RepackboxLee PrecisionReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: No More Slugging Barrels for Me :-)

Boolit Buddy

Red face No More Slugging Barrels for Me :-)

Just something I came up with today in order to find barrel size since I don't don't have any soft lead slugs to use. For me, this is easier than what I've gone through before to create slugs to use. If you have readily available slugs to use, by all means, use those. Please don't think I'm trying to get you to switch to this method.

This is easier for me, YMMV.

In short, make up a round with the bare minimum charge required for the bullet to clear the barrel when fired. Unfortunately, you'll probably have to clear a squib or two when you go too low. Once you get that "just barely" load, go get a roll of toilet paper and shoot into that. As long as your charge is low enough, the bullet will stop somewhere in the roll. All you have to do is search through the plies until you find your perfectly intact bullet.

Am I missing something that would cause the recovered bullet to not be just as good as a slug done in the usual way?
    Last edited by RydForLyf; 07-31-2021 at 12:17 PM.

Boolit Master

Toilet paper is for sh------ and not shooting. I think any soft media would work. Why not sand at that velocity?

Well, once you clear the first squib, you have your measurement.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    A pure lead ball driven from the chamber with a hickory rod works good also for a fast bore sizing
    Regards
    John

Kinda works but stuff like roll stamp and front sight notch make barrel NOT the same dia all the way down.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master
    Also, in my opinion, any power charge that will reliably cause a bullet to exit the barrel may have enough momentum to slightly bump up the diameter of the bullet when it impacts the paper. Even if it's only a half thousandth, it would be an imperfect result. And I really don't see how this method is any easier than the traditional method.

No way I'm gonna waste a valuable commodity like TP for that purpose. jd
    It seems that people who do almost nothing, often complain loudly when it's time to do it.

Boolit Buddy
    Just a guess, but will a squib load fully fill the grooves? I'm thinking not.
    An oversize pure lead roundball is my method, it takes less than a min. and I can feel it all the way down, for tight or loose spots, which could be important.
    Tony

Boolit Master

seems like a lot of putzing around to find that special load that just clears the barrel but doesn't deform the boolit when it stops in whatever media, (and for sure the sand suggested media seems questionable).

I know I putzed around finding my just right slow speed fire-lapping load and then went out on a way colder day only to have every round squibbed until I set the rounds out in the sun to warm up a bit. (who knew 30-40 degrees difference would have so much impact on 357 mag loads with just 0.3 - 0.4 grains of Titegroup?)
    Last edited by oley55; 07-27-2021 at 10:32 AM.
    “Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.” Ronald Reagan

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by AlHunt View Post
    Well, once you clear the first squib, you have your measurement.
    That was my thought ... clear the squib and you have something to measure ...

I still haven't forgotten the Great Toilet Paper Shortage of 2020 ... I'm not wasting one single roll of my stash / hoard ... could have another wave any time ... and inflation keeps driving the price higher and higher .
    Mom was fond of saying " Waste not , want not " .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Vendor Sponsor

If it's soft enough to slug the bore without springback, it is DEFINITELY soft enough to bump up in whatever "gentle" media you use to catch it.

Can't reinvent the mouse trap on this one, there are numerous credible posts on how to slug a barrel that work much better than the way you are describing.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Buddy
    For what it's worth, my .32-20 will put a lead bullet about 1/2" into the rifling with just a primer (probably not good for powder burn in real loads). By contrast, .32-40 and .30-30 stay put in the case - they would need some help to get the bullets into the throat.
    It'll be handy if I never need it.

Insomniac, agnostic, dyslectic - awake all night wondering if there is a Dog.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by high standard 40 View Post
    Also, in my opinion, any power charge that will reliably cause a bullet to exit the barrel may have enough momentum to slightly bump up the diameter of the bullet when it impacts the paper. Even if it's only a half thousandth, it would be an imperfect result. And I really don't see how this method is any easier than the traditional method.

So if we shoot it straight up and catch in on the way down - no deformation. Of course you need a $1 million Doppler Radar to track it on the way down.

Boolit Master
    I have found that the dimensions of the throat are far more important than the bore after a trip down the barrel.

Boolit Master

They do it in swimming pools and ballistics labs tanks all of the time.

Boolit Master
    as Charlie B said there is nothing better than a pound cast of the throat. all slugging the bore tells you is the size of the smallest part of the bore, nothing else.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by dondiego View Post
    They do it in swimming pools and ballistics labs tanks all of the time.
    Yes to capture a bullet to "fingerprint" it's rifling, etc but not dead soft lead which you use to slug a bore with. It is too soft to give an accurate measurement after it is fired into media that will stop it. Just the G forces of deceleration is enough to distort the diameter enough to introduce erroneous readings.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy View Post
    Yes to capture a bullet to "fingerprint" it's rifling, etc but not dead soft lead which you use to slug a bore with. It is too soft to give an accurate measurement after it is fired into media that will stop it. Just the G forces of deceleration is enough to distort the diameter enough to introduce erroneous readings.
    Interesting! I had never considered that.

Boolit Grand Master
    I doubt I will ever slug another barrel.

But I am curious....if a .308 barrel slugs at .308, do you size to .309, .310, or something else? Why?

Second question, what variation have you guys have you seen in modern .308 barrels?

I think you can see where I am going with this. BTW, used a rifle barrel in the questions above as it matters even less for most pistol loads.

Just wondering if anyone shooting .38/.357 has ever had poor performance with a cast bullet sized .359? Or a 9mm sized .357?
    Don Verna

Banned

Throat dimensions are more important. You get more and better information from a cerrosafe casting than slugging a bore anyway.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast