Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingWideners
Reloading EverythingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Snyders Jerky Load Data

Thread: ?? about hunterbolt magnum

Boolit Bub

?? about hunterbolt magnum

Guys I came across a CVA Hunterbolt Magnum... I understand I can shoot up to 3 pellets of pyrodex( note to self: DONT DO IT ,AGAIN) . I have a limited number of saboted bullets , but can I shoot conical bullets? Looking to buy a Lee boolit mold for conical if I can find a suitable one. I know that roundball is a referred projectile, Im looking for economical hunting/plinking rounds..
    Please give me your opinions. Su Amigo, mexicanjoe

Boolit Grand Master

Yes you can shoot conical. Roundballs(RBs) may not shoot well except with light loads in a fast twist gun. I assume yours has a fast twist, usually 1-28 for in line guns. Your conical may shoot best with an over powder wad. I know yours is a mag, but don't try to push the conicals too hard or accuracy will diminish.
    Aim small, miss small!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mexicanjoe View Post
    Guys I came across a CVA Hunterbolt Magnum... I understand I can shoot up to 3 pellets of pyrodex( note to self: DONT DO IT ,AGAIN) . I have a limited number of saboted bullets , but can I shoot conical bullets? Looking to buy a Lee boolit mold for conical if I can find a suitable one. I know that roundball is a referred projectile, Im looking for economical hunting/plinking rounds..
    Please give me your opinions. Su Amigo, mexicanjoe
    Only thing I know is the Lee REAL, know nothing about your gun/Ed

Boolit Bub
    mooman76 my rifle does have a 1/28 twist and it shoots sabots like you would believe. But having access to a roofing companys scrap heap, Id like to try conical. Cant wait to purchase my first BP mold....it will go well with my 1858 Navy model. Just got back into BP shooting again and I can say is : inline rifles are the cats meow!.. The removable breech plug makes cleaning the barrel so easy!! A .20 gauge bore snake is perfect for clean rifling and I find Hoppes #9 to rule the roost on the cleaning bench..... I hope to learn more as time goes on.... Thanks guys!!!

Boolit Grand Master
    mexicanjoe. Just a bit of unsolicited advice in the matter of cleaning. It is best to start the cleaning of a ML with a water based fluid. Most any will do. Windex, Simple Green, car windshield washer fluid, dish soap water, or any of a host of other water based cleaners. Give it a good quick cleaning, dry it and finish up with your favorite regular cleaning protocol. The water breaks down the residue left from shooting and bares the metal for your cleaning / preserving efforts. Others don't like my way so much, but I do. For 20 years now I've been teaching ML'ing at a boy's / girl's summer camp and I clean the inventory as described. Some of the guns have well in excess of 5,000 rounds through them and other than having the blueing rubbed off, they look & function as brand new. Some like moose milk ~ some like bore butter. I've tried 'em all and have settled on the process described. Good luck and have fun with the ML's.