RotoMetals2RepackboxLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Titan Reloading Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 45-70 deer alloy - mixing 20/30:1 with Lyman #2?

Boolit Mold

45-70 deer alloy - mixing 20/30:1 with Lyman #2?

I’m slowly working toward accumulating supplies to cast 45-70 boolits for a deer and hog hunting application. The idea is a 405gr flat nose (Lyman 457193, 457463, RCBS 45-405 etc) up around 1500-1600fps or so.

I don’t care for the idea of completely non-expanding, but I’m sure not looking for giant mushrooming either. More like the bullet should “upset” upon impact and just continue driving after that.

My first thought is to blend maybe 3 parts 30:1 with 1 part Lyman #2. Should maintain a heavy weight bullet (avoiding excess tin) while getting a little hardness with the watered down antimony. Using online calculators perhaps 10.7 BHN or so.

Thoughts from you experienced hunter out there?

Boolit Buddy

Don't over think it. I use 10:1 with a 385 gr. Lyman at 1400-1450 that is more than adequate.

Boolit Buddy
    I use a 50/50 mix of ww& pure. A 255 gr lee in 45 colt and it has penetrated thru both shoulders of a 300 lb hog. Velocity was a little over 1300 fps

I would think that with a 45/70, you don’t need to worry about the alloy.
    "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...

Boolit Grand Master
    Agree with those above. Doesn't have to be too hard and it doesn't have to go too fast. The .45-70 is a marvelous design and works very well in the lower ranges. I generally load at the trap door levels and the performance is stunning. Accuracy is king and familiarity with ammo's trajectory is vital. Knowing where it hits at various distances will give you a full freezer.

Boolit Master
    What they said 100%/Ed

Boolit Mold
    Thank you men. Maybe I’ll just do a 20:1 haha

I'm using old scrap WW. BHN 10.5, @ 1500 fps with a 350gr FP bullet. Expansion not really necessary. A 405gr bullet at 1500 fps, I find overly punishing as to recoil. I have a heavy Marlin 45-70 LRX with 24" bbl.

Boolit Grand Master
    I tend to over think it as well
    I use 25-1 in my 45-70 when I use that particular rifle
    I do powder coat them though I don't know if you
    have gotten that far into this craziness yet or not
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Master

I saw a bumper sticker the other day which read "Hold still while I overthink this". I believe this may be the case here. I use a softer alloy, half wheel weights and half pure, plus a bit of tin. Shoots well out of 3 of my 45-70's. Not sure about the other as it's never been fired.
    Good Luck,
    Rick

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Dom View Post
    I'm using old scrap WW. BHN 10.5, @ 1500 fps with a 350gr FP bullet. Expansion not really necessary. A 405gr bullet at 1500 fps, I find overly punishing as to recoil. I have a heavy Marlin 45-70 LRX with 24" bbl.
    That’s a good data point, thank you

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by RickinTN View Post
    I saw a bumper sticker the other day which read "Hold still while I overthink this". I believe this may be the case here. I use a softer alloy, half wheel weights and half pure, plus a bit of tin. Shoots well out of 3 of my 45-70's. Not sure about the other as it's never been fired.
    Good Luck,
    Rick
    Y’all have me figured out for sure. LOL

Moderator Emeritus

Play with your allow for accuracy with a 45-70 not for expansion.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master
    M48scout, I, like you, want a bit of expansion with the Accurate 460-405 WFN out of my 45/70. Maybe due to all the years shooting pure lead out of muzzleloaders. When I hear folks say expansion doesn't matter with a boolit of this size I am not one to accept that as gospel. First deer I ever shot was 35 years ago with a T/C Hawken in 45 caliber using the T/C Maxi Ball conical. The shot was perfect at only 30 yards or so. Yet that little buck didn't read the memo and didn't fall over as if poleaxed. The next year I 'upgraded' to a T/C 50 caliber with Maxi Hunters that I molded out of pure lead. That rifle has accounted for numerous deer over the years, but even with a 1/2" hole they didn't just fall over. Unless spined they ran from 20 yards to a hundred. Once doe, in particular took that slug just behind the front legs, spilled a bucket of blood after jumping the fence next to her. Both round patches of hide were found on the off side, and yet she ran through the woods as if nothing was wrong and eventually the spoor dried up. After many hours searching she was never found. Makes no sense to me to this day, nearly 30 years later. I got to drilling a small hole about 3/16" deep in those soft conicals to assist in expansion. The few I found upon autopsy/butchering were pleasing.
    I know hard cast is the trend, but personally I like to see some expansion for additional damage along the way through. It hasn't hurt in the 45/70 either. To each his own.

Boolit Mold
    Thank you ChristopherO. That’s my line of thinking as well. I’ve either shot, or helped hunting club members track, dozens and dozens of deer over the years. With high powered rifles (30-06, etc) if shot behind the shoulder and not CNS hit, they may run 15 yards, might run 120 yards until their brain runs out of O2 and they figure out they are dead. So I just want take advantage of some of this round’s power and cause some reasonable tissue destruction while the bullet plows it’s way through.

I am very curious to see with my own eyes how “heavy big and slow” compares with “small light and fast”.

Boolit Master
    My 9+1 COWW/Lino alloy ( BHN 15) has worked Well on many deer I have
    shot with my '86 win 45-70 ( 385 gr RNFP at 1740fps)
    and my 358 Win Sav 110 (358318 bullet 250gr RN paper patched, clocking 2350fps)
    Always one shot one kill. And minimal bloodshot meat
    beltfed/arnie

Boolit Mold
    Thank you beltfed

Boolit Master
    I wonder if all the cave men sat around the fire discussing the relative hardness of their flint projectiles. Thugma use flint from the upper valley region where the softer color overtones and languid flow patterns assure deeper penetration. Ufgar use flint from mountain region where more brittle characteristics and delicate color transition from brown to blue assure a keener edge. Mrokba use flint from coastal region where the colder weather makes working the material easier and attaching it so much more eye appealing. All the old cave men were sitting back, stroking the hair of the young cave women and reflecting that they all just used sharp sticks to punch a hole in the heart of the tundra beasts. Getting stepped on was problematic but hey, the chicks all dug the show. No matter what you used, a hole in the heart was a hole in the heart.

Boolit Master
    If you need expansion from a .458" diameter boolit, switch to a 12 gauge (.730" diameter).
    28 ga =50cal; 20ga=63cal; 12ga=73cal.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Norske View Post
    If you need expansion from a .458" diameter boolit, switch to a 12 gauge (.730" diameter).
    28 ga =50cal; 20ga=63cal; 12ga=73cal.
    Having lived and hunted in a slug only state my whole life you would be amazed at the deer that run off with 12 gauge holes blown through them that are not found by the hunter. I've come across the very deer the hunter has searched for all morning but couldn't find, double lung shot, too. Big holes doesn't automatically mean DRT or a good blood trail to follow. I'll never sniff at good expansion no matter what caliber the boolit is.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast