WidenersRepackboxRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataReloading EverythingLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Snyders Jerky Titan Reloading

Thread: Adding a Sprue Plate Handle to Accurate Molds

Boolit Master

Adding a Sprue Plate Handle to Accurate Molds

So I've got two 4-cavity Accurate molds and so far I have been whacking the sprue plate with a wooden mallet every time. It works but it feels... like it might be less than optimal.

I made the assumption that they would be compatible with Lee sprue plate handles since they also use the regular Lee handles, and I managed to find some for sale:
    https://www.titanreloading.com/lee-p...od-handle-34x5
    https://www.titanreloading.com/lee-p...56-sprue-lever

They seem to sell quite a few "service parts" for Lee molds as well, including bolts and such. Does anybody know what bolts I need to buy?
    I'm a big fan of data-driven decisions. You want to make me smile, show me a spreadsheet! Extra points for graphs and best-fit predictive equations.

Boolit Grand Master
    I have never cast with an Accurate mold, but I have with Lyman four cavity molds, so here goes.

Next time you have your mold up to temp, try twisting the sprueplate with a gloved hand. I use plain old cheap leather driving gloves when I cast. You aren't holding the sprue plate or mold long enough for the heat to transfer through and burn you.

This technique works very well with two cavity molds, and it did okay with the one four cavity I tried it with.

You can't start twisting on a cold mold, but once it is hot enough it will speed your production immensely. I usually cut the sprue as within a second or two of the sprue puddle changing color.

I'm not the only one doing this, there was quite a discussion about it several years ago. It may work for you, it may not. I don't like hitting my molds either.

Good Luck,

Robert

Boolit Buddy

Last edited by Valley-Shooter; 07-25-2021 at 11:11 PM. Reason: Wrong stuff

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Valley-Shooter View Post
    Thank you, that's exactly the information I was needing! Now I just need to wait for the sprue pivot bolt to be in-stock somewhere...
    I'm a big fan of data-driven decisions. You want to make me smile, show me a spreadsheet! Extra points for graphs and best-fit predictive equations.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mk42gunner View Post
    I have never cast with an Accurate mold, but I have with Lyman four cavity molds, so here goes.

Next time you have your mold up to temp, try twisting the sprueplate with a gloved hand. I use plain old cheap leather driving gloves when I cast. You aren't holding the sprue plate or mold long enough for the heat to transfer through and burn you.

This technique works very well with two cavity molds, and it did okay with the one four cavity I tried it with.

You can't start twisting on a cold mold, but once it is hot enough it will speed your production immensely. I usually cut the sprue as within a second or two of the sprue puddle changing color.

I'm not the only one doing this, there was quite a discussion about it several years ago. It may work for you, it may not. I don't like hitting my molds either.

Good Luck,

Robert
    I will give that a shot, I cast in gloves too. I have never given that little time for the sprue to solidify, but I'm certainly not against trying that technique. Thank you for the tip.

Boolit Master
    I would like to see a pic if you put this lever on!

Got me to thinking I might do this to one of my NOE’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Daekar View Post
    So I've got two 4-cavity Accurate molds and so far I have been whacking the sprue plate with a wooden mallet every time. It works but it feels... like it might be less than optimal.

I made the assumption that they would be compatible with Lee sprue plate handles since they also use the regular Lee handles, and I managed to find some for sale:
    https://www.titanreloading.com/lee-p...od-handle-34x5
    https://www.titanreloading.com/lee-p...56-sprue-lever

They seem to sell quite a few "service parts" for Lee molds as well, including bolts and such. Does anybody know what bolts I need to buy?
    I've found wooden hammers to be too hard. I switched over to a rawhide mallet and it made it so much more enjoyable.

Boolit Master
    Ove gloves work good too.

Boolit Master
    I used the sprue cutter handle from a Lee 6-cavity mold. Just used the larger of the 2-holes in the Accurate sprue plate. With the Lee handle on the sprue plate on the opposite end of the mold from the handles that you hold in your hand, you get the camming action of the Lee handle. I have to use my wooden knocking stick for the first coupl pours but once the mold heats up, no pounding is needed. I just used the screw that came off of the Lee mold. It's long enough to do the job.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220823_182121.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	34.5 KB 
ID:	303490
    Last edited by Newtire; 08-23-2022 at 08:23 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

I use a rawhide mallet periodically but prefer to just twist the sprue with a gloved hand.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Master
    Take a look at the nicely machined steel Sprue Cutter Cam Lever from Rick at Kal Tool & Die (Red River Rick here on the Forum). I have a couple on 4-cavity Accurate molds and they work perfectly !

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7128.jpeg 
Views:	34 
Size:	189.7 KB 
ID:	303497

Here is the photo from the KAL website:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0647.jpeg 
Views:	27 
Size:	81.3 KB 
ID:	303498

His mold handles are the very best available in my opinion !

Jerry
    S&W .38/44 Outdoorsman Accumulator

Boolit Master
    OK, this is more like it. Lee sprue plate handle.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220825_205913.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	40.2 KB 
ID:	303537 IClick image for larger version. 

Name:	20220825_205913.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	40.2 KB 
ID:	303537