WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLee Precision
Load DataTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gelatin pill capsules for 44 Mag

Gelatin pill capsules for 44 Mag

I'm sure this must have been tried before, but I can't seem to find out any info on it. As the title says, I'm looking for info on 44 mag shotshells using veterinary pill capsules. 000 is the largest diameter I can locate, and they are still about .030" undersize on the diameter. If you can steer me in the right direction, it would be greatly appreciated.

Someone with design skills could create a file for 3D printing them.

why mess around. Use the originals.
    https://www.speer.com/bullets/shot_capsules/
    Deplorable infidel

USMC 77, USRA 79

I buy them on ebay for making medicines.... no reason they wouldnt work for shot capusules, but I think 000 is the largest size commonly made, even for pets... livestock perhaps... might wanna check out vet supositories.
    Last edited by Markopolo; 07-30-2021 at 10:59 PM.
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Not sure if you even need capsules anymore. Make a barrier between the powder & shot. After the shot, seal it up with fingernail polish, or another method.

One thing I’ve found, even with the capsules, at times shotshells may not do well in a cylinder under recoil. That’s more an issue towards the end of the cylinder while full power loads are shot. That was limited testing.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Lots of ways to make good shot shells that work.

I am thinking on 3d printing, but you could use wood as a wad bottom, tie paper, cardboard, cloth, glassine, mylar, ??? to it with strong thread, use a thin wood or cardboard disk as a top cover?

And I have wondered if you couldn't get an injection mold made and get some made cheap (Model Railroaders often have a local injection molding shop who makes stuff for their dioramas, same rough size as a shot capsule, and thats relatively low cost.

Bakelite for shot capsules, polycarconate might do?

Nylon maybe for the bases?

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    LOTS of options for materials, could even use steam to press a resin impregnated paper into a shot cup form?

Boolit Grand Master
    Or you can do this: https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...oads-that-WORK!

A bit of tinkering around to make the tools, an empty milk jug, and you're set for life.

Robert

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Quote Originally Posted by fastdadio View Post
    why mess around. Use the originals.
    https://www.speer.com/bullets/shot_capsules/
    They are all “currently unavailable”.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Quote Originally Posted by Mk42gunner View Post
    Or you can do this: https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...oads-that-WORK!

A bit of tinkering around to make the tools, an empty milk jug, and you're set for

Robert
    The thread posted here is very interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    They are all “currently unavailable”.
    Figgers. I'm shocked I tell ya....
    Deplorable infidel

I failed to mention, I'll be using these in a T/C hotshot barrel. The capsules from Speer as well as original Hotshot capsules are like finding hen's teeth.

Thanks Mk42gunner, that thread deserves a good long look.

Boolit Grand Master
    Not sure if Geargnasher is still around or not, but he did do a lot of development work on stuff. The sticky of his is what got me to try using McDonalds straws for .32 caliber shot containers. IIRC the ones I made held 67 grains of #12 shot, which doesn't sound like a lot but it is roughly three times the amount in a .22 LR shot shell and those do fine on Mr. No Shoulders around the house.

Robert

Boolit Buddy
    There are larger diameter straws than McDonalds. I've seen some that are almost 1/2 inch diameter. And saved them. They seem to be used for milkshakes, and can be found on ebay.
    For a TC 44 Hotshot barrel, a powder charge of choice, a .410 wad, filled with shot and taped closed, and a styrofoam overshot wad pushed into the barrel just the right distance to allow the case and 410 wad to chamber, is slow but works well. A muzzle loading short starter, adjusted for proper length will seat the wad. Tape that sticks to 410 wad petals and breaks easily is what to use.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Seitz 555 View Post
    I failed to mention, I'll be using these in a T/C hotshot barrel. The capsules from Speer as well as original Hotshot capsules are like finding hen's teeth.
    In the "good ole days" I drilled one Speer capsule thru and thru, then glued it on another to make a double long tube..
    excellent in my Contender

Boolit Buddy
    Looking at the huge variety of spent plastic wads scattered over the grounds of our local shotgun club I have often wondered if some of those wads could be altered to hold shot in some rifle and pistol cases, matching the caliber to the wad or the piece of the wad. We had a fellow shoot with us for years that was a resident caretaker at a shotgun club when he was a college student and he reused wads as a cost savings. Once a year we rake up the wads and send them to the landfill.

Boolit Buddy
    No one wants to buy my Speer box of fifty caps loaded with #9 shot, go figure.
    West of Beaver Dick's Ferry.

Boolit Bub
    Would 444 cases work? Trim to the lenght you want, neck size to fit the cyl . You could get a lot of shot in them One day, going to try this Need to aquire some 444 brass. Going to try 357 max brass for 38

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jmcghee View Post
    Would 444 cases work? Trim to the lenght you want, [b]neck size to fit the cyl .[b]
    Yes.

Going to try 357 max brass for 38
    Yes again.

Many people seem to be dissapointed at the short range shot loads are good. Most shot loads only work fairly well inside 5 yards; most are half that. No matter what we do, the pellet load will be quite small, the over powder wad will blow by, the rifling is going to scatter the shot collumn and the over shot wad is iffy at best if any full power loads are fired alongside of them. Be reasonable about your expectations and you'll likely be happier.

Given real world revolver shot targets, I'm comfortable with ranges as close as 2 yards from my deadly "long case" .357 and .44 mag snake loads.

In my experience, auto pistol cases are just too small to even bother with shot loads.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast