Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Repackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Wideners

Thread: brownells screwdriver handles

brownells screwdriver handles

clip tip , law enforcement , hollow ? sounds like they are all magnetic and the hollow handle is just storage (that i dont care about ) law enforcement is smaller . Do you like the clip tip? have i got any of this wrong?

Boolit Master

I know I’m slow, but I don’t understand what this is all about.
    Shoot Safe,
    Mike

Retired Telephone Man
    NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club
    ( www.marionroad.com )

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2021-07-28.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	50.7 KB 
ID:	286779

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Grinch View Post
    I know I’m slow, but I don’t understand what this is all about.
    mostly im asking clip or no clip

Boolit Grand Master
    I don't think the clip tip is magnetic. I never had a Brownell's clip tip, but every other clip tip handle I ever used very much eventually broke one of the clip fingers off.

I like the law enforcement handle for most small arms use, although sometimes you do need the bigger handle. Not really a fan of the hollow handle type, I do have an old S-K that I use fairly often.

If there was one halfway between the large size nd the aw enforcement size, I would like to have one.

Robert

Banned
    The Clip Tip is non magnetic. It's nice when a mag tip causes issues with tip jump and picking up odd stuff. It also holds the bit from pulling out of the handle, nice to have with Allen bits.
    The Law Enforcement handle is mid size and real handy. The Stubby handle is just that, sometime a bit too stubby to be really useful. A slightly shorter LE handle would be nice.

Boolit Master
    Following comments only about Brownell's screwdrivers. Mostly I use the 'law enforcement' magnetic tips, I have a couple clip-tip handles for the occasional instance where the magnetic tip is moving small parts or springs during assembly, have not had any problems with clip-tip breakage. The clip tips are not magnetic. I prefer the solid handles, the caps on the hollow handles get lost or sometimes broken, sometimes a tap on the screwdriver handle will help seat the driving bit and/or loosen a too tight or corroded screw. I haven't used the hollow handle for 'storage' of bits or anything else. Commonly used bits can become magnetic but seldom create problems. The magnetic drivers will occasionally pick up very small springs, pins, and screws causing a frantic search when part is hiding on driver shaft, don't ask how I know this.

Products seem to change with time. I've had a Brownell's screwdriver set (handle with removable bits) for many years, and the bits are not magnetic. I wish they were, as I have a couple of other screwdrivers that are, but they don't fit everything. When dealing with tiny screws a little extra retention by the magnetism and being able to retrieve them from awkward places (like down inside the action) can come in very handy. I'm not familiar with the clip tips. Years ago, when they first appeared on the market, the screwdriver handles with multiple bits were innovative. Brownell's was the one most in the eye of the gunsmithing circles, but I doubt if they originated the idea. Today there are many good sets available from several different companies that feature the hollow ground bits preferred in the trade. As the years have passed I have acquired several different sets, most recently one from CDNN that runs around $29 and comes in a nice wooden chest. They are probably made in China, but they work well and there's a good assortment of bits. They're a little shorter than Brownell's bits. Another thing to look for, and you may not find these in all sets, are bits for the Allen-type screws, square drive, six and eight pointed "stars" some of which use specially made little hex wrenches, but for which screwdriver bits are also available.

Name:	IM006875.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	47.9 KB 
ID:	286812

DG

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Der Gebirgsjager View Post
    Products seem to change with time. I've had a Brownell's screwdriver set (handle with removable bits) for many years, and the bits are not magnetic. I wish they were, as I have a couple of other screwdrivers that are, but they don't fit everything. When dealing with tiny screws a little extra retention by the magnetism and being able to retrieve them from awkward places (like down inside the action) can come in very handy. I'm not familiar with the clip tips. Years ago, when they first appeared on the market, the screwdriver handles with multiple bits were innovative. Brownell's was the one most in the eye of the gunsmithing circles, but I doubt if they originated the idea. Today there are many good sets available from several different companies that feature the hollow ground bits preferred in the trade. As the years have passed I have acquired several different sets, most recently one from CDNN that runs around $29 and comes in a nice wooden chest. They are probably made in China, but they work well and there's a good assortment of bits. They're a little shorter than Brownell's bits. Another thing to look for, and you may not find these in all sets, are bits for the Allen-type screws, square drive, six and eight pointed "stars" some of which use specially made little hex wrenches, but for which screwdriver bits are also available.

Name:	IM006875.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	47.9 KB 
ID:	286812

DG
    Hot glue a magnet to the bottom of the socket, most are about 1/4" so a 6mm magnet should work. This should be able to magnetize the tips well, if not run them through a magnetizer too (or first).
    https://www.amazon.com/Neodymium-Mag.../dp/B096FF7142

https://www.amazon.com/Delcast-Magne.../dp/B00PBCDRN4
    Last edited by Omega; 07-29-2021 at 01:01 PM. Reason: Add pic
    "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    ~Pericles~

I like the law enforcement handle for most gun work but keep a full size handy just in case.

Boolit Master

I dislike clip tips immensely. They are too hard to remove except with pliers. I'm referring to the Brownell's drivers. I've got two magnetic handles and one clip tip handle that came with the set. It stays in the bench tool box. The other two are always out on the bench at hand.
    John
    W.TN

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Any handle will work fine. What we need is, a selection of wide bit blanks. I've ground every one of my Brownell bits over the years to fit various firearms. There is a sad lacking of wider bits, though. I've ended up with making a lot of my turn screws to fit specific firearms.

You can probably go to Harbor Freight and find a set that will do everything a higher priced set will do.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    Any handle will work fine. What we need is, a selection of wide bit blanks. I've ground every one of my Brownell bits over the years to fit various firearms. There is a sad lacking of wider bits, though. I've ended up with making a lot of my turn screws to fit specific firearms.

You can probably go to Harbor Freight and find a set that will do everything a higher priced set will do.
    Probably do something the higher priced ones won't. Break under a little pressure.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by alamogunr View Post
    Probably do something the higher priced ones won't. Break under a little pressure.
    You need the proper balance between hard enough to do the job, yet still able to bend or even break before damaging the screw. Like you, I’ve had less-than-great luck with cheaper brands, but feel pretty good with any bit from Apex, or from a reputable dealer like Brownell, Chapman, or even Wheeler. YMMV!

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Banned
    Most of the Chapman and Brownells bits are made by Apex, Wheeler is part of Midway so who knows.