Inline FabricationRepackboxTitan ReloadingLee Precision
RotoMetals2WidenersReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data

Thread: Question on lightweight boolit in 45/70

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar

Question on lightweight boolit in 45/70

Maybe this isn't feasible but will ask anyway. I'm all set with what I need to load BP 45/70 and have been on the lookout for a single shot - not in a rush at this point but I still keep it in the back of my mind - one will show up eventually. Anyway . . . . I have the Lee 405 grain HB mold and will be casting some up in a few weeks to take back to AZ with me this winter where my loading stuff is at for the 45/70. As I was looking and searching for some things today, I ran across the Lee 456-220-1R mold that they made for use in the Ruger Old Army and I was just wondering if anyone has used this out of a 45/70 for a lighter weight boolit - and if so, is it worth trying?

I'm not wanting to put a bunch into a rifle as I'm primarily just wanting to plink and kill cans - have always liked the history of the 45/70 cartridge though so we'll see. I may just get a Henry single shot so I can play with both BP and lighter smokeless loads - not looking to get fancy or shoot at long ranges - I'm old and past all of that. I'm not sure what the bore size is on the Henry, but saw the above boolit today and just got to wondering. If it's a no-go - any suggestions for a lighter weight boolit mold to keep an eye out for?

Thanks.

Boolit Master
    I shoot the 460-350 grain NOE bullet ,great for hunting/target Ed

Boolit Buddy
    May be to small in dia at 456. You should use a 458-459

There are ‘collar button’ moulds for the 45-70 about the lightest bullet that work.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Thank you - I'll chalk that one off the list! Didn't know if out of soft lead if it would expand enough to fit bore or not. I'll take a look at NOE and see what they have - I have a number of Al's molds and enjoy casting with them very much - top notch!

Greatly appreciate the info and advice@

Jim

I'm loading a 260gn (0.459") in my 1886 over 10gns of Trailboss!

Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy Bohannon View Post
    There are ‘collar button’ moulds for the 45-70 about the lightest bullet that work.
    I shot .490 roundball out of my sharps one time - drove em through a .460 size die, loaded flush down in the case, filled the gap on top with lube like ya would for a cap and ball pistol. just a lark for the local club but they did good.

Boolit Master
    I am liking the RCBS 300 gr RNFN bullet in my '86 Win and the Marlin 1895G
    Shoots well. Less recoil than my 457483 -385 gr bullet.
    beltfed/arnie

Vendor Sponsor

Good friend and offhand rifleman Cody Smith shoots a 40-65 and went to a pistol bullet for the 200 meter chickens and he does very well. His bullet is something in the 250grn weight range. He loads a full case of the Old KIK powder and found an accurate load.
    So accuracy can be had with the light ones.
    Chill Wills

Chill,

If you ever see a 457-121 adjustable mould for sale jump on it. It as made by Pope for Ideal.
    This mould can be set for weights from 215g, 250g, 295g, 340g, 385g, 430g, 475g.
    I don't think you would find a better chicken bullet for a .45.
    Pope also made one like it for the .40 caliber rifle.

Boolit Buddy
    Article on collar bullets in the 45-70:

https://gunsmagazine.com/gear/collar...-70-gentleman/

Boolit Buddy

Beagke the .456 mold and try as cast, would probably shoot fairly well.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by bedbugbilly View Post
    ......... As I was looking and searching for some things today, I ran across the Lee 456-220-1R mold that they made for use in the Ruger Old Army and I was just wondering if anyone has used this out of a 45/70 for a lighter weight boolit - and if so, is it worth trying?

............ If it's a no-go - any suggestions for a lighter weight boolit mold to keep an eye out for?

Thanks.
    I have tried the Lee 456-220-1R in the 45-70. It worked just ok and then when cast soft and with a 9 gr charge of bullseye (1175 fps) so the smaller bottom and middle bands would bump up. I even opened up the bottom drive band of the mould so it would drop that band at .460. Did a little better but still not as good as I some commercial cast 312 gr bullets did. I then got the Rapine 460-250-FN and it is the proverbial "cat's meow" dropping at 270 gr from my moulds. Loaded over 8 gr of Bullseye it runs 1050 fps +/- out of my four rifles with excellent accuracy to 300+ yards. I believe Accurate makes a replica of the Rapine bullet.

It is the 2nd from the left.

Attachment 287013
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla