RepackboxLee PrecisionInline FabricationWideners
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Copying a Spanish Destroyer Bolt

Boolit Master

Copying a Spanish Destroyer Bolt

Planning to copy the bolt from the Destroyer I recently bought so I can convert one of the ones that SARCO is selling.
    I don’t want to alter the complete rifle that I have now.
    It looks like it will be easier to make it a 2 piece bolt, handle and body silver soldered together.
    Any thoughts?

If the joint isn't subject to the stress & strain from recoil, it shouldn't be much different than changing a bolt handle on anything else.

If the joint won't lend itself to being on the far side of a recoil lug, I'd figure something else out.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    ive never seen a destroyer, are they based on a Mauser? Could a Mauser bolt be modified to work?

Boolit Buddy
    No, a 98,96,95 nor 93 bolt will work. Even the DSM 34's and the like are also different. I think Deltaenterprizes will need to make one. I applaud his ambition. It doesn't look like an easy task. I have 2 Spanish destroyers. One I put a sporter stock and scope on, the other is original. They are pretty darn cute and fun!

Boolit Master

I ran into an interesting thread that holds the shroud onto the bolt!
    It is 10mmx0.9 tapered thread!
    Not very common but a tap and die are $140 each!
    I think I will go with a 10mmx 1 thread, the die and die 2 taps was $10!
    It won’t be like the original but it will still work!

Boolit Master
    A while back the cast handle portion of FN Mauser bolts were for sale for around $15 -$20 on various sites......Even a quality gun like an FN is made of three pieces ,vacuum copper brazed together .....the Winchester M70 s are also made like this.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by john.k View Post
    A while back the cast handle portion of FN Mauser bolts were for sale for around $15 -$20 on various sites......Even a quality gun like an FN is made of three pieces ,vacuum copper brazed together .....the Winchester M70 s are also made like this.
    Thanks! Interesting!
    It makes it a lot easier to machine and the material cost will be reduced!

Boolit Buddy
    What about a bolt from a 223 marlin xl7, it's a pinned on bolt head ?

kurt

Boolit Master

This bolt is 9/16 in diameter and about 4 inches long!

Boolit Master

I have a dimensioned drawing of the bolt handle finished and next week we are supposed to be getting some cooler weather!
    I plan to start work on the handle on Monday !
    Last edited by deltaenterprizes; 07-31-2021 at 09:28 AM.

Boolit Master

Doing drawings of the shaft of the bolt from 4 views. There are a lot of intricacies on this bolt so I am doing 4 views, top, right side, left side and bottom.
    Next will be the bolt shroud and firing pin and extractor and extractor collar!
    Very time consuming but necessary to get the pright!

Boolit Master

I have the drawings finished for the bolt handle and finished one!
    I made a mistake on the first one and I will use it to test bending it before doing a good one.
    I have a couple more views of the bolt shaft to draw before I start work on it.
    Getting the different parts timed right is really going to be a challenge.
    I will most probably have to make fixtures to hold the shaft so there is no movement while doing different operations.

Super Moderator

..............I had a 45 ACP barrel blank that was 1.25" x 16" chambered to 45 ACP, then threaded for the Destroyer action. It was fun, but not truly suitable as a repeater (Used a 1911 magazine in the modified bottom metal). I called it "The Big Burp". Feeding issue was it's downfall. As a single shot it was loads of fun. I got some fairly startling ballistics out of it.

Some loads were fairly intrepid. Naw, make that 'Dumb' instead. Steel WW2 EC cases worked great. Had quite a few brass cases head stamped 'CCC'. The 'Floor' of the case was straight across the bottom and met the case walls at a sharp angle instead of the common rounded radius from floor to wall. During a reloading session I happened to see the inside of the case and there was a dark line around the interior circumference. Pressure was causing the case wall to seperate from the base creating the crack. The bolt for the Destroyer puts one in mind of a bolt for a 22RF. Other then those 2 locking lugs, that's about what it was

...............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

What steel are you planning on using?

Boolit Master

I have some 4140 I am using!
    It is only a low pressure pistol cartridge.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by deltaenterprizes View Post
    I have some 4140 I am using!
    It is only a low pressure pistol cartridge.
    one could do wonders looking at MODERN actions to use. Its not that hard to um, whats the saying, make any low pressure pistol powder blow ones hand off.

4140 should be great. Its a great rifle barrel steel so should be just fine for a pistol cartridge bolt and I think is oil hardening.

Boolit Master

Project suspended! Sarco only has barreled actions! No more complete rifles with cracked stocks!��

Boolit Mold
    New here but recently bought 4 Destroyers off an estate. One needs a bolt if anyone has ideas, thanks!

Hi Crazyhair53, welcome to the Castboolits Forum.

So 3 of the 4 have bolts? That's a good start. Are all 4 rifles the same? The Spanish produced at least 3 versions of the Destroyer, and maybe more. That complicates finding a bolt, but it's not impossible once you have the exact bolt you need identified and can specify what you're looking for. Making a bolt is not impossible, but requires a certain amount of tooling and machining experience. The last lead in finding the part was SARCO, but apparently their supply of parts is sold out.

There are, however, many other sources for parts such as the Numrich Gun Parts Corp., The Jack First Co., and more. Finding a part often involves patience and persistence in repeated visits to these sources. They make their livings by selling parts, and are therefore constantly buying parts and firearms to strip for parts and offering them for sale, but the turnover is sometimes rapid and the inventory changes constantly, so you need to keep checking back. Internet searches can also yield results, as can advertising for a needed part. Good luck in your quest for a bolt, as without one the rifle itself is just parts.
    Hmmm....an idea there?

DG

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast