RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionRepackboxInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingLoad DataReloading EverythingWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Shooting quarters at 100 yds

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MUSTANG View Post
    Guess I am truly what others ribbed me about years ago "So tight that he will squeeze the excrement out of a buffalo nickel". I also had a guy I knew play a trick on me where he crazy glued a dime and a penny on a rail in the tech area we worked in. I tried to pick it up and it was glued down - he burst out with a belly rolling laugh spell - meanwhile I had gone over to the tool chest and picked up a big screw driver that I used to pop the dime and penny off the rail, which I then pocketed. He quit laughing.

Back many years ago when I was attached to the US State Department; we used to practice at 25 yards and even 50 yards with our issue 2 inch Smith & Wesson Model 36 (Chiefs Special) 38 special's using military 38 ball. Our targets were 12 gauge shotgun shells. Back then I was able to always hit 4 out of 5 and at times 5 of 5 (Much better eyes, physical conditioning, and muscle control back then compared to now). Moving to 50 yards was a "LOT TOUGHER" on a 2 Gauge shell casing.
    Back in the days of wheel gun competition, I used to shoot with the East Arkansas Peace Officers Association as a ringer with the local S.O. I did not compete with it, but I could hit a beer can fairly regularly at 50 yards with my S&W Model 60-4 3". !2 gauge shot shell would have been a bit above my ability even back then ... 35 years or so ago.
    Britons shall never be slaves.

Boolit Master

Ahhhh Yes. In our sage years, we seem to harken back to the "Good Ole Days" of our youth. Many of our current crop of "Spray and Pray" shooters no longer seek the challenges of developing their shooting skills beyond 10/15 yards for handgun or 50 yards for rifle - despite the numbers of "Precision Rifles/Pistols" available in the market today. My eyes and physical conditioning are diminished; but thank the Lord that my memory and faculties have not.

Enjoying the performance of others using today's precision instruments. Keep sharing.
    Last edited by MUSTANG; 07-28-2021 at 07:30 PM.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.
    Quote Originally Posted by pietro View Post

You've been a baaaad boy !

If you're convicted of defacing U.S. bills or coins, you can face fines, jail time, or both.

For bills, the maximum fine is $100 and the maximum jail sentence is six months.

For coins, the jail sentence can be up to five years.

However, to be convicted, you must have the intent to defraud someone...……………….
    Guess we have to arrest bi-deng, as he’s defaced more money quicker than anyone else!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by jim147 View Post
    I might need to drag the 722 in .222 out. I'm not as steady as I used to be and can't see as well as I used to but for an old garage gun that I inherited it sure shoots. It's got a cheap scope on see through rings. My last 5 5 shot ladder loads all worked well. The worst one was 5/8".
    There is no way I could have punched that quarter at 200 yards without the rest and bags. The rifle and load are capable, the shooter is a real weak link.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Drive some small box nails with it and you can call that beautiful rig a 'Tack Driver' ...

Or, if you like...split some playing cards. This is shim stock here...

Try some pennies...stuck in the target on their edge...

And...for a real treat...you boys with .22 cal's...shoot through a Life Saver without busting it. I was on the second bag of life savers before I could do that. It became a Monkey on my back and I couldn't quit till I got him off!

super glue will do the trick...

WARNING . . . Challenges can become an obsession but what else can you do at the range to have more fun?
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Master

lol - love it!
    My Iraq Pics

Preferred Travel Agent - 72 Virgins Dating Club

Boolit Grand Master

Fine shooting OS_OK!
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

Quote Originally Posted by imashooter2 View Post
    Fine shooting OS_OK!
    THANKS but you have to remember this...

"Every old squirrel finds a nut if he tries long enough!"

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by OS OK View Post
    THANKS but you have to remember this...

"Every old squirrel finds a nut if he tries long enough!"
    I see two on one target… either that squirrel did a LOT of trying or he has skills.

Quote Originally Posted by imashooter2 View Post
    I see two on one target… either that squirrel did a LOT of trying or he has skills.
    Pure Luck...my friend!
    To prove it, I thought I was soooo lucky that I went the same day and bought a lotto ticket...checked it the other day...nothing!

Luck is like a butterfly that lands on your barrel...you go to take a picture and 'poof' it's gone!

Boolit Master
    LOL. Yep, like the old saying, 'If let a monkey slam on a typewriter long enough, eventually he will write a novel'.

I like challenging targets as well. Clay pigeons at 500-600yd. Soda cans at 300-400yd. Gallon water jugs at 1000yd.

Inspired by an article in one of the gun mags decades ago, Animal crackers in the back yard with bb/pellet guns. You can even hide them in the grass for an imitation safari

Quote Originally Posted by AndyC View Post
    Too big so not enough of a challenge, but I like the idea

Thanks
    You must shoot dimes, without the scope.

Good shooting!

Boolit Master

Well, there's a couple of problems with that:

1. These 56-yr eyes can't see a quarter at 100 yards by themselves, much less a dime.
    2. There are no irons on this rifle.
    My Iraq Pics

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Savvy Jack View Post
    What, no Silver Dollars? Geeesh

LOL, Nice shooting!!
    No silver dollars, "gold" dollars. And they are about 5% larger by then a quarter.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MUSTANG View Post
    Guess I am truly what others ribbed me about years ago "So tight that he will squeeze the excrement out of a buffalo nickel". I also had a guy I knew play a trick on me where he crazy glued a dime and a penny on a rail in the tech area we worked in. I tried to pick it up and it was glued down - he burst out with a belly rolling laugh spell - meanwhile I had gone over to the tool chest and picked up a big screw driver that I used to pop the dime and penny off the rail, which I then pocketed. He quit laughing.

Back many years ago when I was attached to the US State Department; we used to practice at 25 yards and even 50 yards with our issue 2 inch Smith & Wesson Model 36 (Chiefs Special) 38 special's using military 38 ball. Our targets were 12 gauge shotgun shells. Back then I was able to always hit 4 out of 5 and at times 5 of 5 (Much better eyes, physical conditioning, and muscle control back then compared to now). Moving to 50 yards was a "LOT TOUGHER" on a 2 Gauge shell casing.
    My wife made a fool of herself trying to pick up a coin glued to pathway into a north QLD service station, the whole thing was on CTV in the shop. She also was tight like a fishes bottom and that is water tight. Regards Stephen.

I have to tell a true story about a Springfield 03 I bought in 1977 that i paid around a hundred dollars for. It was still wearing the parkerized finish but had been sporterized with a Bishop stock and Timney trigger, it had an old Wever kV 1.5-5 scope on it, it had very fine crosshairs. I wish i still had the target. I loaded-- used Remington Brass with 54gr of IMR4350 with Hornady 150gr flat base bullets, using a lee loader(wack a mole)and i covered 5shots with a quarter on a 100yrd target from a solid sandbag rest. By the markings on the Barrel, it had been re-barreled at the RockIsland Arsenal in 1938.

This is not to take anything away from the inital post. its just fun to talk about accurate rifles we find.
    A Boy in a Old Man's Body. I Shoulda Been a Cowboy

Boolit Master

Not at all - that's awesome!!
    My Iraq Pics

Banned

Love my Arken 34mm FFP 6-24x50 - what a great scope for so few pesos!

Boolit Bub
    Defacing US Currency or coins is a felony Wouldn't it be cheaper to trace a quarter And run copies on your printer

Save all the knockouts from electrical boxes.
    Cheaper than quarters and legal.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast