Inline FabricationReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyRepackbox
Load Data Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mossberg ATR any good?

Banned

Mossberg ATR any good?

Opinions? There is a very basic one in good shape used near me that is priced so cheap I almost can't see how I can afford not to pick it up.

Boolit Master
    Theres one at the range I go to for sale. New in 243 for $300. I don't think you could really go wrong with that. I just don't know if I want a 243. Ive got a 223 bolt, a 270 bolt, and a 30-30 lever. What say everyone? Should we dive?

nobody here is going to talk anybody OUT of a gun. you guys let us know how they shoot lead please eh

Boolit Buddy
    I like the ATR. My wife presented me one in .30-06 as a gift just after they came out. It has downed several deer and a couple ground hogs. I've only shot factory ammo through it. No problems with 150's or 180's. I've since added a couple more ATR's, a couple of the Maverick versions and a couple Patriots. Calibers in .243 and .270 along with the .30-06. Never had one fail in any way and they all shoot excellent. 1 1/2 3-shot groups are pretty much the norm with an occasional 1- 1/14 group. I do change out the factory scope bases and replace with Weavers. The factory bases just don't look beefy enough to me.

Isaac

Boolit Buddy
    Don't have an ATR but a MVP 223. It is bottle cap capable with 3x9 glass. Not as slick as other bolt guns but still a good shooter. I've head shot a squirrel or two at 50-60 yards. I'm guessing the two models could be similar in quality and ability. I say buy it.

What cartridge is it chambered for? I've never been a .270 fan, but if it's a bargain......I'd ease up on that outlook.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Banned

I have an MVP Predator in .223. At the time, I wanted the variant they called The Patrol Rifle but none to be had anywhere. BAsically the same rifle minus the flash supressor and with a laminate stock. Good rifle but so far hasn't shot as well as my 1980s vintage plain jane Savage 110 in .223 does routinely.

So, are the ATVs the same basic action as the Patriots? The Patriots I have handled seem good.

Moderator Emeritus

I bought one new for $199. That's the market they were designed for.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Good gun, buy it.
    Endeavor to persevere

Boolit Master
    My wife has one in 243 and it is an excellent shooter producing sub-MOA groups easily for her with my CB's.

Quote Originally Posted by sigep1764 View Post
    Theres one at the range I go to for sale. New in 243 for $300. I don't think you could really go wrong with that. I just don't know if I want a 243. Ive got a 223 bolt, a 270 bolt, and a 30-30 lever. What say everyone? Should we dive?
    Let it pass. You have varmint covered and heavy game covered with the .270. The .243 is an expensive varmint caliber and not totally reliable on larger game.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Banned

Looking at Mossberg's web site, it doesn't look like they are still in production?

This one was in Scheel's in Des Moines while I was there, priced at $169, probably a customer return, didn't ask. I'm sure buying from a place like Shceel's is like buying from Wal Mart, a lot of trouble. Didn't really need another .270, only ever owned one, it's a weird caliber and the only reason I have one is because it came as part of a bundle with something I wanted and the only kind of ammo that never sold out at our local Wal Mart was .270. It did sell out this time so maybe that rifle wasn't such a smart buy after all. Just never understood the weirdo bore size and the fact that anything it does, the .30-06 did better.

Good to know about the ATRs, if another presents itself cheap, hopefully in a batter chambering, might have to give it some consideration.

Boolit Master
    Bullet drop.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by jim147 View Post
    Bullet drop.
    Not enough to be significant, read some ballistics tables, and the '06 will hit a lot harder when it gets there.

Besides all that, the '06 works great with cast. Oddball things like .270, not so much.

Boolit Master
    I don't mean to be contrary, but ive shot a few thousand cast through my 270 and love it! Its a fun caliber that can go 1000fps to 2000fps with lead, and 3000fps with jacketed. And its a laser at full gallop.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    Not enough to be significant, read some ballistics tables, and the '06 will hit a lot harder when it gets there.

Besides all that, the '06 works great with cast. Oddball things like .270, not so much.
    Maybe with current loadings but go back to when the .270 came out and the 130 grain was much flatter than the heavy 30-06 loading of the time.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by jim147 View Post
    Maybe with current loadings but go back to when the .270 came out and the 130 grain was much flatter than the heavy 30-06 loading of the time.
    Irrelevant.

Banned

bought two of them. A 20 inch 243 for one of the grandkids and an O6 used that was to cheap to pass. Both were darned good shooting guns. With loads they liked moa. I dont know about there finishes or maybe what quality steel they use but the o6 got duracoated and about 6 months later rust was bleeding through the duracoat everywhere. I cleaned the steel real well and degreased it before painting. All i can think is there was alot of impurities in the steel.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    bought two of them. A 20 inch 243 for one of the grandkids and an O6 used that was to cheap to pass. Both were darned good shooting guns. With loads they liked moa. I dont know about there finishes or maybe what quality steel they use but the o6 got duracoated and about 6 months later rust was bleeding through the duracoat everywhere. I cleaned the steel real well and degreased it before painting. All i can think is there was alot of impurities in the steel.
    Seems most of the entry level cheap rifles shoot very well, I sure know this Ruger American I have does, and I hear similar about the Savage Axis, etc.

I probably should have bought it if for no other reason than I've been meaning to have JES rebore a rifle to have a .35 Whelen for a while and can't seem to bring myself to do it to the Mauser sporter I intended to.

Interesting about the Duracoat. Have you ever seen that happen to anything else? I have no experience with it, but have a couple of work horse guns I've been considering doing it to.

Boolit Master

Bought a .308 at a local academy for like $300 with a generic scope about 5 years ago.
    Shoots fine with reloads but a bit tight on the chamber so I ended up resizing with a redding body die. No issues ever since.
    Broke the extractor (probably due to previous hard extraction tight fitting reloads) & sent a customer service request.
    They mailed me an extractor, couple of springs & detent balls in no time. I don't exactly remember but I think Remington did the fulfillment of the warranty service.
    Still in my safe.
    ...Speak softly & carry a big stick...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast