Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2WidenersSnyders Jerky
Repackbox Load Data

Thread: Boolit for .25-35 Winchester Mdl 94

Boolit Master

Boolit for .25-35 Winchester Mdl 94

I reload .25-35 for a friend who has not yet been able to set up a reloading area. Projectiles being non-available, I told him I'd cast boolits for him if he would provide the mould and sizing die for my Star sizer/lubricator.

It seems that moulds, also, are scarce. I found two at NOE, although neither is in stock. (I sent a query about when either might be available.) They're the same except one uses a gas check and the other is a plain base.

https://noebulletmolds.com/site/prod...60-118-rn-aj2/

260-118-RN-AJ2 2 Cavity GC

260-118-RN-AJ2 2 Cavity PB

Are there any recommendations for either version?

And if GC has a clear advantage, would the gas check be seated properly in the nose-down die for my Star? (I would ask lathesmith to make the die; he did a fine job on the .461" die he made for my .45-70 boolits.)

Thank you,
    Richard
    Isn't a 9mm just a .45 set on stun? -- Amy W.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred."
    -- Niccolo Machiavelli

USPSA A32025
    NRA Life

If your planing on hunting with this bullet, it absolutely needs to be a flat nose.. I also would recommend a gas check style.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dom View Post
    If your planing on hunting with this bullet, it absolutely needs to be a flat nose.. I also would recommend a gas check style.
    My friend would hunt. I thought a round-nose bullet also was okay for a tube magazine. If not, then I would be looking at something more like this NOE mould:

https://noebulletmolds.com/site/prod...60-115-fn-aj1/

Thank you,
    Richard
    Last edited by RG1911; 01-28-2022 at 06:40 PM. Reason: Added info

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred."
    -- Niccolo Machiavelli

USPSA A32025
    NRA Life

That for sure is more appropriate. Because of the small cal size you are limited to bullet weight. I have always found with cast bullets, larger dia & heavy for cal weight to be advantageous for hunting.

Boolit Master
    If you load RN bullets in a tube it is not maybe it is you will have one or more go off in the mag tube. You only want to load the mag tube with FP bullets bigger than the primer dianator. You can put any shape in the chamber for the first round but all in the mag tube must be FP.

Moderator / Master Tool & Die Maker

Quote Originally Posted by warren5421 View Post
    If you load RN bullets in a tube it is not maybe it is you will have one or more go off in the mag tube. You only want to load the mag tube with FP bullets bigger than the primer dianator. You can put any shape in the chamber for the first round but all in the mag tube must be FP.
    Please show us where you got this information from.
    "I Make the part.............................that makes the parts"

Looking for Bullet Mould Handles, Heavy Duty Replacement Sprue Plates, Adjustable Paper Patch Bullet Moulds? Check here:http://www.kal.castpics.net/

My Feedback!

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Red-River-Rick

Boolit Grand Master

In a hunting boolit I would go with a gas check ... it makes your reloading life a lot easier.
    Model 94 requires a flat point .

If you go to the NOE Forum and join up you can then start a Inventory Run .
    On the home page first heading up is General , next is Group Buys , scroll down to Ranch Dog Moulds and then down to Air Rifle Moulds , next you come to Inventory Runs , read the rules for Inventory Buys and next go down to What You Would Like To See Ran ... here is where you place what you want ran ... as soon as 5 others sign on ...the moulds will be made and sent out . It doesn't take long since it's not a special order ... getting 5 others to sign on went fast . I've used this feature a couple times and it's painless and doesn't take that long .
    I wanted a 124 gr. TC 9mm Luger boolit with a gas check ... in a few days 5 others had signed on ...
    and I thought no one but me wanted a 9mm boolit with a gas check !!!
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    In a hunting boolit I would go with a gas check ... it makes your reloading life a lot easier.
    Model 94 requires a flat point .

If you go to the NOE Forum and join up you can then start a Inventory Run .
    On the home page first heading up is General , next is Group Buys , scroll down to Ranch Dog Moulds and then down to Air Rifle Moulds , next you come to Inventory Runs , read the rules for Inventory Buys and next go down to What You Would Like To See Ran ... here is where you place what you want ran ... as soon as 5 others sign on ...the moulds will be made and sent out . It doesn't take long since it's not a special order ... getting 5 others to sign on went fast . I've used this feature a couple times and it's painless and doesn't take that long .
    I wanted a 124 gr. TC 9mm Luger boolit with a gas check ... in a few days 5 others had signed on ...
    and I thought no one but me wanted a 9mm boolit with a gas check !!!
    Gary
    Gary,

Thank you. I shall do that.

Cheers, Richard

-- Niccolo Machiavelli

USPSA A32025
    NRA Life

Boolit Master
    Okay, after chatting with my friend, it looks like I'll go with a flat point, gas checked bullet.

Does anyone have experience using gas checks with a Star sizer/lubricator and the nose-down sizing die?

Cheers,
    Richard

-- Niccolo Machiavelli

USPSA A32025
    NRA Life

Boolit Master
    I to have a 25-35 model 1905 94 w/long barrel. Wall Hanger. Although years ago I happen to come upon 3 bx of 117 Rd Nose Hornady in a rural fishing & gun shop. I bought all three boxes. My opinion: If I were to buy boolit molds all would be G/C'ed. Reason being who said a G/c molds cast cannot be used as a plain base? So long as the lead BHN isn't below 10. I believe the reloader would have success wo/ barrel leading at 25-35 speeds. Then too I've read some reloaders have indeed G/c'ed plain based boolits for >there purpose. As far as bullet profile. RN or Flat points are most appropriate with tube fed lever guns.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by RG1911 View Post
    Gary,

Thank you. I shall do that.

Cheers, Richard
    The mold you are looking for shows "in stock" (6 in stock for a 2 cavity GC in Aluminum) at NOE. If thats the case you don't need to get an inventory run going. Just go to the web site and punch a few buttons and order one. I have this mold. Nose down with a gas check in a star lube sizer works fine. Just get a flat punch to go with your size die.
    Last edited by square butte; 01-31-2022 at 06:46 PM.
    Being human is not for sissies.