Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingLoad DataReloading Everything
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Repackbox Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Optimal Loading/Pressures for Ubertis in .45 Colt?

Optimal Loading/Pressures for Ubertis in .45 Colt?

My brother and I are somewhat torn in the realms of a 5.5 inch, 45 Colt WheelyGat. We know that a Ruger Blackhawk, with a much more reinforced top strap, will allow us to load in a much more comfortable range of pressures. However, as far as I'm aware, there's going to be a fine line between working just fine and disaster with an Uberti Replica.
    Then again, Ubertis offer a more authentic cowboy experience, and are more historically accurate in comparison to the more spiritually descended Ruger Blackhawk.

If any of you fine people happen to have Uberti Replicas, such as the Cattleman II's or other SAA-alikes, what do you load them at?

Our loading resources are 200gn SWC's and Win231. According to the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook, this calls for 7.4gn at a minimum of Win 231. Is that going to be safe?

Boolit Grand Master
    I would load them to standard Colt SAA levels, and try to get an accurate load for my gun.

Even though they are made from modern steel, they are still the same size as a Colt Single Action Army.

In other words, if you want to hotrod the .45 Colt; get a Ruger Blackhawk or large frame Vaquero.

Robert

Quote Originally Posted by Mk42gunner View Post
    I would load them to standard Colt SAA levels, and try to get an accurate load for my gun.

Even though they are made from modern steel, they are still the same size as a Colt Single Action Army.

In other words, if you want to hotrod the .45 Colt; get a Ruger Blackhawk or large frame Vaquero.

Robert
    I wouldn't want to hotrod it, I just want to know that what's in my loading manuals is going to be safe for a potential Uberti replica, so I can have single action fun with confidence in its strength for normal rounds.

Boolit Master

I have both an Uberti clone and a Ruger Super Blackhawk in .45 Colt. I am very careful to not mix up the ammo since the Ruger is my bear medicine and it's loads are hot.

My absolute favorite load for both the Ruger and Uberti for target practice is a 250 grain boolit and 6.0 grains of Trail Boss.

When you go to the Hogdon load data site, they have a drop down menu for the various calibers. .45 Colt has two options; Ruger/Freedom Arms/TC only and then regular .45 Colt loads intended for the originals and clones.

https://shop.hodgdon.com/reloading-data-center

They list the max load of 231 at 7.1 grains for the Uberti clones, and no loads listed at all using 231 for the Ruger-only recipes.

I haven't done a ton of load development for the .45 Colt in plinking loads. It's all been focusing on hard-hitting woods loads, but I do know that my Trail Boss load is the softest shooting and most accurate load I have.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Master
    The powder manufacturers published loads for the 45 Colt are all safe to shoot in your Uberti replica UNLESS the load manual specifies the loads are for a Ruger or a T/C. Mine loves 6.0gr of Tite Group with the 255gr bullet. Have fun.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    I have .45 ACP cylinders for my Uberti and Pietta clones. You are OK with .45 Colt loads which do not exceed 18-20,000 psi.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master

This is why I have a .44Mag SBH.
    My Ruger .45 Blackhawk gets loaded with the same loads as Colt SAA & Clones. Or STD 45ACP loads when fitted with that cylinder.

Hot Loads = .44Mag
    Std Loads = .45Colt/ACP
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Master
    I have had great success with any 250 grain RNFP or SWC and 6.5 grains of Win 231 as safe cowboy/SASS loads. They do well in carbines, too. GF

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Fox View Post
    I have had great success with any 250 grain RNFP or SWC and 6.5 grains of Win 231 as safe cowboy/SASS loads. They do well in carbines, too. GF
    Thanks! It's a great relief to know that the Uberti's will hold up to standard pressure .45 Colt loads.

Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    I have .45 ACP cylinders for my Uberti and Pietta clones. You are OK with .45 Colt loads which do not exceed 18-20,000 psi.
    May I ask where you found some Uberti .45 ACP Cylinders? I didn't find any conversion cylinders on their website.

Would it have to be a custom gunsmith job? Or, would .45 Cowboy Special be more fitting in this sort of situation?

Boolit Grand Master

In case you were not aware, 45 colt SAMMI pressure is only 14,000 psi. All 45 colt guns can handle that. As was said, there is only one level of 45 colt data, unless you find a TC/Ruger only section. You will know the TC/Ruger section when you see it.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Quote Originally Posted by VariableRecall View Post
    May I ask where you found some Uberti .45 ACP Cylinders? I didn't find any conversion cylinders on their website.

Would it have to be a custom gunsmith job? Or, would .45 Cowboy Special be more fitting in this sort of situation?
    Easy to line-bore and rechamber a .44 Special or .38 Special cylinder to .45 ACP, but I got mine from Cimmarron.
    Either .455 Eley or .45 Cowboy also work. DOES require gunsmith fitting.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    You can also check VTI Gun Parts. They have most parts for the current Italian replicas, and good advice for adapting currently available parts to obsolete brands like ASM.

Boolit Buddy
    Try VTI gunparts, they list a 45ACP cylinder on the parts page. You have to check stock.
    The price is $120.0, it will have to be fitted to your gun.

Boolit Grand Master

My brother and I are somewhat torn in the realms of a 5.5 inch, 45 Colt WheelyGat. We know that a Ruger Blackhawk, with a much more reinforced top strap, will allow us to load in a much more comfortable range of pressures. However, as far as I'm aware, there's going to be a fine line between working just fine and disaster with an Uberti Replica.
    Then again, Ubertis offer a more authentic cowboy experience, and are more historically accurate in comparison to the more spiritually descended Ruger Blackhawk.

If any of you fine people happen to have Uberti Replicas, such as the Cattleman II's or other SAA-alikes, what do you load them at?

Our loading resources are 200gn SWC's and Win231. According to the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook, this calls for 7.4gn at a minimum of Win 231. Is that going to be safe?
    Yes, that is going to be quite safe in any Uberti SAA chambered for 45 Colt.

While I have not pressure tested 231 in the 45 Colt my standard load for 195 - 205 gr cast bullets is 7.3 gr of Bullseye. It pressure tests at 14,000 psi +/-. The same bullets with 7 gr of 700X pressure tests at 14,000 psi also. Velocity for both out of my 4 3/4 and 5 1/2" Uberti SAAs run 950 fps +/-. They run 1150 - 1200 fps out of my Uberti M73 lever action.

I've a 45 ACP for the Uberti "Evil Roy" SA. I shoot my standard 45 ACP load with 195 - 205 gr cast bullets over 5 gr Bullseye. That load pressure test at 14,000 to 17,000 psi depending on bullet. With Lee 452-230-TC (234 gr fully dressed) over 5 gr Bullseye the psi runs 17,500 - 18,000 psi. It has proven to be a superb load in the Uberti SA.

For the last couple years I've been shooting the Lee 230 TC bullet in the 45 Colt also. The original load for the 45 Government cartridge for use in the SAA used a 230 gr bullet. I load the Lee TC bullet over 7 gr Bullseye for a pressure of 16,700 psi. It runs 902 fps out of the Uberti SA and 1135 fps out of the Uberti M73 carbine.

The oft recommended "standard" load (also listed in the Lyman manuals) under a 255 gr SWC or the 255 gr RNFP cast bullet runs 18,000 psi +/-. Many a Uberti are fired with that load w/o any problems encountered.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master
    You might check out some loads using HP-38. It works well for reasonable loads in .44 special.
    "If everyone is thinking the same thing it means someone is not thinking"

"A rat became the unit of currency"

Boolit Buddy
    You might want to get John Taffin's book of the 45. He list's working load data for just about every
    45 caliber handgun made.

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic_Charlie View Post
    You might check out some loads using HP-38. It works well for reasonable loads in .44 special.
    I've decided to stick with 7gn of Win231 for my first loading. I'll check for pressure signs, how well the brass seals in the cylinder, and others when the time comes.

Boolit Grand Master

I've decided to stick with 7gn of Win231 for my first loading. I'll check for pressure signs, how well the brass seals in the cylinder, and others when the time comes.
    You won't see pressure signs. With 45 colt, max load is 14,000 PSI. I wouldn't even expect to see a pressure sign until about 40,000 psi.

Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    You won't see pressure signs. With 45 colt, max load is 14,000 PSI. I wouldn't even expect to see a pressure sign until about 40,000 psi.
    Thank you for letting me know. What are some better signs that I'm not under or overpressuring before catastrophic things happen?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast