RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingLoad DataLee PrecisionRepackbox
Reloading Everything

Thread: Savage Rifle Build

Savage Rifle Build

Hi Folks, Been distracted from my pistol shooting and bullet casting for almost 10 months due to the introduction of Short Range Bench Shooting. A side effect of starting work at a rifle range.

Anyways have been shooting and doing load development for a 223 bolt gun, which I now own 2! Both Savage, one 223 Axis and one Model 10 223. I have been convinced and encouraged to shoot in the Ranges Winter Rifle League. I'm goin to get smoked but that's OK, all in good fun.

So I also recently acquired a Savage Model 11 barreled receiver that is supposed to be in VGC, it just got to my FFL so I haven't picked it up yet, it is currently chambered in 243Win. The gun is also coming with the remains of the synthetic stock that is is two pcs. Don't know the story behind it. Now I also have a brand new never fired take off Model 12 26" Varmint barrel coming in. Price was so right on this barrel I couldn't pass it up.

My thinking ATM is to restock it with either a Boyds Pro Varmint or Spike Camp laminate but am really leaning towards the Richards Microfit Field Trekker or Wolverine model in Walnut. Then to rebarrel? Leave the 243, install the 223 Varmint or change to an aftermarket 6mm Norma BR?

Boolit Master

From an accuracy standpoint I would have to recommend the 6BR. I have two of them and accuracy is easily obtained. I tried several 22-250's and they shot OK. Both of my 6br's shoot lights out.
    Good Luck,
    Rick

My Friends and enablers at the range tell me the same thing. I have the 223 barrel as the mail just delivered it. The 243 would require a whole new set of dies, brass and load development. The 223 I already have been reloading. A 6BR would be down the road a short bit. Also I have been looking at and considered the new 6 ARC.

For now though the concentration will be on finding the right stock and fitting the action.

Anyone here ever use a Richards Stock?

I've used two Richard's stocks. They were seconds, which meant I had to do a bit of corrective shaping or fill small knot holes- but the figure was amazing for the price. This was 15 years ago or so so- I don't have any recent dealings to speak of.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    243, 223, bolt face?

Quote Originally Posted by Gtek View Post
    243, 223, bolt face?
    Haven' gotten that far yet. Still working on which stock.

Boolit Master
    6ARC has less capacity than the BR. 6x47 or 6CM if you want faster, but, then the barrel goes south sooner. Kinda like the .243.

The take off barrel would be a good idea if you want to stick with .223, but, you'll need a new bolt face for it. And then you'd have 3 .223's.

What I would do? I'd get a good barrel in 6BR. Krieger, Bartlein, etc. Cut rifled. But, that is an expensive proposition, and probably take a few months to get. Shoot the .243 and 'learn' the 6mm. You can load it 'hot' since you would have a new barrel coming and not have to worry about shooting out the .243 in 1000rnds or so.

Shoot the Axis, Model 10, and then put the varmint barrel on the model 10 and shoot it. Whichever one shoots the best, keep. Keep one of the barrels as a 'spare' if you ever wear one out.

charlie b, once again we are thinking alike.

Well this Model 12 Varmint barrel isn't going to fit the wood stock on the Model 10, barrel channel is way too small. The 243 bolt face is the same for the 6BR, different for the 6 ARC.

Once I have this Model 11 started with a stock the Axis will probably go away regardless of which way I go. So I'm thinking of going 243/6mm with the 11 and then saving the 223 barrel and maybe later restocking the Model 10.

Boolit Grand Master
    You can always have someone set-back the 243 barrel and rechamber it to 6mmbr or 6mm brx or find you a good used 6mmbr barrel and have it rechambered to 6mm brx. If you know someone who has a 22br reamer with a live pilot, just use that reamer with a 6mm pilot to lengthen the 6br chamber to BRX.

Boolit Master

Or set the 243 barrel back and have it chambered for 6br in order to give the cartridge a test drive?
    Rick

Most likely this barrel will be left as-is and used a bit to replenish funds and then be replaced with a good after market Target barrel in some form of 6mm. But again that is down the road.

For now I need to find a stock. One option is that Boyds has one now listed in their Rapid Fire Sales that will fit the bill for a Model 11 Bottom Bolt Release, SA, DBM. Only it is a Spike Camp in a color that I am not fond of. Tempted but uncertain that is what I want.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    For your immediate situation I would suggest something more appropriate to target work . Perhaps the AT 1 series .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Quote Originally Posted by Harter66 View Post
    For your immediate situation I would suggest something more appropriate to target work . Perhaps the AT 1 series .
    Might be nice but I just don't like it.

Boolit Master

You're tempting me into looking for a Savage action I can repurpose.
    My Iraq Pics

Preferred Travel Agent - 72 Virgins Dating Club

Quote Originally Posted by AndyC View Post
    You're tempting me into looking for a Savage action I can repurpose.
    I hear ya.
    I have so many options on this one I'm having trouble deciding which way to go. Stay with the 243 for now? Swap out the barrel for this 223 Varmint I just received or wait and do a 6mm? For now I am waiting until I can pick it up tomorrow and then I have a friend that is going to bore scope it for me.

Boolit Master

Ouch - I don't envy you that decision

I'm probably going to go with a 6.5 CM myself, just so I have something that can reliably do over 1k yards once I'm good enough.
    My Iraq Pics

Preferred Travel Agent - 72 Virgins Dating Club

That is the sweet part about these Savage actions, they are so simple to change with the right tools even I can change one. Which again brings me back to the barrel is the least of my worries. First I need to decide on a stock and then get it bedded.

I've been receiving pictures of finished Richards stocks and I have to say I am seeing some fantastic work. Anyone else have any to post? Would really love to see the Field Trekker if someone has one.

Boolit Master
    Run away before it’s too late, take it from me, the Savage vortex is as powerful as the one that exists for owners of Contenders!

I assume you know about the Savage Shooters forum? (In case you do not want to runaway?)

The 6mm BR is generally a single feed proposition though Savage did make some DBM but they are hard to find and discontinued I believe. The cartridge will usually be twisted in the single digits for heavy VLD j words and about 12 twist for lighter varmint bullets. It’s a lot harder to make it shoot poorly than well.

I bought Lapua brass and they run undersized flash holes (improves accuracy) and you will have to hunt around for under sized de-capping pins.

An alternative to your stock question is to find a dirt cheap plastic stock on a forum to butcher away (or even two) like Savages Tupperware stock and then go for a nicer stock when you settle down to what your long term goal will be.

Three44s
    Last edited by Three44s; 07-28-2021 at 10:52 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Well folks both the Savage Model 12 Varmint barrel and the Savage Model 11 barreled action are now in my possession and on my bench.

Three44s it's too late, I've already been swept up and carried away. The Monster is devouring me.

So upon a quick inspection everything looks to be in VGC. Now that I have the receiver in hand I can contact Savage to inquire about replacement parts for the stock, being a Trigger Guard with Bolt Release and the Bottom metal for the DBM or while I'm chatting with Savage I can investigate swapping it over to a Blind Mag seeing as I need to replace the stock. But that is my immediate direction for this right now. Finding and fitting the right stock.

Just finished placing an order for a Richards Field Trekker in economy grade Claro Walnut. Now I'm excited!!!