MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLoad DataLee Precision
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyWidenersRepackbox
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2

View Poll Results: Which ball powder for .44 Cast Pb RNFP?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Ramshot True Blue

0 0%
  • Ramshot Zip

0 0%
  • Hodgdon Universal

3 14.29%
  • Something else - please suggest

18 85.71%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ball Powder for Cast Loads in .44 Special and .44 Rem Mag

Boolit Buddy

Question Ball Powder for Cast Loads in .44 Special and .44 Rem Mag

Hi folks,

I'm looking to develop a load for mainly shooting 240gr RNFP out of a 20" lever action (1892 clone).

I'd ideally like a ball powder that goes through a powder measure easily.

I can fairly easily get Ramshot Zip and Ramshot True Blue here. Has anyone loaded those combos before?

Best wishes,

Scrummy

I have used True Blue for medium power 44 magnum loads and normal power 9mm loads.

I think it is a GREAT powder. It meters very consistently and doesn’t hang up in your equipment like stick powders. It shoots clean also.

I have a can of Zip, but have not tried it yet.

Great powder, I highly recommend the brand.

BNE
    I'm a Happy Clinger.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks BNE, ideally looking for a plinking load which is sub sonic.

I have had good luck with Ramshot TAC and my limited runs of X-terminator in .223 Rem.

Also, Ramshot tends to be quite reasonably priced over here in the UK (For example, Hodgdon Universal is about 25% more than Zip and True Blue)

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    For medium velocity Cowboy load approximating .44-40 velocity 7 grains of TiteGroup, 231, HP38, WST or 452AA in .44 Mag with 230-250 grain bullet. Use same in .44-40, reduce 1 grain for .44 Special
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Accurate 2 or 5 meters like water or even old school hp 38/ww231

Boolit Grand Master
    HP 38 would be my choice
    Don Verna

Boolit Master

N.O.E. TL432-249-RF over 5.5grs TiteGroup in a .44Mag Case. I have a Friend that's been shooting it for 20+yrs.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Grand Master
    As others have said, HP38/W-231 meters well... I would probably use it for moderate loads. When I was loading “full power” rounds for Handgun Silhouette, I used 2400, but if wanted a ball type powder for full house loads, I’d probably look at Accurate #9 because I’ve got a bunch of it in a non-canister batch I picked up for rifle use many years ago. I haven’t looked at the Accurate data sheets for 44s lately, but I’m pretty sure they’ll have something there for you. I used that powder in my bench gun because it metered like water and I could get super precise charges.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

AA9 is my choice.

Moderator Emeritus

AA 5 for light loads. AA 9 for heavies.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

HS-6. Jedman

Boolit Master
    WC 820 If you can find it! I'm glad to still have an 8 pounder.
    It's all chicken, even the beak!

Boolit Master

I have shot a lot of 240gr Keith SWC powered by light charges of 231 in 6.5 inch barreled revolvers, with excellent accuracy. I have tried to use 240gr Keith SWC bullets in a Winchester 94 rifle, and there is a problem getting them to feed out of the magazine and into the barrel. The portion of the bullet sticking out of the case is too long. I do not have a 92 rifle, so I cannot say whether they have the same problem.

Here is a burn rate chart, where you can 'figure out what is close: https://www.ramshot.com/wp-content/u...burn_rates.pdf
    My reading of the above is that Zip is the closest to the 231 that I like. I have a pound of Zip that I won at a pistol match years ago, and have never done anything with.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks folks, keep the suggestions coming!

Boolit Grand Master

You mention being able to get Western Powders - Ramshot Zip and Ramshot True Blue .
    Western also makes Accurate ( Accurate Arms) powders and if these are available , they may not be 100% true "Ball" powders ...but they are fine grained and flow very easily , you won't find a powder that flows any better .
    I cast and reload 41 Special and 41 Magnum and realy like AA #2 , AA #5 , AA#7 & AA#9 in cast boolit applications . I have not tried slower AA #11FS ...
    The Accurate powders work great in the 41 Spcl/Mag and should do just as well in 44 Spcl/Mag and if free flowing and easy metering is wanted ...you need to give them a try .
    I shoot a lot of AA# 5 , it's similar to Unique in burn. AA #2 is similar to Red Dot .
    They all measure easily .
    Gary

P.S. I just have to ask ... in the UK ...what is a scrumbag ?
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    You mention being able to get Western Powders - Ramshot Zip and Ramshot True Blue .
    Western also makes Accurate ( Accurate Arms) powders and if these are available , they may not be 100% true "Ball" powders ...but they are fine grained and flow very easily , you won't find a powder that flows any better .
    I cast and reload 41 Special and 41 Magnum and realy like AA #2 , AA #5 , AA#7 & AA#9 in cast boolit applications . I have not tried slower AA #11FS ...
    The Accurate powders work great in the 41 Spcl/Mag and should do just as well in 44 Spcl/Mag and if free flowing and easy metering is wanted ...you need to give them a try .
    I shoot a lot of AA# 5 , it's similar to Unique in burn. AA #2 is similar to Red Dot .
    They all measure easily .
    Gary

P.S. I just have to ask ... in the UK ...what is a scrumbag ?
    Thanks Gary, think they might be branded Lovex over here but I shall look into it

Boolit Master
    true blue ive never used but western has good data for it for 240 grain 44 mag. I use no 9, works great for pistol loads in rifle, I get good accuracy in 44 mag and 45 colt both in rifles with no9 and 4227, lately ive been using a lot of 300mp for full powder loads and be86 for milder loadings. have had no problem with any of these powders running through powder measure on progressive press. its been years since ive used universal in 44 spl or mag, but it works as a less than max possible velocity load.
    there is something about slower powders in pistol caliber rifles that just seems to work well. for 44 cal I lube size at .431 with carnauba red with clww plus a bit of tin and so far so good no leading in regular Ballard rifling or marlin microgroove

Boolit Master
    For 44 Magnum, 2400 gets my vote. Meters just as well as the others and isn't fussy about downloading.

My CA 44 Special Bulldog gets whatever powder I happen to want to use up. Right now it's being fed W231 and 240 grain cast. I have used loads with Bullseye, Unique, 2400 & AA#7, in the past. I have a pound of True Blue, that I purchased to try with cast in a 9mm carbine. Wasn't a standout, so eventually it will get used up in the short barreled Bulldog.

Winelover

Boolit Master

For .44 Mag I use 2400; for .44 Special I like Winchester 231.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Master
    Alliant BE-86 flows well in my measures , it produces similar power to Unique .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast