Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
RepackboxReloading EverythingLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Wideners
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Copying a Spanish Destroyer Bolt

Boolit Master

Project back on track!
    Sarco has Destroyer Carbines in stock again!
    I hope that I can find the drawings and the parts that I was working on!
    Updates to follow!
    The weather is getting cooler so I will be able to spend time in the shop again!

Boolit Master

I found the parts, tools and drawings!
    I ordered a couple of boltless rifles and a barreled receiver and they came in yesterday!
    My bolt fits all of the ones that I ordered so I can use the dimensions of my bolt!

Boolit Master
    I would not mind a spare extractor to fit to my modified to 45 ACP project. I would assume your fabricating them also?

Boolit Master

I finally finished the drawings today and the extractor was the second to last.
    I am waiting on some tooling to make a couple of parts that need a radius.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Gtek View Post
    I would not mind a spare extractor to fit to my modified to 45 ACP project. I would assume your fabricating them also?
    The extractor will be the last part that I make. Depending on the difficulty I would consider selling one.
    It will most probably need final fitting.
    Tedious little part!

Boolit Master
    Yep I would imagine looking at it and required steps, difficult and tedious I know well!. I have one in process to a 45 ACP and I modified bolt face and extractor to fit. One of the things left is to true front and rear bridge for the scope mounts. I drilled and mounted a set of Weavers and found they are "a little off" height wise, centered and squared yes, level and correct plane no. Thinking I am just going to shim and JB for plane using jig I made years ago for two base mounting. Made a pass across receiver face and was found really close but not enough machine here to pull off radius cuts.

Boolit Master

A Mauser 45ACP conversion from Rhineland Arms was not too much trouble.
    I made it like the picture on the website that looks like a Tanker Mauser!

Boolit Master

I worked on a mandrel to make the firing pin spring today and got the size figured out!
    I ordered some drill rod of the right size and also some material to make the firing pin.
    The bolt nose is taking a lot of time because of the radius for the safety.
    It appears that it was made from a casting and I can’t cast steel or iron!
    There is a steel foundry and a aluminum and brass foundry close by!
    I have done aluminum and it was easy but takes a lot of time!

Boolit Buddy
    My thought having worked on these is that it would be easier to make up a cutter and reduce the rim dimensions on a bunch of 45ACP brass to 9MM base profile than to make up a working 45ACP bolt face .

Boolit Master
    Good point, but mine lives with a bunch of 45's.

Boolit Master

Finally making some progress on the bolt nose!
    I figured out that it was made from a casting and some of the angles are not possible with the equipment that I have. Specifically 90 degree corners.
    I need to get the dimensions between the center of the safety pivot and the center of the firing pin so the safety will work.
    This is a scaled down version of a small ring Mauser and if you are familiar with the safety you can visualize how this works.

Boolit Master

Making progress! I have figured out the two parts needed to make the bolt nose and have made a few sets of parts.
    I am waiting on some end mill to make the recess where they will be soldered together.
    Reverse engineering is a beitch!

Boolit Mold
    I have been watching the threads on finding extractors and collers for one of my 7 Destroyers for nearly 15 years now. I was told that the coller from a CZ ?? in 223 will fit but that leaves me with a broken extractor in three parts. I have some really beautiful Destroyers in my collections and am careful when I shoot them. I have PLENTY of 9mm Largo ammo I got in 1000 rd cases years ago from sarco when it was CHEAP. Maybe 4k + rounds. They are a blast to shoot at 80 yards or so. and even out to 150 for just fun. Please let me know when there are some available My son is a gunsmith and has his own shop but says he has no time to even attempt to make the bolt parts unless he made at least 200.

Boolit Master
    In old school die sinking ,you milled the corners round,and then got out the files,rifflers ,gravers ,chisels and scrapers.

Boolit Master

Cold weather has stalled progress! Lack of energy is not helping either! Working part time takes up shop time too!

Boolit Mold
    Does anyone have prints or Cad for making a Spanish Destroyer bolt?
    Thanks,
    theindianabriklayer

Boolit Master

I have rough shop drawings that I made from the measurements I made from the bolt from the complete rifle that I bought for that purpose.
    The Home Shop Machinist has some drawings posted in the gunsmithing section.

Boolit Master
    This has little to do with what you are doing , but would be one way to get an idea on what you need to design.
    A friend brought me a Arisaka carbine that was missing the bolt.
    It is going to be used for display in a VFW , so it can't be functional weapon.
    So to make the rifle look better , I made a Dummy Bolt out of Wood then painted it.
    I tried to make it so it is semi functional so they can choose what position they want to display it.
    When doing that fake bolt , I thought of this thread.
    It gave me an easy way of making a pattern and find the measurements that I needed.
    Because if you shape something wrong , I could just build up the area with epoxy then reshape it to fit.
    Good luck on making your bolt.
    Being non operational , I did not have to do things like the internal parts.
    But it came out looking good enough for non functional display .
    I built it from scratch and did not have a bolt to copy.
    I just modeled it from pictures I found on the net.

Boolit Master

We had some spring like weather yesterday so even though I really didn’t feel like it I went in to the shop to work on the bolt nose.
    Things were going well until a 1/8” drill bit broke off while drilling a pilot hole for the place where the firing pin goes through.
    I was able to unscrew a 3/8” center drill about 3” lon to come from the back side and use a 1/4”
    Carbide drill to make the hole from the back side.
    I got the pocket for the part that will hold the safety done but it was precarious because I was using a 3” ball nosed.302” diameter end mill.
    I was only taking.020” cuts and just had to go .080” deep but it sure looked like the bit was flexing.
    The other cuts went smoothly and I think I only have one more simple cut to make and I will be at the points of soldering the 2 parts together.
    The rest of the parts are pretty straightforward except the bolt itself.
    The fitting the lugs and putting the other details in the right relationship will need a lot of concentration with no interruption!
    I am going to have to make a jig to hold the bolt while removing the metal between the lugs. I bought a corner radius cutter that should work and leave a nice finish.

Boolit Master
    I make most of my jigs to hold parts out of wood.
    Then I Glass bed the part into the blocks to make a perfect non marring surface.
    5 minute epoxy works good enough.
    But if you are going to have to use that jig several times , I use glass bedding compound which is much stronger than that 5 min.Epoxy.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast