WidenersLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLoad Data
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication

Thread: Used Cast Boolit wisdom for great success! Thanks! I'm learning!

Used Cast Boolit wisdom for great success! Thanks! I'm learning!

Using what I learned here about handling mould heat:
    https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...5-cavity-mould

I applied to this mould:
    https://www.mp-molds.com/product/357...e-groove-mold/

When I set up outdoors to cast it was an ideal day, temp near 70 (noon), sunny, low humidity, light random breeze. I had a few hours, so I decided to cast bullets. Using the information given to me and using my one mould and the sorta wet towel technique I was able to cast bullets as fast as I cared to. In maybe 2 hours, and that included melting the lead, I'm guessing I cast maybe 1k bullets with very few culls and most of them were called culls as the mould finished coming up to temp'. I still need to work on my work area as I'm leaning over far too much and that aggravates my old body. But I'm honing my technique and I gotta tell you that feels good. I used to look at bullet casting as being on a par with alchemy. It was a dark magic that only special people knew.

Arrgh! I lost track of the day and what started out as pretty much ideal turned into overcast (no problem there) but the humidity increased quite a bit and when I was ready to quit when I realized how uncomfortable it had gotten. But no one controls the weather. It was a very productive 2 hours. In a few days I'll coat, size, get a better count and put them on the shelf.

I did bring a random 225gr .309 finished bullet to show a fellow reloader today and he pronounced it, "That's a good looking bullet.". I agree, but looks don't count. I need to work up a load for them some day and test them out of a barrel. Maybe this season, maybe next. I can't imagine them not working fine though.

But so far I'm tickled. Thanks Cast Booliters! This forum is my only source for casting info. So learning to cast boolits can be done just by using the 'net.

Boolit Master
    Glad it's working for you.

I'm happy for you! Over the past few years, I have picked up tips here that I am sure I don't even remember where it came from, but I use all the time. This forum is all about practical knowledge.

Wayne
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

Boolit Buddy
    Feels good, don’t it!!

Yes it does!

By weight (no I didn't count them) I cast another 1141 today and 740 the other day. Now I need a rainy day so that I can coat and size them. I was going to load some Berrys for competition this year. But instead I'll put the Berrys on the shelf and work up a load for my bullets. I want to test them anyway... 2 birds, one stone.

Banned
    There's an unwritten rule here, "If there are no pictures -- it didn't happen"

Boolit Master
    Congrats. After my last reload session I realized I need to make some more bullets

Quote Originally Posted by Conditor22 View Post
    There's an unwritten rule here, "If there are no pictures -- it didn't happen"
    That's an unwritten rule everywhere it seems.

Here's the 6" frying pan full from the other day. I'm beat, that'll have to do.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Speed casting as you do, what is the weight variance for the bullets …
    Regards
    John

I don't know if it's speed casting. I'm just moving along normal like with an 8 cavity mould. The bullets add up pretty quick 8 at a pour. But that was why I bought it. I love shooting, casting was just a way to get doing what I love to do during the component shortage and it seemed to me that 8 at a pour would get me there sooner. And I like to learn new things. But I never thought I'd ever get to use all those COWW I bought years ago for just such an occurrence.

Today I moved slower and used the wet towel less than yesterday. Todays heat and humidity that moved in took a toll on me.

I'll have your answer soon though, I've been wondering the same thing. I suspect the biggest problem I have with that is my propane burner. It's awfully difficult to regulate it and have it keep a steady temp.

Whew! All 1800+ bullets have been coated and baked 2x. Now I'm sizing them. Maybe 1/4-1/3 sized. That's a lot of bullets!

It's a great feeling when ya beat the system.

I'd work on a more comfortable bench/set up pretty soon.
    Those extra aches and pains from being uncomfortable will not improve over time.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Yeah, I think I'm there. In a month I'm 69. My biggest problem is that my mind thinks I'm still 20. But I absolutely agree with you I need to work on my bench set up for ALL operations. Mostly I need to raise my propane burner one cinder block, that would help immensely. My in the shop operations are pretty good but can always be fine tuned.

I'd like to have an automated sizer something where I just put the bullets into a hopper. For that matter a Magma (I think it's Magma) casting machine would be good too. While I'm fantasizing might as well go all the way.

OK, back to reality, what I can do is make my working environment better. Point well taken. I think I'll take a day and see what I can do in that regard after I get these bullets sized.

Boolit Buddy
    A lot of people, myself included, have their sizing press mounted upside down. It’s a lot easier to drop the bullets in the hole than guide it up.