WidenersLee PrecisionRepackboxTitan Reloading
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 45-70 deer alloy - mixing 20/30:1 with Lyman #2?

Boolit Buddy
    Cape buffalo are shot with 458 solids. No explanation. Deer are lot smaller than Cape buffalo. For years I have been shooting deer with 400 fn cast bullets started ar 2000. Deer seem to go right down. All deer are different. Some a little tap and they go hooves up. The next one you can blow a soft ball hole in their chest and they run for a mile. Next batch I load will be closer to 1600fps. Recoil is getting a bit much.

Boolit Master
    I shot one broad side 50 - 55 yards. 12 Ga. watched as i rode upwards with recoil. left eye. SEEN it blow stuff and blood out the other side. H e ran about 20 steps and stands there looking for the disturbance. So i give him another runs about ten more steps and drops dead. I still amazed how tough he was...

Boolit Buddy
    I am very partial to 1 in 15 Pb/Sn - a 45 deep narrow hollow point will darn near double it's diameter with a double lung shot. May shed a quarter or more weight, but makes a huge wound channel and exit. Launch velocity 1850. I think adding antimony makes a boolit less ductile.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by curdog007 View Post
    I am very partial to 1 in 15 Pb/Sn - a 45 deep narrow hollow point will darn near double it's diameter with a double lung shot. May shed a quarter or more weight, but makes a huge wound channel and exit. Launch velocity 1850. I think adding antimony makes a boolit less ductile.
    That’s good info. You drilling them or casting them that way? How’d you settle on 1:15?

I have been shooting deer with .530 round balls the last couple of years. Expansion is nice, but with a big bore I think it is pretty much optional. With a cast bullet, I would opt for the biggest meplat you can find that cycles and is accurate. I would cast it out of really soft stuff with a percent or two of tin and powder coat. Let the gun tell you how fast you should be shooting the bullet by showing you the most accurate load. You are shooting a deer with a huge slug so it is very likely to go right through the animal regardless of how fast the bullet is going.
    When you care enough to send the very best, send an ounce of lead.

Boolit Master

I would go a little softer than wheelweights. I once shot a deer in the chest. She was facing me head on. The bullet (Lyman 405gr cast of WW) going 1200 fps entered the chest, penetrated the whole body & broke the femur on the way out. She still ran over 100 yds & was alive when I got to her requiring a finishing shot. From that I decided that a softer bullet was the way to go.

Bob
    Si hostes visibilis, etiam tu

Boolit Mold
    Thank you guys

Boolit Buddy
    M48sout Hollow noses are cast and only about .100 diameter, but quite deep - about 3/4 length of the boolit. I plug the hole with a kitchen matchstick. Weight 325 grains. I use that alloy because it's what's here.
    BTW The English made a lot of wood pegged boolits like this, and they work rather well when you push them hard.

Boolit Master
    I use my Trapdoor rifle loaded with 3031 loaded to government specs for black. Marlin I load 36 gr of IMR 3031, 405 GR RNFP hard cast bullet. Most deer shot with the Marlin don't move over 15-20 yards, a lot just dropped. 80 yards is a long shot around me. A good big flat point RN has dropped everything that I did my part on bullet placement.

Boolit Bub
    I use a 350 gr wfn cast from wheel weights and water quenched. I just can’t seem to get the accuracy I want from the softer bullets. So far I have taken 8 deer with with this bullet and half have fallen where shot, the other 4 haven’t made it farther than about 30 yards. I don’t have a chronograph but the load I use is not very fast, maybe 1300 fps.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by scattershot View Post
    I would think that with a 45/70, you don’t need to worry about the alloy.
    That is no lie. I used a hard cast store bought bullet in my Winchester 45-70, don't remember the load, but aimed for his shoulder and as the trigger broke the bear turned and I got him in the skull. The bullet did a complete pass through, and came out next to his tail. He was DRT. The guide and I tracked him about 2 feet. The bullet continued into the ground where it still is.
    SMOKELESS IS JUST A PASSING FAD!-STEVE GARBE

FORMER NJ HUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR
    GOA LIFE MEMBER
    SASS LIFE MEMBER

ADAPT, IMPROVISE, OVERCOME!
    "ANY MAN WHO THINKS HE CAN BE HAPPY AND PROSPEROUS BY LETTING THE GOVERNMENT TAKE CARE OF HIM, BETTER TAKE A CLOSER LOOK AT THE AMERICAN INDIAN!"-HENRY FORD

Boolit Buddy
    I use the Lee 340GR, .457 Boolit, PCd to .459, 30:1. This is over 43 gr of 3031 with .5 gr dacron. I find this easy on my shoulder and nothing has survived it yet.

Boolit Grand Master

Good morning
    I do hope your hunting range is not much past 100 yards with iron sights. 200 yards with a scope. The 45-70 does tend to be somewhat trajectory tough on the precision hunting out in the real world.

I have never had to pop a corn cruncher through the "grill door" but I think from most all other angles.
    A 400 grain FN striking a bean eater at any velocity over 900 fps cast of anything from range scrap (our favorite) through rock hard water dropped line type will go through your smaller table fare and probably whatever is in the way on the other side.
    Range scrap for us is free for the digging. Probably about as soft as 30-1 normally.
    We do not need more than 1100 fps at muzzle and 1000 fps expands realiably out at 100 yards. It will also go through ribs, shoulders, spine and whatever tissue it needs to.
    We have never recovered one fired on a corn cruncher but the exit holes always look like a .69 round ball (yep we shoot those also) was zipped through.
    Even round nose range scrap cast makes deer become tasty dinner fare.
    But we also started out pushing 400 grainers around 1500 (or more) thinking white tails wore kevlar or flack jackets. But having spent the last 30 years slicing and dicing with recurves and broad heads I have to write deer have been taken with everything man has ever had at hand. They are no harder to perferate today than they were when flint / obsidian was desired and used.
    Whatever load is accurate and you are happy with will get it done.
    Being over 70 now I do desire to drop them as close to me as possible. Crawling around on my knees looking at grass and under leaves was fun maybe 20 years ago. So we use soft cast heavy slugs moving about 1100 fps at the muzzle and bust all the shoulders, spines, ribs and heart / lung material that can get lined up.
    Have fun and think "Trapdoors" were used to shoot through smallish horses to badly hurt the rider on the other side at 100-500 yards. Surely a soft cast slug going no faster today will be lethal to some 150 pound acorn eater.
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Mold
    Thank you missionary. Sounds like I have quite a bit of leeway. LOL

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12