MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRepackboxTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Load DataLee Precision
Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: black powder cartridge question

Boolit Mold

black powder cartridge question

I have several 45-70 BP cartridges that I loaded way back when with 70 gr. compressed 3f Goex and .405 bullets. I tried the load and my shoulder won't take the recoil anymore. I pulled the bullets but the powder is naturally compressed hard and I need to remove one way or another to empty the cases. My question is, do I take these to the range and fire them down range in my trap door or do I soak them and dig out the powder under water? I don't want to start a debate, just ya or nay on firing vs soaked ie, day or two and remove powder under water to prevent ignition.
    Thanks
    CT

Just fire them off! I did this with some 45/120 rounds that I could not send via post.
    Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Cav Trooper View Post
    I have several 45-70 BP cartridges that I loaded way back when with 70 gr. compressed 3f Goex and .405 bullets. I tried the load and my shoulder won't take the recoil anymore. I pulled the bullets but the powder is naturally compressed hard and I need to remove one way or another to empty the cases. My question is, do I take these to the range and fire them down range in my trap door or do I soak them and dig out the powder under water? I don't want to start a debate, just ya or nay on firing vs soaked ie, day or two and remove powder under water to prevent ignition.
    Thanks
    CT
    3F Goex is worth salvaging where I live - dig it out dry - then shoot the primers off

I cant figure how you are gonna ignite the powder by digging it out of the case ? been there done it - still got all me fingers......................

Boolit Mold
    Thanks, I’m not worried about the small amount of BP I’d waste. I just didn’t want to blow up my trapdoor or me. I do need to find a light load if I want to shoot the old Springfield again.

Boolit Master
    I'd dig it out but use a copper wire.

Boolit Master
    You have several ways of doing it. Shoot them, dig all the powder out or just take out some and weigh what you took out to get to whatever load you want. I have found that 60 to 65 grains in my trapdoor with a 405 or 500 grain bullet is about right for me these days.

Boolit Master
    WOW!! COPPER WIRE? now that is certainly a very good conductor for a spark!!

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Toot, how would you salvage the powder?
    Regards
    John

Boolit Master
    Something made of wood.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by toot View Post
    I think the point was non-sparking tools are made of non-ferrous metals.
    Hell, if it scares you that badly just discharge it by touching the outside of the case before you dig.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    If you can't handle the recoil from that load, simply have some one else fire them.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Boolit Master
    What he said/Ed

Boolit Mold
    Bullets have already been pulled, I just need to empty the cases. I did try to dig one out but the powder came out super fine, not 3f, more like dust. I was asking if shooting that compressed load without a wad or bullet was safe for gun. I got my answer, thanks for the help.

Shoot them as blanks.
    By the time you dig out the powder if it's compressed tight you will end up mostly with dust. You can screen the powder if you want.

Down the line you will most likely ruin that rifle trying to load light loads.

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    put the bullets back in and shoot em.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Boolit Master
    I’ve salvaged a lot of blackpowder rounds for components. Usually the solid compressed part of the powder is only the top 1/4” or so, and the rest of it falls out when that is broken up.

I bang up the salvaged powder in cap&ball pistols. Waste not, want not.

Of course, “rework” of explosive materials is a serious business, requiring care and consideration. If you don’t want to do it, you shouldn’t do it.

Maybe replacing a lighter boolit would reduce the recoil and allow you to shoot your investment in loading. The Ideal 457191 300-gr is good for plinking.

Boolit Master
    What are you planning for light loads?

Boolit Master
    whittle down a round wooden dowel or go to a hobby shop & get popsicle stick or a Tung depressor. use something wood. non sparking.

Boolit Master
    I load 27 GRAINS. of 4198 behind a 200 GR, a 405 GR. and a 500 GR. cast lead bullet. with a filler, tissue paper or cotton ball on top of the powder to keep it against the primer. when it is shot a lot of confetti blows out into the air. I am in no way recommending this load to any one, it is my load.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by toot View Post
    what spark!!!???

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast