Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationWidenersLoad DataRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky Lee Precision

Thread: Mossberg trigger spring swap

Boolit Buddy

Mossberg trigger spring swap

Has anyone used the M-CARBO trigger springs in a Mossberg 500 12 or 20 gauge?????
    Results???
    Thanks
    JAMES
    JAMESGR

Boolit Grand Master

Yes, I have, in my Mossberg 500 Slugster.

My trigger pull was very heavy before I disassembled and cleaned the trigger assembly then installed the M-CARBO springs and lubricated the assembly.

Afterwards the trigger pull was much smoother and lighter.

Subsequently I read that a good cleaning and lubricating alone can make a significant difference in trigger pull.

I can't comment on simply cleaning and lubricating except to say it can't hurt! I have no regrets buying the M-CARBO spring set though. Not a lot of money for a much nicer trigger pull. I'm happy!

Longbow

Boolit Grand Master
    Sometimes a good cleaning, a bit of polishing and a good lube (I use Lubriplate) can help a lot.
    Don Verna

I don't usually mess with trigger pulls too much. On this most recent Monkeyberg I just did, I did clean it really well with Brake Cleaner but DON"T USE BRAKE CLEANER as it wants to melt the plastic the Trigger Mechinism is made from.

I will be using stuff like Diesel or Alcohol from now on.

On a gun like this where I'm not paying much attention to the actual Trigger pulling sequence, I don't pay much attention unless it is so bad that it is unusable. Just shooting the gun 4-500 times will knock all the rough spots so that it at least isn't a gritty feeling. My trigger pull essentially is a punch anyway. I'm not looking for a Surprise Break,,, It's more like an on/off switch. even so these triggers are not that bad.

I recently found out while shooting Skeet that my 1940 Ithaca M37 didn't have a Disconnector. Since I have been conditioned to trap the trigger and then reset it after running the action on all my other guns, I found the M37 firing as soon as I racked the slide. Thus missing the second bird! I don't want to retrain my whole process to deal with one gun that i only shoot occasionally, so I called Ithaca today and found that they included a "Disconnector" back in 1975 and the parts are retro-fitable to a 1940 gun. So the Trigger Assembly will be sent to them for up date soon.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Grand Master

Randy:

While many don't have much use for WD40 for guns, I use it as a cleaner for things like my Mossberg trigger assembly. I find it useful for flushing out crud and gunk then wipe/shake to remove the majority of WD40 then lubricate with your choice of gun oil, grease or whatever.

So far I haven't had any issues with WD40 attacking anything or softening plastics.

And to qualify my above comment on the heavy trigger pull... it was HEAVY! Crisp, no creep but HEAVY! Probably the heaviest trigger pull in any gun I've owned. It actually took signficant and distracting effort to pull the trigger!

After cleaning and installing the M-CARBO springs it is much improved.

Longbow

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for the replies, I've cleaned the trigger group and still have to think about the effort needed to pull the trigger. I'm testing slug loads from the bench and trying not to pull the Mossberg off target with the trigger pull. So, like longbow, I think I'll try the MCARBO spring kit. For 30 bucks or a little less including shipping not much to lose. Dropping a pound or so may be all that is needed.
    I have a Timney kit on order for my 12 ga. 870 rifled barrel. Going to have a local gunsmith to install it. He's only about 2 1/2 miles from my house. Good Guy.
    W.R. you are right. Brake Cleaner is a good solvent FOR METAL.
    Thanks
    JAMES
    JAMESGR

Kent: How many rounds have you put thru that gun? They don't loosen up until you've got a few hundred thru them.

My Tactical Gun has probably 2000 plus thru it between 4 classes at Front Sight (400 rounds per class, and another 400 in Misc. shooting) Trigger is not noticeable which means it can't be bad or I'd notice it. But it is the best of all my Mossberg guns,,, Simply because it has been shot the most.

Same with my Gray House gun except it was an older gun and I have no idea how many rounds have gone thru it. The new "Monkeyberg" appeared to have not been shot alot,,, but I have no real Idea how many rounds have gone thru it but my best estimate is less than 200 thru. It benefitted greatly from the Deburring Session and feels like the others now.

