RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingWidenersReloading Everything
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataLee Precision
Inline Fabrication Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Worlds worst speller!

Boolit Master

Worlds worst speller!

Is anyone besides me the worlds worst speller? I can do any kind of math on this earth but spelling wow. When I was young the system decided phonics was not needed I have been suffering with that decision all my life.

Boolit Master

Yeah mines not the best either. Im good with numbers too. The wife is the speller in the house. I handle the budget end.
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

I'll bet I'm considerably older than you are. When I learned readin' & writin' the method taught was recognition. You recognized the word from repetitious reading of such books as "Dick and Jane", and there were spelling tests every day. Some of them required you to write out the word, like "What word is missing in this sentence? Fill in the blank." But other spelling tests were multiple choice with a word spelled five different ways, circle the correct spelling. I had a hard time learning to read and write, but eventually the light came on and it became one of my strengths. Unlike you, my math abilities are limited. Second year Algebra was as far as I went, for which I did receive an "A", but I flunked Geometry and never revisited the subject. My brother, who is three years younger than I, leaned by phonics. They sounded out every syllable of every word. In a way, that is recognition by sound rather than sight. As I've gotten older I find myself having to look up some words in the dictionary to verify their spelling. It is true, from my perspective, that many folks are poor spellers and some can't even write a coherent sentence. One wonders how they managed to graduate and function in life. Thank God, I guess, for Spellcheck. You don't have to know how to spell, the computer knows if for you.

DG

My fall back position on poor spelling is a comment Pres. Abraham Lincoln made.
    He wrote his own speeches, and would sometimes misspell a word two or three different ways---- on the same page.

When called out on it, he'd reply-- if you only knew one way to spell a word, you might not be as smart as you think you are.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    I had phonics. Great speller.
    My 6th grade teacher was an ass and should never have gone into teaching. In his class, there was ZERO socializing. No talking. But a lot of yelling from him. One thing that he did was give us lists of words. We had to write them 10 times each. Then write a short definition from the dictionary and then the long definition from the dictionary. Just busy work but it did help me learn to spell better.
    “Coincidence is God’s way of remaining anonymous.”

Boolit Master

I thik thet wold B mee.

I've had a dictionary close to hand since I was about 6yrs old. And I'm still looking up words.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Master

Reading voraciously when I was young helped with my spelling skills.
    Not that I know how to spell everything, but knowing when a word "looks" wrong and check on the correct spelling.

Hope for the best, plan for the worst.
    My amendment can beat up your amendment.

Boolit Grand Master
    If it wasn't for spell check, I don't think even I would know what I'm typing.

Siri is my friend and I still have spelling mistakes.

Slim
    JUST GOTTA LOVE THIS JOINT.

I can be grouped with the ones who can’t spell very good. Auto correct seems to make things worse.
    The sooner I fall behind...the more time I have to catch up with

My parents jumped right on the phonics method ,bought the World Book encyclopedias and their phonics program. Six kids , Dr. of Virology PhD with six patents,Landscape Architect , Firefighter Paramedic, Environmental Wacko, Mother and a successful small business owner. It is by far the fastest most effective method for teaching the most kids to read and write well. Used it on my kids who have done well with technical learning and writing there are programs and apps to teach adults, most won’t recognize or do it.

Boolit Master
    Ah spelling? What’s that? I spel jist fin! Mi kats nam is kity!
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Boolit Master
    English was not my first language, but I learned to recognize the words and learned the correct pronunciation. Anyway, it all worked to make me an excellent speller. In grade school, all I had to do was to look at a word, and I knew how to spell it

Quote Originally Posted by Walks View Post
    I've had a dictionary close to hand since I was about 6yrs old. And I'm still looking up words.
    I've often been frustrated with dictionarys.
    I have a problem looking up a word I can't spell.
    Sometimes I've thought I'd have to look on every single page, and still not be able to find it.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

FAT pencil, Big Chief notebook, Mrs. Love would sharpen everyone’s pencils over the trash can with her pocket knife. Phonics and repetition had most of my class reading and writing and spelling well by the end of first grade.
    Math and I have always had our differences, though.
    I misspell words more often than I used to due to life, I think.

Boolit Master
    English/spelling was my down fall in school. I've a pretty good ability to define words but spell them not so good. Cursive hand writing teacher gave up after 3 weeks hand writing look like an epileptic chicken was let loose on paper.

Banned

Probably the top one thousand worst spellers are members of this forum! Don’t even get started on proper punctuation.

I'm of an age that we learned to spell.

The incoherent misspelled alphabet salad that passes for so much of today's writings makes me very, very sad.

On the other hand, I do offer a Master Class in typos for Android. PM me to sign up.
    (I swipe type on Android. If you haven't tried it, I recommend it highly)

Boolit Master
    I got graded for spelling in math class…. Didn’t do so well there either, add, subtract multiply and devide I’m fine. Numbers, letters and hieroglyphs I’m done.

Spell check is our friend…

Boolit Bub
    What can I say. I came to this country from Greece 47 years ago. I’m a foreign exchange. Hell of a time with spelling. If I didn’t have a spell checker, every time I posted something it will be “All Greek to you”.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast