Load DataTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Lee Precision Wideners

Thread: New to me 9mm 1911, Rock Island

Boolit Master

New to me 9mm 1911, Rock Island

traded into a slightly use 1911 RI 9mm yesterday. It has the ambi safety and beavertail grip safety, novak style sights, 3 dot, and straight checkered back of the grip. It shoots dang good, for what it is, I have about $350 in it, and it is keeping 9 rounds in a snuff can at 20 yds, offhand with both hands, weaver stance, Win. 115 white box cheap ammo. This is the 2nd one of these I have, and it has a dang nice trigger, tight lockup with the barrel when the slide is closed, no movement, and a tight barrel bushing, those are 3 things it takes to make a 1911 shoot well, with a good bore/barrel of course.

Boolit Master

I have 2 RIA 9mms. An older one with the billboard logo. And a newer one with the fiber optic front sight. I like them both very much. Congrats on the rock.
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

Quote Originally Posted by koger View Post
    traded into a slightly use 1911 RI 9mm yesterday. It has the ambi safety and beavertail grip safety, novak style sights, 3 dot, and straight checkered back of the grip. It shoots dang good, for what it is, I have about $350 in it, and it is keeping 9 rounds in a snuff can at 20 yds, offhand with both hands, weaver stance, Win. 115 white box cheap ammo. This is the 2nd one of these I have, and it has a dang nice trigger, tight lockup with the barrel when the slide is closed, no movement, and a tight barrel bushing, those are 3 things it takes to make a 1911 shoot well, with a good bore/barrel of course.
    I have one of those also. Not quite as good as my Range Officer 9mm, but very close. I can get two of those for the price of my Range Officer.

Boolit Grand Master
    Just goes to show that old Mr Browning knew how to design a semiautomatic pistol. Forty five acp wasn't his first choice either, but his design provided a platform for a plethora of calibers. The nine mm isn't even a challenge for it.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master

I have a RIA 1911 .45 I bought in 2007, basically as a sacrificial pistol to practice basic 1911-smithing on (trigger- and sear-jobs, safeties, sights, etc).

Turns out she's quite a performer and to this day is my favorite 1911 - I rarely bother to take out my Colt as the RIA does everything reliably.

My Iraq Pics

Preferred Travel Agent - 72 Virgins Dating Club

Boolit Master

Nice Rock Andy.
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyC View Post
    I have a RIA 1911 .45 I bought in 2007, basically as a sacrificial pistol to practice basic 1911-smithing on (trigger- and sear-jobs, safeties, sights, etc).

Turns out she's quite a performer and to this day is my favorite 1911 - I rarely bother to take out my Colt as the RIA does everything reliably.

I'm finding the same to be true also Andy.

Boolit Master
    Got a Rock Island in 10mm. Great shooter

Boolit Master
    I have the 22 tcm / 9mm combo. We worked very hard on getting the 22tcm to run. Just as the op said it’s a good gun. Love the 22 part just hard to get ammo.
    Stop being blinded by your own ignorance.

Boolit Buddy
    I used to have a RIA 1911 in 45 that I shot USPSA Single Stack with. It was a great gun. As accurate as I needed and reliable. I sold it to a buddy to by a S&W. I have a 10mm double stack inbound. Hopefully, it proves to be as dependable.

Boolit Master
    I should add I have about 3k rounds of 9mm down mine and other than cleaning it runs like a top.
    Stop being blinded by your own ignorance.