Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingLoad DataReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Repackbox

Thread: Question About Iphone

Boolit Master

Question About Iphone

I just got a new Iphone12. My wife got one a few weeks ago and has been asking question about it that I couldn't answer so I needed a replacement anyway.

We had old Iphone's so I asked the lady we bought them from if we could use the charging blocks and leads to charge the new ones. She said it was risky and might damage the new phone. I suspect that she wanted to sell overpriced stuff. Wife had already bought one of the chargers that the lady recommended. New phones will charge from a pad that we just lay the phones on.

Can anyone verify that it is ok to charge an Iphone12 with the charging block and lead from Iphone6? We would only be using when traveling or some other emergency use. I'm thinking that the only difference would be charging would take longer.
    John
    W.TN

USMC 77, USRA 79

i do it all the time... lol
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Boolit Master
    If the plug fits, I think you're good. Apple'd be pretty dumb to open themselves up to the liability of having their new phones damaged by easily plugged in but incompatible chargers (I recall at least three mutually exclusive plug changes as battery technology has improved).

The newest plug in chargers can charge at a much higher rate than the older models (with the same plugs), so I suppose it's possible that some technology related upper limit of battery charging of an older model, if such exists, could be exceeded. But the latest phone and battery with a new charger I don't think would be an issue.

My ancient iPhone actually has software (via update) to regulate the charging rate to extend battery life. I'd guess the factory software in your new phone has the same or better.

Boolit Buddy
    My charger for iPhone11 is bigger than old iphone 7, I guess it's capable of pumping more amps. Guess charging time might be different other than that I don't see why old one wouldn't work.

Boolit Buddy
    The simple answer is yes.

Using the iPhone 6 gear won't charge the 12 as quickly as the new MagSafe stuff, but it definitely will not hurt the phone.

But use good chargers and cables (OE Apple or Anker are my choices)...Crappy Chinese knockoff chargers are a crap-shoot.

Yep, no issue, but it is nice to lay the phones on a charging pad and not have to plug them up. BTW, any pad works.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

She was trying to sell you things you didn’t need. The iPhone 6 cube is fine. Charging an iPhone frequently with a larger output charger could shorten battery life.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Master
    You're good. My daughter uses my old 5 charger when she is traveling. We got her one of the charging pads for Christmas that she leave by her bed.

Boolit Master

Thanks for the responses. I plan to keep the 2 chargers from Iphone6 and use them when traveling. Years ago, I lost a charger when I left it in a motel room. Didn't realize it for a few days and wasn't sure which motel I left it in. My memory hasn't improved since then.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by alamogunr View Post
    Thanks for the responses. I plan to keep the 2 chargers from Iphone6 and use them when traveling. Years ago, I lost a charger when I left it in a motel room.
    I read several years ago a charger could be used to hack your phone by planting software in it that then infects the phone.
    The cord socket on my wife’s I—11 went bad and wouldn’t allow power to enter her phone. We have a dozen good cords but only one would work and not all the time. She since purchased a 12 and will only use the cordless pad charger.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bmi48219 View Post
    I read several years ago a charger could be used to hack your phone by planting software in it that then infects the phone.
    The cord socket on my wife’s I—11 went bad and wouldn’t allow power to enter her phone. We have a dozen good cords but only one would work and not all the time. She since purchased a 12 and will only use the cordless pad charger.
    If the charger is never out of your possession, how would it be hacked? Ours have never been out of our house.

On a side note, I'm having a tremendous problem turning my old phone in because I don't know the password. I don't use the phone like most people. It is a phone. I don't play games, keep my finances on it, etc. I keep trying because it is worth a $400+ credit against the new phone.

If SWMBO didn't insist on an Iphone, I would go Android. They are not as intuitive but easier to deal with,( I Think).
    John
    W.TN

Moderator Emeritus

A charging cord could only harm your phone if it is hooked to a USB port on a computer. That was Apples rational when they went away from USB ends and to a type C? end on their charging cord. Of course if you use it they get to sell you a charger too as it isn't included. They are looking to microsoft as to ideas to fleece customers.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by alamogunr View Post
    If the charger is never out of your possession, how would it be hacked? Ours have never been out of our house.
    At the time I read about it I was traveling and frequently staying in hotels. It made sense if I left the charger in the room while at work someone could tamper with it. Not saying it would happen, just possible.

Boolit Master

We have "7" Qi chargers all over the house! They less than 15.00 on that river site and charger super fast! Very convenient. I even have a Qi cradle in my truck.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5177CYC1XVL._AC_UY218_.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	7.1 KB 
ID:	286815
    The unexamined life is not worth living....Socrates
    Pain, is just weakness leaving the body....USMC
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is FINAL!....Wyatt Earp