RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingLee Precision
Inline FabricationRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Worlds worst speller!

Boolit Master
    Spell check is our friend SORT OF. to,too, two effect, affect where, were, ware bore, boar Spelling would be much easier if American/English language was consistent, but all those languages made America. I before E except after C but the there is ...... Gud Pnuph !

The Spiel Checker

I cave a spelling cheekier, that came width my pea sea,
    It clearly marks for my review, any miss steaks I cane nought see,
    I tripe a sword and hit the quay, an right before my eyes
    It sews if I am wrung or rite and never ever lies
    I run this little poem threw it, and I'm shore you pleased to no
    Its letter perfect all the whey, my spiel checker tolled me sew!
    Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy Bohannon View Post
    My parents jumped right on the phonics method ,bought the World Book encyclopedias and their phonics program. Six kids , Dr. of Virology PhD with six patents,Landscape Architect , Firefighter Paramedic, Environmental Wacko, Mother and a successful small business owner. It is by far the fastest most effective method for teaching the most kids to read and write well. Used it on my kids who have done well with technical learning and writing there are programs and apps to teach adults, most won’t recognize or do it.
    My mother sold World Book and I was given a first edition set as a very young lad and still have them as well as the Child Craft set. I also have the World Book dictionary's as well. It is my memory that causes most of my mistakes these days. Regards Stephen

Moderator Emeritus

Don't believe we had even heard of phonics when I was a kid. Was a decent speller and loved reading so that helped. Problem with using the dictionary was if the first letter or two were my issue. Page by page. That is where I learned to write very small . Give me numbers any day, those I can do.

Boolit Master
    Math is my game, spelling not so much. To be honest, sometimes I can’t get it close enough for the phone to suggest something! From being a voracious reader I recognize when it’s not spelled right, but after a few tries either sub a synonym or say heck with it. My daughter and I don’t bother, we can read each other’s misspelled “stuff”, we spell it like it sounds.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Grand Master

Well before Spell Check my wife got me a book - the MissSpeller's Dictionary - It organized misspelled words by their most common misspelling. You look up the way you spelled it, and find out how to spell it right. I still have it.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Half Dog View Post
    I can be grouped with the ones who can’t spell very good. Auto correct seems to make things worse.

Autocorrect is probably why so many have trouble with synonyms (to, two, too; there, their, etc.). It and texting have not benefited literacy. Fortunately I went to a great school for first grade and learned phonics. By the end of the year I could read Reader’s Digest. Wifey asks me how to spell some word almost every day.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tinsnips View Post
    Is anyone besides me the worlds worst speller? I can do any kind of math on this earth but spelling wow. When I was young the system decided phonics was not needed I have been suffering with that decision all my life.
    Highlight is mine. So, if you ARE the worlds worst speller, the answer to your question is ----NO!
    R.D.M.

Plus one on the World Book set, Mr Cohen.
    Reading those books from A to Z as a boy- still helps me occasionally to this day! Like you said, memory is the tricky part these days.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Capt. Marchinko USN, the SEAL Team Six guy, and author would get frustrated at various things, and wish doom on them.

One of his quotes was "Doom! on spell checkers".
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Quote Originally Posted by tinsnips View Post
    Is anyone besides me the worlds worst speller? I can do any kind of math on this earth but spelling wow. When I was young the system decided phonics was not needed I have been suffering with that decision all my life.
    I used to be a great speller, then I got out of school and lost it all, until I got back into spelling on the internet. Now I spell real good with the aid of spellcheck.

Boolit Master
    I can spell to win a spelling bee. We play Scrabble to see who does the dishes. Nobody ever taught me grammar,
    but there's an app for that, to cast Yankee-ese into copy.

Don’t get me started on cursive writing either,my idiot S.I.L says we don’t use a pen and quill anymore either. Not the same what cursive writing does for a young mind as well reading and writing early in life.

Boolit Mold
    Thank you, Miss Ficklin, for teaching me to read using phonics. Back when Eisenhower was president.
    NRA Life Member

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12