RotoMetals2Load DataWidenersSnyders Jerky
Inline FabricationRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Titan Reloading Reloading Everything
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: No More Slugging Barrels for Me :-)

Boolit Buddy
    That's certainly a possibility. For me this was much easier because I don't have any lead balls to use as slugs. I was just doing the best I could with what I had on hand.

Boolit Buddy
    One conclusion I've come to is that this does absolutely nothing to degrading the TP from performing flawlessly in its intended purpose. Actually, this activity adds texture, thereby potentially increasing its effectiveness.

Boolit Buddy
    That sounds plausible. I too would use the lead ball method but I don't have any.

Boolit Buddy
    Well, us retired folks live for putzing around. It's what fills my day.

Boolit Buddy
    This brings back memories of a Myth Busters episode.

Boolit Buddy
    I'm playing around with a RR too, looking for nirvana. So far what I've determined is that I'm burning through lots of powder, primers and bullets. No earth shattering revelations yet.

Boolit Buddy
    No rolls of TP were rendered useless by performing this testing. I can confirm the perforated product works just as well as non-perforated.

Boolit Master
    Waksupi's empty case makes the most sense, maybe anneal before shooting. All the fussing at measurements is theory until bullets go down range. Do some research, see what sizes most commercial casters provide and start shooting. Pushing a lead slug though the bore might show some tight or loose spots but so will a tight patch on a cleaning jag. I reload and cast to shoot MORE BETTER. The definition of BETTER varies by individual. I guess some folks lack the opportunity to shoot so fussing at their rifles and loading cartridges take over for actual shooting. Got a 30 cal, start with .310 and .311, .309 might work. What will chamber? What neck tension works(neck expander diameter). I run cartridges through the action, so seating depth is limited to magazine/action length and what will eject without hanging up/jamming the action.

Boolit Buddy
    Toilet paper, sand, swimming pool….wow that’s quite an environment to deal with. Quick and dirty (and only marginally valuable) is a fishing barrel weight. I got a starting point for sizing on a .308 barrel yesterday in less than a minute. Lubed and tapped in and measured .3074, chose to size to .309. Pound cast takes longer but it gives you a lot more and better information. My wife does stain glass and I’m stealing some of that soft “lead” edge stuff she uses and I want to try that on my next pound cast. Bill.

Boolit Grand Master

A bucket of water works well also put a lid on it from cardboard.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123