Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersSnyders Jerky
Load DataRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingRepackbox
Inline Fabrication Reloading Everything
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Ok so I'm going to go look for lead for the first time...Advice?

The fact that you can take a wheel weight found on the side of the road and turn that into a boolit which puts food on the table is very satisfying. The smile from hitting a bullseye grouping is equally rewarding. This knowledge doesn't happen overnight.

Slim
    JUST GOTTA LOVE THIS JOINT.

Boolit Master
    like slim ive picked up 100's of pounds of wheel weights along the side of highways. when I traveled long distances on highways years ago instead of taking break at rest area, truck stop diner, ect. I would roam the edge of roadway at heavily traveled exits and exits with big truck stops. put on my green glow vest and go at it. you would be surprised how many there are just along the road ways. when brakes are jammed on at high speed--wheel weights fly off--ripe for the pickin

oh--also--when the cops/highway patrol stops to ask what your doing. it goes much better if you just tell them your collecting lead to make fishing weights and show them a handful.
    it doesn't go well in some places if you tell them your making bullets

Boolit Bub
    carelesslove, here !

Grayone - and others above - are speaking from valuable experience. To get started, it may be wise to buy essentially perfect bullet metal from ROTOMETALS and begin your casting "career".

Metal composition and cleanliness can dominate your initial success. To start the casting process with the biggest variable potentially out of control, can make casting miserable.

All you need is a little bit of copper, or zinc in your first pot and you will swear off casting forever. That is actually how I got a lot of good, lightly used casting equipment - very cheap.

Good luck and stick with it.

Thanks, carelesslove

Boolit Mold
    Check at your old time radiator repair shop. Their dip tank lead has tin in it so may need to be blended

Boolit Master
    In farm country like the Arkansas Delta look for farmer's tire shops that are out of town and down dirt roads. Avoid the shops in town that cater to fancy late model sedans with enviro friendly wheel weights made of plastic and steel.
    Britons shall never be slaves.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by JoeJames View Post
    In farm country like the Arkansas Delta look for farmer's tire shops that are out of town and down dirt roads. Avoid the shops in town that cater to fancy late model sedans with enviro friendly wheel weights made of plastic and steel.
    I was at a place earlier in the Summer that sells used truck and tractor tires and wheels. You probably know the one! I ask about weights and was offered a bucket for $50. I passed as I'm not hurting but a quick look showed lots of truck weights and mostly lead.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234