Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingWideners
Inline FabricationRepackboxLee PrecisionLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sergeant York Movie

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska

Sergeant York Movie

This has long been one of my favorites. I’m sure many have seen it. Perhaps they would like to watch it again, or some younger members may like to watch it for the first time. It’s available on YouTube now. Enjoy.
    https://youtu.be/3Cw-K0KUMyU

Banned

Excellent movie. Everyone should see it.

Boolit Master
    https://sgtyork.org/

Excellent movie... Dated as it was early on in the history of movie making but nonetheless very worth watcing.
    “Coincidence is God’s way of remaining anonymous.”

Boolit Master
    One of my earliest memories of television was that very movie, it should be mandatory viewing in schools. I have it on DVD and have watched it many times. Regards Stephen.

Thank you, I've added it to my favorites and will watch it later.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    One of my favorites - can watch it time and time again, IMHO - one of the movies all younger people should watch about a generation they will never have the pleasure of knowing - very few young people could even tell you about World War I and the "Lost Generation".

Boolit Buddy

Some years after York came home from the war he used money he had to rebuild his church. The church scenes in the movie were filmed in the actual church. I’ve wondered if the extras in the church scenes were actual residents of the area. A visit to his home and his birthplace is worthwhile. Thoroughly enjoyable. I was there 2 years ago.

Boolit Master

First time I saw that, I was a young man. Thought it was a wonderful story about a great American hero. Gary Cooper gave a fantastic performance IMHO. Young American, who answers the call, not necessarily in agreement with it all, but sucks it up and does what has to be done. God, Country, Family.
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Cohen View Post
    One of my earliest memories of television was that very movie, it should be mandatory viewing in schools. I have it on DVD and have watched it many times. Regards Stephen.
    I teach JROTC, the NCO I had who taught first year kids used quite a bit of this movie in a class about dealing with moral dilemmas showing York's conflicting values between his religious beliefs and duty to his country and unit.

It's a great movie, no question. I did not realize that church was the actual one. I'll have to make a road trip to see his birthplace at some point.

I first saw this move as a rerun in a B grade movie theater. I was impressed them and continue to be impressed over the years as I have watched it again.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

I heard Hollywood gave him a Luger, because they couldn't figure out how to make the 1911 run with blanks.

In reality, he used a 1911 to turkey shoot the six Germans, back to front.

NRA LIFE Member

USPSA/IPSC

And there's always been a controversy about whether he used a M1903 Springfield or a 1917 Enfield. Good movie.

DG

Boolit Master
    I read many years ago that his rifle was stolen when he was on the ship coming home. I also read that he carried an 1917 Enfield. It is a great movie.
    Last edited by GOPHER SLAYER; 07-25-2021 at 06:31 PM.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Boolit Grand Master
    Great movies.
    I hope they NEVER try to remake it.

Boolit Master

Should be mandatory viewing for our Political Class. Of course much of the Morality and Morals displayed in the movie would be lost on our Political Class. I watch it again every time it shows up on a "re-Run" circuit.
    Last edited by MUSTANG; 07-25-2021 at 05:08 PM.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Master

I really like Walter Brennan as Pastor Pile
    Being human is not for sissies.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Der Gebirgsjager View Post
    And there's always been a controversy about whether he used a M1903 Springfield or a 1917 Enfield. Good movie.

DG
    It's been long established that he used a 1917 Enfield. More of our troops were armed with them than with 1903s, and IMO, the 1917 was a better battle rifle.

I also read where the 1911s are problematic with blanks. I watch the old series, Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea pretty regularly and whenever they break out sidearms, they are using Stars rather than 1911s for that reason.

I don't mean to break in on this but just wanted to relate on something I was shocked to observe, recently. I had a couple of packs of .45 aluminum shotshells, for years. I assumed they would be one at a time in firing. My Colt even has a heavier spring but cycled the gun and even sounded like a regular round with recoil.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I had also wondered about the 1903, because I had always heard most US soldiers used Enfields. It’s good to have the facts straight now. He used an Enfield.

Boolit Master
    I've a copy, seen it several times. One of the best IMHO.

I worked at an LGS years back and the owner told me when he was in a Catholic boy's school that the entire class watched it at school.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast