Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingWideners
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationRepackboxLee Precision
Load Data MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Big League Gouging

Boolit Master
    I must have missed them.

Boolit Master

My local gun shop has a huge stack of .40 S&W FMJ off-brand ammo that has been there for the past month. They want $38 a box for it. Nice to see that no one is buying it. They got in some SPP and SRP from CCI and the pistol primers lasted about 3 days. Rifle primers about a week. They were priced very fairly at about $.40 more per 100 than before.

I bought some SPP since I was getting light, but left the SRP for someone who needed it more. If more people did this, then things would be back to normal in short order.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Idaho45guy View Post
    My local gun shop has a huge stack of .40 S&W FMJ off-brand ammo that has been there for the past month. They want $38 a box for it. Nice to see that no one is buying it. They got in some SPP and SRP from CCI and the pistol primers lasted about 3 days. Rifle primers about a week. They were priced very fairly at about $.40 more per 100 than before.

I bought some SPP since I was getting light, but left the SRP for someone who needed it more. If more people did this, then things would be back to normal in short order.
    I'm kinda confused about your post on SPP/SR primers. The old, pre panic was like $3.90/ 100. Are you saying these were 8.00/100?
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

Boolit Grand Master
    $.40 more would make it $4.30/100

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by rockrat View Post
    $.40 more would make it $4.30/100
    Correct. Before they were about $2.95 per 100. I paid $3.32 the other day.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Master

East Arkansas where I55 & I40 come together and then split
    I met a young guy last week at the range. He was shooting a real nice Smith 19 .357. There was a box of ammo on the bench with a $79.99 price tag that stated NEW LOW PRICE.
    The youn fellow lamented that he waited too long to get into reloading. I told him it was just a bad time finding components.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 762 shooter View Post
    There is no such thing as gouging for non essentials.
    If you have ever made a profit on anything, you are gouging to one degree or another.

No one is forcing you to buy anything.

A great post. Maybe some folks need a new hobby.
    Take a kid to the range, you'll both be glad you did.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by LenH View Post
    I met a young guy last week at the range. He was shooting a real nice Smith 19 .357. There was a box of ammo on the bench with a $79.99 price tag that stated NEW LOW PRICE.
    The youn fellow lamented that he waited too long to get into reloading. I told him it was just a bad time finding components.
    That's just plain sad. Can't add any more to that.
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

Boolit Master

Stopped by the LGS today to search for primers and still none. Only powder is Lil' Gun, which I have plenty of. They got in a bunch of 9mm and some rifle rounds, but the prices are ridiculous. 9mm was Remington 100 grain "frangible" target rounds and they wanted $36 for a box of 50. Wolf 7.62 x 39 garbage was $12.99 a box of 20.

I did grab two boxes of Hornady .223 at $14 each and a bag of 100 Winchester 9mm brass for $24. Minus my 5% military discount and it wasn't too hurtful.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by rbuck351 View Post
    Stores and individuals can charge what ever they want as it is theirs to sell. I don't have to buy it if I don't like the price. Because I was sorta caught in a primer shortage in the 70s, I vowed not to let it happen again. I'm now almost 73 and don't have time to shoot as much as I want but I believe my sons will get a bunch of powder, primers, bullets, brass and lead when I'm gone.
    I'm not sorry for those that have went through a shortage and didn't prepare for another. Maybe this shortage that seems to be affecting a lot more than just gun related things, will cause more folks to be better prepared for shortages in a lot of stuff they think is essential for their well being. But, some folks never learn.
    If you that go through this shortage and fail to prepare for the next, you have no one to blame but yourself. It will happen again and it could include food, gas, clothes or any other items you need for survival. Be prepared or suffer, your choice.
    This may sound a bit harsh but I can only afford to help a few others and they will be close friends that are doing their best to help their self.
    I don't know who the Big Leagues are gouging, but it's not I. Make it not you.
    Thank you

Boolit Buddy

No gouging here.

10,000 used primers. $20.00 shipped. That's a fraction of what I paid for them new.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by shtur View Post
    No gouging here.

