Snyders JerkyLoad DataInline FabricationRepackbox
RotoMetals2WidenersTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything Lee Precision

Thread: Questions re Lee 430-310 rf

Boolit Buddy

Questions re Lee 430-310 rf

I have a bunch of these 310gr powder coated bullets (no gas check) and I'm wondering if anyone has experience putting these through an S&W 29-2 for use on deer and elk.
    Thanks

Vendor Sponsor

Make sure they will slide through your cylinder throats before you load them as they may not chamber once assembled if they won't go through before assembly.

That is a popular boolit for 44, I think you would find load data for it using W296/H110 2400, AA#9, LilGun, not too sure about using it without the GC crimped on the base, but you likely won't recover any of those, they are great for a 2 hole pass thru on game.

I have my SBH sights regulated for that boolit cast in 50/50+2% without PC over 17.0gr 2400, it's the only load I use with that gun now.

I neglected to add that I use a modified collet style crimp, it seems to help hold the soft alloy back until the flame front forms and it really cuts down on SD, velocities are right at 1180~1200fps and accuracy at tree stand distances 30-40yds is exceptionally good, 2" average.

This is the crimp applied by the modded collet crimp die on the left, and heavy roll crimp applied by the seating die on the right. These are Lee C430-310-RF boolits:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lee C430-310 RF Collet vs Roll Crimp1.png 
Views:	18 
Size:	722.8 KB 
ID:	286683

Here is a thread with photos showing the modded collet crimp die: https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...=1#post2239315
    Last edited by DougGuy; 07-25-2021 at 07:56 PM.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master
    I have used that boolit in my Ruger.44 mags with 17g of WC 820 with good results sized .431 and gas checked. In my Smith 629's I use the same load but with boolit sized to .429 to fit the throats.
    It's all chicken, even the beak!

Boolit Buddy
    Thank you.
    These were sized at .430 and do in fact pass easily through the cylinder throats.
    I have quite a bit of H110, 2400, 296, etc

I shoot this bullet in the GC style thru the 24" bbl of my Win 44 mag Rifle . 18grs of 2400 , std LP primer for 1550 fps & very accurate. "Very safe in my rifle". Might be a bit of heavy recoil in a revolver. I would think around 1000 fps would be a super perpetrator. Recoil I suspect would still be a handful.

Boolit Master
    I would do some serious research on the 310gr boolit for the 29-2 or any model 29. I have a really nice 1957 29, I personally would not use that boolit in my 29. Model 29's are not as tough as Super Black Hawks or any Lever guns. Pressures can rise very quickly with 310gr boolits in a 44 mag. case. Just a word of caution. If you will notice, not one response mentions the use of that boolit in a 29. A 255 grainer will work great for your said purpose.
    Last edited by 45-70 Chevroner; 07-28-2021 at 04:17 AM.

Boolit Master
    This was a duplicate of the other one.

Boolit Grand Master

For low volume hunting, you will be ok. It isn't like the gun is going to let go or anything, it's just that S&W has never made a 44 magnum that can handle 1000 rounds of such a load without developing cylinder endshake and possible a few other problems. The big problem that you may see right away is that the cylinder may rotate under recoil. You may find that after firing a couple shots, that you seemingly skipped a round. Or maybe you shoot twice, then the third you got a click, because it rotated to an already fired case. Wolff does make an extra strong cylinder stop spring which seems to have helped my 41 magnum, however, I have not shot heavy bullets with it since I installed it.

My own loads with this bullet are with 21.5 gr H110, and they bark pretty good. They also shoot very good in my Redhawk. If I was in your shoes, I would be trying lighter loads with bluedot, or maybe even unique.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    My own loads with this bullet are with 21.5 gr H110, and they bark pretty good. They also shoot very good in my Redhawk. If I was in your shoes, I would be trying lighter loads with bluedot, or maybe even unique.
    This was 44man's load as well he swore by it in Rugers and BFRs, and I would just suppose if a Smith would have stood up to a steady diet of that load, we would have seen him mention this fact in his postings so I consider the absence of any such advice, a warning not to go there with a 29.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master
    I run 21.2 gr of H110 and that slug in my Redhawk and my SRH before I traded it". Not in the Smith however.

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”