RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLee Precision
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLoad Data
Inline Fabrication

Thread: Standard Mfg. SAA

Boolit Mold

Standard Mfg. SAA

Recently got a Standard Mfg. SAA in 44-40 . Shot left of POA . Sent it back to Standard , problem solved .
    Throats where even but same diameter as barrel . Wanted them open by .001 . Someone here or on the Ruger forum recommended DougGuy .
    Email to him was answered fast . Doug stated he could do the job . After some email discussion he opened the throats .001 and removed the hard as glass carbon build up in 5 of the cylinders (one was clean) . Revolver went from shooting 4" groups to 1+" groups after DougGuys work .
    Great person to work with and fast accurate work at a fair price .
    If you are thinking of cylinder work don't hesitate to use his services .
    I know that this is common knowledge for many of you but for the new people or someone on the fence , You can trust him with your work
    Thanks , Steve

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    We have one of those Standard Mfg. Thunderstruck double barrel .22 magnum revolvers under the glass at my side job shop. Definitely not something I would buy, but the quality seems quite good for the price.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master
    Pulaski, let’s hear a little more about your Standard Manufacturing SA. Recent order? Bought from a store or ordered? Why you chose 44-40? Worth it?

I’ve seen 4 in stores and they’re beautiful. All were in 45 Colt. I’d prefer 44-40 for 2 reasons. First is 44-40 costs less lead per shot. Second is 44-40 cases eject so nice bc of being tapered.
    "Time and money don't do you a bit of good until you spend them." - My Dad

Vendor Sponsor

That is one verrrrry finely made pistol sir! Their site doesn't list or show models in other calibers besides 45 Colt, but they definitely make a 44-40. My question was wondering what pressure level they might be rated at. I found this in their FAQs:

28. Can I use +P ammunition with this gun? Yes.

Since there officially isn't a +P rating for 45 Colt, there are no SAAMI specs for this power level in 45 Colt, I have to wonder how they came up with it being okay with +P loads. I am going to ASSUME that they are planning to make some models in 45 ACP that will be rated to 23,000psi which is 45 ACP+P. Since the cylinder wall thickness is the same as 45 Colt, then it should also be rated to 23,000psi in 45 Colt loadings.

This would make the gun much more than just a CAS choice, Brian Pearce's tier two loads would put it firmly in the hunting handgun possibilities for any of the thin skinned game.

They do say that their frame window is slightly larger than Colt SAA to allow for larger diameter cylinders with thicker cylinder walls. They also say that they will be selling cylinders and screw sets for Colt SAA.

They make a flat out beautiful 1911A1 at a very attractive price, also machined from 4140 steel forgings. Enhanced slide to frame fit, 4.5lb trigger, blued, nickeled, color case finish, engraved models available.
    Last edited by DougGuy; 07-25-2021 at 08:44 AM.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Doug Guy is the man. He’s done several guns for me, always top notch work. I recommend him highly.
    "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    I have never run across one. Anyone have some photos they could post? Thnx.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by bedbugbilly View Post
    I have never run across one. Anyone have some photos they could post? Thnx.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pix880482047.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	55.3 KB 
ID:	286647Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pix628612832.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	45.7 KB 
ID:	286644Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pix003194415.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	42.7 KB 
ID:	286645Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pix144318794.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	31.9 KB 
ID:	286646Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Standard SAA Nickeled Engraved.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	29.0 KB 
ID:	286648Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Standard SAA Blue CC Engraved.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	21.6 KB 
ID:	286649
    Last edited by DougGuy; 07-25-2021 at 10:02 AM.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Thank you for taking the time to post the photos Doug - greatly appreciate it.

You have worked on some of these - your thoughts on them? Are these made by Standard Mfg. or a "re-brand" of another maker? I took a look at their site and they certainly have a couple of them all dolled up and ready to go to the dance - engraving, etc. Look like nice revolvers!

Thanks again!