On Guns like these that are going to be used in the "Tactical/Defensive Sense," you don't want a super light trigger or you might end up popping off a round that you didn't want to. If someone is standing in front of the gun you need to make sure that if you pull the trigger it is a "Deliberate Act" and not a spastic response that resulted in a Negligent Discharge.

I'm the same way about my Glocks which all have stock triggers with 5 lb. pulls. Way too many people mod the triggers on their Glocks down to 3 lb and this can and will cause problems in a dynamic situation.

Remember,,, You are responsible for every round you fire! And thus need to make sure that you actually meant to fire the gun each time it goes off. In dynamic situations the first thing that goes out the window is your trigger control. Hence my reasoning against light trigger pulls on Combat Weapons.

YMMV

Randy.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Grand Master

Randy:

No idea how many rounds have been put through the gun. I bought it used. It is in good shape and very smooth except the trigger took a significant and distracting effort to pull. It was HEAVY!

It is not a light trigger pull now, just more typical of a shotgun... or other shotguns I own and have shot anyway. It is certainly not a "hair trigger".

I haven't put a scale on it. I dont have a trigger pull scale.

I'd say it is now just typical for a shotgun trigger. No danger of it being accidentally pulled because it is too light. Before it was unpleasantly heavy.

Longbow

I run M*Carbo on all my Mossberg’s. Drops the poundage by roughly half.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JAMESGR View Post
    Thanks for the replies, I've cleaned the trigger group and still have to think about the effort needed to pull the trigger. I'm testing slug loads from the bench and trying not to pull the Mossberg off target with the trigger pull. So, like longbow, I think I'll try the MCARBO spring kit. For 30 bucks or a little less including shipping not much to lose. Dropping a pound or so may be all that is needed.
    I have a Timney kit on order for my 12 ga. 870 rifled barrel. Going to have a local gunsmith to install it. He's only about 2 1/2 miles from my house. Good Guy.
    W.R. you are right. Brake Cleaner is a good solvent FOR METAL.
    Thanks
    JAMES
    JAMESGR
    I am cheap. I will try taking a coil off each of the factory springs (hammer and trigger) before spending $30. I have three M500's (like redundancy) so close to $100 to do them all. If I screw up one gun it is not the end of the world until i get replacement springs. I have wound springs in the past so that is an option but I can usually find something in one of the spring assortments I have hoarded over the years.
    Last edited by dverna; 07-27-2021 at 07:36 PM.
    Don Verna

Boolit Grand Master

I'm cheap too... though I prefer the term "frugal". Had I been thinking before acting I likely would have taken the trigger assembly out and apart to clean and examine the contacting bits. If contacting faces were rough I am sure they could have been safely smoothed then everything cleaned, lubed and reassembled. That might have resulted in an acceptable trigger pull with no expense except a bit of WD40 for cleaning, some oil and time.

However, for the $20.00 or so I paid for the M-CARBO springs I can't complain and the trigger pull is much better now.

If I get another Mossberg with heavy trigger pull I would try cleaning and smoothing before parting with money but if the trigger pull was still heavy I wouldn't hesitate to buy another M-CARBO spring set.

Longbow

Boolit Grand Master

It is good to read being "frugle" and 'willing to tackle the job" is still alive and well. Long live all you "I can do that" fellers !
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Buddy
    I ordered the M*Carbo spring kit for the Mossberg. After I get it installed and can try it. I'll let ya'll know how it works out.
    Thanks
    JAMES
    JAMESGR

Boolit Master

I had a TriStar Viper G2 20ga which is the same gun as the Mossberg SA20. It had about a 7lb factory trigger and even with the spring removed it was 6 lb. I ended up having to very carefully change the sear angle to get it down to 4 lbs.
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

Boolit Buddy
    Both of the trigger spring kits are installed. The Timney in 870 is 3 1/2# and the M*Carbo in 500 is 4 1/4#. Have a range day planed for tomorrow.
    Thanks for the replies
    JAMES
    JAMESGR