10,000 used primers. $20.00 shipped. That's a fraction of what I paid for them new.
    Can you guarantee they're once fired?? PM sent...

Boolit Master
    gouging? don't know if this qualifies, but a quick comparison of prices for a lee production pot IV furnace, IN STOCK-- midway $81.99, Midsouth--$62.99

Boolit Grand Master
    Stopped at LGS this week. More powders on the shelf at or close to their normal prices.

No primers.

More ammunition but still expensive.
    Don Verna

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Idaho45guy View Post
    Can you guarantee they're once fired?? PM sent...
    Well, they're not range pick-ups.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by shtur View Post
    Well, they're not range pick-ups.
    Well played...

Certainly a touchy subject! I definitely believe in capitalism and think the sellers/vendors have the right to price their reloading components or any other items they sell at what they want, based on supply and demand. With that said, I choose where to buy and how much I'm willing to spend on reloading components. Right now, I'm not buying primers or powder when I find in stock due to higher pricing.

I think we can agree, that the huge influx of new gun owners has helped create these shortages causing prices to soar with all firearm related items including firearms!

What I'm seeing in my area, is reloading components excluding primers, ammo and firearms trickling back in stock and pricing does seem to be coming down somewhat.
    The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first. - "Thomas Jefferson"

Quote Originally Posted by MrWolf View Post
    If folks would just not pay those prices they will come down. If you need the item that bad then oh well pay the piper and hang on as long as you can. We have all seen these cycles before. I got burned several cycles ago and swore not again. Live and learn.
    ++This. I really don't know why gouging posts such as these exist. Every time we have political situation that encourages mass buying, here comes the gouging posts. It's not gouging, it's called capitalism, supply and demand. Read an economics book if you problems understanding the concept. One is free to charge whatever he thinks the market will bear, just as one is free to pass up on any price that is deemed unacceptable to the buyer. Anybody here ever walked out of a car dealership after hearing an unacceptable price for a vehicle then go home, get on the internet and complain incessantly about the dealer's prices? I think not, as most rational people just go down the road to other car dealers until they find a price they can live with. The same thought applies any commodity. While some people on this board were too young to remember the 1994 Slick Willie primer scare, the 2008 and 2011-late 2013 component and ammo shortages prompted most thinking people to invest in components. Unfortunately, some people just don't get the message. It's getting hard to find sympathy for people who want to bitch and complain about the prices of something they, after seeing the effects of the previous shortages, had in their power to rectify when the prices eventually came down. What's even more ludicrous are the posts decrying folks, who did have sense to stock up, as hoarders. What bull$hit. Feel free to flame away, just don't give me that old tired argument " I dint have the money" If one has time to sit at a computer howling about prices, one has the time to go find a second job in order to increase ones purchasing power.

Boolit Grand Master

Times like these bring out the opposite reaction from me. I have given away 22's, 223's,270's, 308's and primers in the last year and a half. And toilet paper! And AR mags! Maybe some other things that I'm forgetting.

But this was to people that I know will use it and not resell it.

I try to stay stocked up. In good times I'll buy in quantity, take advantage of things like free shipping, sales, ect.

Gouging? To me there is a thin line between selling for a profit and jacking up the prices during shortages. Whats fair depends on how bad you need it. Or think you do.

Boolit Master

I started reloading in 2010. I was not big into shooting before then. I had no idea that primers and powder and other components would become so scarce.

So I really love it when people belittle me and other relative newbies by referencing shortages from 1994 and calling us names. Before 2012, I would shoot maybe 100 rounds per year. I was married with two kids in high school and shooting was the furthest thing from my mind.

When I got divorced and was able to start focusing on shooting and reloading, then I started to realize that the usual 150 rounds of ammo on hand was not enough.

I saw the writing on the wall and was stocked up for at least a year of shooting. But had no idea it would last 18 months and longer. I will be stocked up for five years of shooting, at least, when things stabilize.
    Last edited by Idaho45guy; 08-08-2021 at 11:02 PM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast