Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingRepackbox
Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingLoad Data
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Firearm Collection Inventory Tracking Software

Boolit Master

Firearm Collection Inventory Tracking Software

Time to employ a new computer tracking system to inventory a collection. Complexity providing unnecessary (for my needs) is not needed or wanted. Anyone have suggestions what to look at? Should run on Apple products.

Perhaps I write my own Excel template, but think something simple and more elegant than my self produced template should be out there to be had.

Thanks

Boolit Buddy
    Spreadsheet serves just fine for me. I was thinking about some inventory software but nowadays if it's an app that would mean a subscription model plus data will be stored on someone else's server; both are a big no for me.

Boolit Master
    I just photograph each "gun" and use 3d paint to write text descriptions in the photo. Store them on multiple devices.
    QUIS CUSTODIET IPSOS CUSTODES?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by PB234 View Post
    Time to employ a new computer tracking system to inventory a collection. Complexity providing unnecessary (for my needs) is not needed or wanted. Anyone have suggestions what to look at? Should run on Apple products.

Perhaps I write my own Excel template, but think something simple and more elegant than my self produced template should be out there to be had.

Thanks
    I think a basic Excel Spreadsheet with the top row providing all the pertinent data you want available (type such as rifle pistol shotgun, manufacturer, caliber, and ...... Then going down the data fields completed on each firearm.

One can get extensive on the top row with very detailed information one might find useful such as average group size from the firearm, rifling twist rate for each firearm, or..... All definable by you the user and holder of the data - based on your needs and desires. Additionally; one could get deep into Excel capabilities by creating other pages/tables and collecting information on each firearms range testing, load development session data, target pictures, etc...; then linking those tables back to the main page/table using macros. In essence - if one want to learn and put more effort forward a considerable quasi data base can be created and operated using Excel. And - it's your data that no one else has access to unless you give it to them or you are hacked.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    With the data on the spread sheet, for each firearm include condition percentage and value
    And make sure you back the file up on a thumb drive.
    Regards
    John

Banned
    When you clean them, photograph them and create a line on a spreadsheet. Include current value in case you pass and the wife tries to sell them for what you said you paid for them

Make, model, SN. bore, birthdate, barrel length, stock type, glass, condition, overall photo (both sides) several up-close photos (both sides)

Yes to backing it up and leave a backup copy with a trusted friend in case something happens to your house/computer/ ---

I did an Excel spreadsheet when I updated my firearms insurance. I did share it with my wife.
    NRA Benefactor Member

Boolit Grand Master
    I also use a spreadsheet. Simple enough to do.
    Don Verna

Banned
    I went the simple route. Microsoft Word. Each firearm has a title that is the Brand. Followed by a description with all the information I deem necessary. Under that is a 5x7" picture. It's all stored in Onedrive, in the cloud, so I can access it from my computer (3), two tablets and Samsung Note 10 phone, anywhere and anytime.

Ken

Boolit Master
    I use software called evernote. Created a notebook for firearms and then a note for each firearm. Not as easy to add everything up as excel, but it’s a lot easier to add notes about things like changes/upgrades, specific load data, repairs, etc.

Boolit Master
    Years ago, I simply made a computer list that contains all essential information on each gun. After buying a new one, I add it to the list. When I sell one, I delete that listing. A bit of an oversimplification, perhaps, but it has worked well for me for a long time. However, if you want a program or software, that will probably work well for you whether really necessary or not.

There is a simple database program for Mac's that I have used for many years. It is called Tap forms.

https://www.tapforms.com/

I think its around $50, and I find it very useful. The best part is that there is an iPhone version. I am an older guy and don't use my phone for much, but there is a great reason to use it with this database program. You can set up a photo field in your collection database, and take photo's with your phone directly into the database. That way you can just go around snapping photo's of each entry, and fill in the data later while relaxing on the couch - or on your computer if you have the OSX version too. It can export to CSV spreadsheet format too. I plan to do my bullet mold inventory database with photo's soon.

It is useful for other things too. I record my blood pressure readings in another database, and export the information to Numbers to show my doctor during my checkups. I have my firearm database, pool maintenance records database and others too. Oh yeah, you can password protect your databases too, which is important for things like the firearms database.

If you like to tinker, I have been playing with Libre Office Base, which is a relational database program. It is a free software suite, available for Windows, Linux and Mac. It is a lot like Microsoft Access (at least for a non-programmer like me) in that it has Tables, Queries, Forms and Report capabilities.

I have managed to export my reloading records database from the Filemaker database that it currently resides in, to Base. I have all my tables (loads, bullets, primers, powders, lubes) set up and almost have the data entry form done. I am trying to move away from Filemaker as my version is very old and I don't plan to upgrade again. It has a lot of capabilities, but a learning curve. Keeps the grey matter chugging away for me, learning new things.

Good luck with your project.
    Last edited by hporter; 07-30-2021 at 12:09 PM. Reason: spelling correction

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Pressman View Post
    I went the simple route. Microsoft Word. Each firearm has a title that is the Brand. Followed by a description with all the information I deem necessary. Under that is a 5x7" picture. It's all stored in Onedrive, in the cloud, so I can access it from my computer (3), two tablets and Samsung Note 10 phone, anywhere and anytime.

Ken
    Yeah I was looking at your collection - pretty nice.

Just kidding - I'm not at all sure about storing my weapon information in the cloud - I suppose it's secure from most everyone except those people who might come after them. I don't know if I'm being paranoid but . . .

Boolit Master

Amazing how many people do not recognize "How Insecure" their data is in the cloud; even if it's encrypted, exchanged with a VPN, and... Ever wonder how the Bad Guys are getting into those credit cards, and back accounts, and.... Many of our "Technical" service providers and their employees are fairly incompetent at their trade.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Master
    Thanks for the suggestions. I'll create a simple spreadsheet which reduces the learning curve while recording essential information yet provides the ability to expand the number of fields for each stored item. I recall there is a way to attach photos to Excel and will try to relearn that to so photos can also be on the data base.

Sound not be too hard.

Boolit Grand Master

Note Book - pen & paper, written description , when , where and cost when bought , special markings , grips etc to identify and several printed photo's of the gun with close ups of numbers and marks .

It works ... a Ruger Blackhawk , stolen in 1995 (Baton Rouge , La) was recovered in 2015 in Kingman , Ariz. The Officer who returned my gun said the description and photo's I gave them left NO doubt that the gun was mine ...it still had the Fake Ivory grips I closely photographed .
    You don't need the internet , cloud , spreadsheet or an APP ...
    The gun was gone 25 years yet my written description and photo's worked perfectly .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

I only trust myself with my firearms info, so I simply keep an inventory in the "One Note" section of my computer, each line with the gun's specifics & a current value (which I update monthly).

I print out a copy each month and place it in my gun safe for easy reference.

That ensures that when I go for my Dirt Nap, my family members will at least have a clue.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Conditor22 View Post
    Include current value in case you pass and the wife tries to sell them for what you said you paid for them --
    A shame she won’t realize what a wise investor you were until you’re gone.

Boolit Master

NM Collector software: https://www.nmcollectorsoftware.com

It will not run on my latest generation apple, but it does run on my last generation apple.