Load DataRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingInline FabricationWideners
Repackbox

Thread: Opinions please: Lyman Mag 25 or RCBS Pro Melt 2?

Boolit Man

Opinions please: Lyman Mag 25 or RCBS Pro Melt 2?

I am getting to move up from the large Lee Pro 4 I have been using to something more substantial. I am looking at the Lymany Mag 25 ($429 on Midway) or the RCBS Pro Melt 2 ($332 on Midway), both substantial investments.

While the Lee works well overall, I can see that there would be advantages to the Lyman or RCBS. I would like to tap into the collective wisdom of this forum to hear from those casters using one or the other. Please tell me what you use, your opinion and any recommendations. I did do some searching here to see if it has been discussed before but found the information to be sparse...though I will admit my searching technique might be flawed.

Thanks in advance for any advice,

Paul

Boolit Master

They are both nice pots but the RCBS is easier to use with the mould guide. The mould guide on the Lyman is homemade.

Did not look at the price’s: I would not pay that for ether one. Payed 199.00 for the Lyman and think the RCBS was 225.00.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ABD5D098-5AE0-4F9A-902B-BE2B8006EB0C.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	38.7 KB 
ID:	286753
    Last edited by dannyd; 07-27-2021 at 08:19 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    I have a MAG-25 and love it.

Boolit Master
    I had a used Mag 25 for yrs before it died I liked it alot/Ed

Boolit Master
    $429 for a Lyman? Isn't the USA made Magma $600? and twice the size.

Just got the Midway flyer with 10% off the ProMelt but I see the OP got that.

I got the ProMelt 2 for $250. If they tightened up the quality control it's probably worth another $82. I LIKE having 25 pounds of melt!
    Last edited by Mal Paso; 07-27-2021 at 10:43 PM.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mal Paso View Post
    $429 for a Lyman? Isn't the USA made Magma $600? and twice the size.
    I think I agree with Mal Paso on this one.

I have not used either the Lyman or the new RCBS, but I did upgrade from a lee 420 to an original RCBS Promelt for my bottom pouring wants.

Is it better than the Lee? Yes. Is it enough better to justify the retail cost? I don't think so. I bought my Promelt at an estate sale.

Take my advice for what its worth, keeping in mind that I like to ladle cast much more than using a bottom pour furnace. I bought one of the Lee Magnum Melter dipper pots in January (I think) right t the start of all the panic buying. I wish I had bought one years ago. No dripping or unintentional deluges of molten lead while things are heating up.

Good luck with whatever you decide,

Robert

Boolit Master
    Would not pay those kind of prices for a Chinese furnace. Invest in a Magma. Paid $200 for the Lyman Mag 25. It died this past Spring. Fortunately, I found a blown glass fuse. Replace it and it's currently working................for how long, is a mystery. Haven't use it since then, only cast in the Winter/Spring. Bought a RCBS Easy Melt around the same time.
    With the rebate, it cost under $80 delivered. Both furnaces get about equal casting time. The Easy Melt's PID hasn't hiccupped.

Winelover

Boolit Bub
    I've had my Lyman for about 3 years w/o issue. Occasionally drain and clean, drips some but clears up when I clean. Burned out my old Lyman XX, it was a fine furnace. I also have a LEE 20#, it drips some also but is serviceable. The Lyman is good but not sure it is $300 better than a LEE but it IS better. Never had a RCBS.

Boolit Master

Keep an eye out for an old Saeco or Lyman saeco copy. Nice simple 1000watt furnaces!
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

I've got the Lyman and like it, but there's no way I'd pay 429.00 for it. I got it because it was about 100.00 cheaper than the RCBS at 225.00.

Boolit Grand Master
    I know it is a lot of money....but consider investing in a Master Caster. I wish I had done that 30 years ago.

Advantages
    $100 2 cavity molds that can produce at the same rate as 4 cavity molds
    Less fatigue
    Able to cast even with minor physical limitations
    40 lbs of melt
    Melter can be removed if you want to run other molds or ladle pour
    Can be automated

Disadvantages
    Cannot run HP molds
    Limited mold designs
    Cost about $1200

Look at your needs. If you are a volume shooter with a few calibers and bullet designs it is worth considering. If you like having 30+ molds to experiment with and normally run low volumes, a traditional melter will serve you better.

In my case, almost all my cast bullet needs are for pistols and I shoot thousands a year. I have physical issues that limit how long I can cast.
    Don Verna

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    I know it is a lot of money....but consider investing in a Master Caster. I wish I had done that 30 years ago.

Advantages
    $100 2 cavity molds that can produce at the same rate as 4 cavity molds
    Less fatigue
    Able to cast even with minor physical limitations
    40 lbs of melt
    Melter can be removed if you want to run other molds or ladle pour
    Can be automated

Disadvantages
    Cannot run HP molds
    Limited mold designs
    Cost about $1200

Look at your needs. If you are a volume shooter with a few calibers and bullet designs it is worth considering. If you like having 30+ molds to experiment with and normally run low volumes, a traditional melter will serve you better.

In my case, almost all my cast bullet needs are for pistols and I shoot thousands a year. I have physical issues that limit how long I can cast.
    I assume it will be a used master caster. I called Magma a few times now(one year out). I cant even get on a list for the back order list. Would really like to get one. mostly a 220 volt model.

Boolit Mold
    I have the RCBS 220 Volt version. wired up USA, the 220 plug in is all euro style. so had to cut off and put new male end on. But really like it.

Boolit Master
    if going to spend that much on a new melting pot, you just might want to think about saving up a bit longer and jumping in with both feet and get the magma pot.
    but then again my little $50 lee bottom pour is still going strong 2 decades on and does the same thing as those bigger more costly pots. but I don't do a years worth of bullets in one sitting and don't cast for machine gun use.
    yeah I just put it on an old aluminum baking pan so if the drips go over the edges of the base I can just peel em off and drop them back in the hot pot.
    but I only use the lee for casting bullets, ingot casting gets done with a cast iron pot on propane burner.