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by bedbugbilly View Post
    Thank you for taking the time to post the photos Doug - greatly appreciate it.

You have worked on some of these - your thoughts on them? Are these made by Standard Mfg. or a "re-brand" of another maker? I took a look at their site and they certainly have a couple of them all dolled up and ready to go to the dance - engraving, etc. Look like nice revolvers!

Thanks again!
    They are made in house, not rebadged made elsewhere.

IMHO, Colt has *never* equaled the quality of these modern CNC made guns, not even in the best times of their first generation production. Colt's fit and finish is legendary, and no one can take anything away from that, but they were not CNC machined from forgings of chrome moly steel. So, not any ill reflection on Colt by any means, as they had the best metals and tooling that was in use at the time, let alone the high caliber employees that made Colt's reputation what it was and what it grew to be.

The accuracy and capability of modern CNC machinery is just STUPIDLY good. You take the very best that Colt had to offer in it's heyday, and you combine that with the utmost pinnacle of metallurgical excellence and machining processes, and you turn out a true to tradition 6 shooter like the Standard, with an $1895.00 price tag? In 2021 dollars? We have here QUITE the bargain methinks...

Boolit Mold
    Hello ,
    Sorry it took so long for the response but was on vacation and no phone or computer .
    . Shootin bought this a while back # 123X , ordered it in 44-40 with a 5 " bbl , always liked what the 44-40 could do (have many 45 colt)
    I called the factory and asked if they would make me a 44-40 and the said yes . took 2 weeks to get . I've got a colt next to it in the gun room and the Standard Mfg. is better . (IMO)
    When I got it , it shot a little left so I did the called them and they said send it back . Problem solved .
    Dougguy was kind enough to resolve some minor cylinder problems (he can elaborate) . It now shoots POA at 25yds. and I can get 1-2" groups .
    Really like this revolver.
    Thanks , Steve

Boolit Master
    Pulaski, nice. Vacation without phone or computer….good on you!
    I notice the bottom of the stocks are very flat. Not much angle like the standard Colt stocks.
    Does that do anything for you?
    "Time and money don't do you a bit of good until you spend them." - My Dad

Boolit Mold
    shooting , I have big hands and the Standard is slightly larger at the bottom and yes it is a little flatter than the Colt .
    I like it because of my hand size , it seems to afford me a better grip .
    After DougGuy finished his work this thing really shoots .
    Thanks , Steve

Boolit Mold
    I own a Std Mfg SAA in 45 Colt and the 1911 and they are both excellent builds of classic designs. I haven't broght myself to shoot the SAA yet, but the 1911 is one of the most accurate 1911's I have owned.

I have also sent a few cylinders to DougGuy to have them opened up and I agree that the accuracy on every revolver has noticeably improved. Doug gives quality service at a reasonable price and his turnaround times are terrific - usually a couple of days, in my experience. My thought is why have a revolver that looks nice if it isn't accurate?

Name:	Std 1911 w-Stag.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	53.2 KB 
ID:	287106Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Std Mfg SAA.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	72.8 KB 
ID:	287107

Boolit Mold
    Any idea how many Standard SA's have been made. I have what I believe is the first one to leave the factory.

Boolit Buddy
    Looks like USFA reborn. Am I off base?

Boolit Buddy
    They made me a nice BBQ revolver.

Name:	005.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	31.7 KB 
ID:	309107Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Standard 44wcf b.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	91.5 KB 
ID:	309108Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Standard 44wcf c.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	61.6 KB 
ID:	309109Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Standard 44wcf d.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	39.9 KB 
ID:	309110

Boolit Master
    .44-40...well that is very interesting...

Was at SM a few months ago and in talking to one of the reps there I asked if any other calibers were going to be available...he said they were so backed up with just trying to keep up with .45 Colts order it was doubtful... Same thing about other models...like the Flat Top Target...no.

SM bought most of the machinery from USFA when they went under in 2017...SM is only about 15 miles from where USFA was in Hartford...

Bob