WidenersRepackboxLoad DataLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who shoots a 215gr 44 bullet?

Who shoots a 215gr 44 bullet?

Many , many years ago I bought this Lyman 429215 ( 215 gr ) GC style bullet mold. Some where in the mid 1960's. Yes the $7.50 price marked on the box is correct. That's what I paid for it back then. I was maybe 21 or so. Wanted speed. So I bough this mold. Since then I prefer a heavier bullet for my 44mags. I know I haven't used this mold for well over 30yrs now. Still in perfect condition. not a speck of rust. Was just wondering if there are casters,Attachment 286783 casting bullets in this weight for the 44 ? If so what are they used for ? Perhaps personal defense ?

I like them in short-barrelled 44 specials. Both the swc and full wadcutters. In a revolver like a Bulldog I can get some respectable velocity while still being able to control the piece.
    Chance favors the prepared mind.

Boolit Master
    I shoot quite a few 429215's...very accurate in all my .44 caliber pistols. I use homemade aluminum GCs and have found them to be as good as any of the heaver cast bullets in the .44 caliber.

Boolit Master
    I have found this to be a very accurate boolit in all of my .44 mags.
    I use 19.7g of WC820 in my guns with the boolit wearing a gas check. This is my bbl cleaning load if I detect any leading due to alloy hardness or wrong size for a particular gun. 5 shot outta any of my revolvers with this load takes any leading out. I'm a firm believer that gas checks are not necessary in the .44 mag as long as the boolit is sized properly and of the correct hardness for the velocity. However, every once in a while I find some slight leading due to phases of the moon or not holding my mouth right; it's then I shoot the 429215 mit the gas checks and life is grand once again!
    It's all chicken, even the beak!

Boolit Grand Master

I also shoot that bullet in my 44 Magnums and 44-40s. I use it for hunting loads in light game. Usually cast of 16-1 and bushed at 1400 - 1600 fps out of the 44 magnums. Also cast of 16-1 and pushed at 1800 fps out of the M92 carbine 44-40 it makes for a deadly dear/antelope/coyote bullet.

I've also cast them out of 30-1 or 20-1 alloy for 44 SPL HP'd loads at 1000 fps for the smaller framed 44 SPL revolvers.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master
    I like that boolit in my Smith pre 29 44 mag. My mold is a double cavity Lyman but it is a more recently made mold, I bought it new about 5 years ago. I load it to 44 Special specks in 44 mag cases, great plinking loads. With or without the gas check.

Boolit Master
    My favorite in 44 Spl. I’ve taken many jackrabbits in my Ruger SA revolver.

I'm amazed to see how many shoot this 215gr bullet.

Moderator Emeritus

Well if your interested I'll double your money.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Thanks for the offer. After all these years I think I will keep it. Just to show you the how I think as to bullet weight in the 44, today I did some testing with a NOE Keith style 280gr SWC. Shoots great. But those shooting the 215gr seem happy. Good to have a weight selection. Sure would be boring if we all had to shoot only one weight.

Boolit Master
    Now if you want some real variety try an MP-432-423HP at about 190g with 10g of Unique. 1136fps outta my 4-1/4" Mdl 69 Smith.Real pleasant to shoot even in a 329PD!
    It's all chicken, even the beak!

I have been using a 214 Grain SWC from a Lee mold. Works well in 44 Russian, Special and Magnum.

Boolit Buddy
    The most accurate 44 bullet I have shot. Have taken many deer with it in 44spl and 44mag.

BigBoreShooter

Hey Dom
    It is the preferred slug employed by Lawnsteel players in 44. Velocity at 811fps yields pinpoint accuracy at 65+ yds. Several different handguns used with this particular projectile. Some use a gas check but it is not needed. A few have 44 special brass, most use 44 mag brass. See the Lawnsteel thread for the different propellants and charges. For Lawnsteel, velocity is critical to accuracy.
    Last edited by gunarea; 07-29-2021 at 07:04 AM. Reason: additional information
    Shoot often, Shoot well.

Don't have the lyman mold but I've owned/used the h&g version of that bullet for decades.
    [IMG][/IMG]

That H&G #142 mold drops a 220gr gc swc or a 200gr gc swc hp
    [IMG][/IMG]

Been 1 of my favorite bullets for the ca bulldogs (bottom right)
    [IMG][/IMG]

I also burn a lot of those bullets up in a S&W 629 with a plinking load of 6.5gr of clays. Doesn't matter I mix and match the solid points with the hollow points. They're accurate enough for my needs.
    [IMG][/IMG]

Just a great all around bullet.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom View Post
    Thanks for the offer. After all these years I think I will keep it. Just to show you the how I think as to bullet weight in the 44, today I did some testing with a NOE Keith style 280gr SWC. Shoots great. But those shooting the 215gr seem happy. Good to have a weight selection. Sure would be boring if we all had to shoot only one weight.
    I haven't cast or shot any yet, but I not long ago picked up a 180gr full wadcutter in 44. Ought to be a fun plinking bullet.
    Chance favors the prepared mind.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Dom View Post
    Many , many years ago I bought this Lyman 429215 ( 215 gr ) GC style bullet mold. Some where in the mid 1960's. Yes the $7.50 price marked on the box is correct. That's what I paid for it back then. I was maybe 21 or so. Wanted speed. So I bough this mold. Since then I prefer a heavier bullet for my 44mags. I know I haven't used this mold for well over 30yrs now. Still in perfect condition. not a speck of rust. Was just wondering if there are casters,Attachment 286783 casting bullets in this weight for the 44 ? If so what are they used for ? Perhaps personal defense ?
    Isn't the non-HP version of the 429215 typically weight 225gr?
    I know the mold I had dropped 225gr boolits.
    ...did Lyman have some variance in this design over the years, like they did with the 358429 ?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

I do not have any experience with the Lyman 429215, but the Accurate 43-210A drops very near 215gr. with my 50/50+2 alloy. It is my favorite boolit for .44 spec. in my GP-100 3" & my GP-100 5" for 25 yd. fun with the IHMSA chickens (we call the game "Combat Chickens" DA only). We load with HP-38 & WST.

Boolit Master
    I've used the 429-214-SWC quite a bit in a couple Charter Bulldogs, Interarms Dragoon 44 Mag and Marlin 444. Used for mild loads. Accurate with low recoil.

Moderator Emeritus

You might consider having the check removed. I think that would be a much more effective mold. I have sold a few of Ray Thompsons designs because of that reason.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast