rounds, and found out what I wanted to know.
    "You will wantonly strike a hornet's nest which extends from mountains to ocean, and legions, now quiet, will swarm out and sting us to death. It is unnecessary; it puts us in the wrong; it is fatal." Robert Toombs, Democrat of Georgia, warning of the results of the imminent attack of the Confederacy upon Fort Sumter in Charleston Harbor, 1861

USMC 77, USRA 79

the M788 is a fine rifle.. glad it stayed inline for ya,....
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

I'd love to have a Remington 788 6mm- with the bolt handle on either side. A 22-250 788 was my introduction to centerfire rifles- and a good one.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy

I know the 6mm bullets are in short supply and impossible to find but I you have a mold and can cast your boolits you should get that fine ole rifle out to the range more often.
    I have been ground hog hunting with a 788 in 243 win for over 35 years. Regretted sell the 22-250 for some other rifle that has been long gone.

Banned

My 788 in 6mm is one that will never leave me.

I never saw a 788 that wasn't a pretty good shooter. I've had a few over the years. The 6mm has always been a great shooter, though I'm not real sure it'll outperform the economy rifles of today.

Same here, won't ever get rid of it. Mine likes RL17 and simple Interlok projectiles, she's not too finicky at all.

Boolit Master
    When I say we have to be frugal, this caliber is an example. No one seems to have ammunition for it. Same as for the .338 RCM and .338 Federal I mentioned in my recent post. All out of stock on Natchez, Midway, and Midsouth. The rounds are made of unobtanium, maybe. I do understand that manufacturers have to catch up on .22LR, 5.56mm, 7.62x51mm, 9mm, and .45ACP. Foreign firms are filling the void too: Aguila, Tulammo, PPU, Fiocchi, and others. All I say is, if you can’t get it, shoot sparingly with what you’ve got.
    "You will wantonly strike a hornet's nest which extends from mountains to ocean, and legions, now quiet, will swarm out and sting us to death. It is unnecessary; it puts us in the wrong; it is fatal." Robert Toombs, Democrat of Georgia, warning of the results of the imminent attack of the Confederacy upon Fort Sumter in Charleston Harbor, 1861

Banned

6mm never has been that common. Best to handload for it.

I am set up and have cast some bullets for mine, but so far, I've only provided some for my brother's .243, but he was pleased with how they shot.

Mine really likes Winchester 760 and 100 grain Hornady Interlocks.