Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Load DataTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionRepackbox
Wideners Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My shooting range is gone, baby gone.

My shooting range is gone, baby gone.

Elon Musk is building his Mars launch facility down here at Boca Chica Beach. His has bought up the available land there and has plans for a new town down there called Star City. Mid-price houses in my community have doubled in price due to the expected new population growth.

Our range is about seven miles from Boca Chica Beach had up against the Rio Grande River. Musk bought the 25 acer property for a staggering sum from my friend the owned. He plans to build homes and condos there. I have had a very good 13 years shooting with my friends down there, but I am glad to see my friend Larry make a killing on it and be set for life.

Elon Musk is really screwing with my world. There will be more change than I can imagine and many folks will get rich in the process. This sleepy border town "on the Border by the Sea" will never be the same. This will also present new opportunities to do business by the Cartel vultures.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Master

Wow bummers. The one place where we could reach out shooting over 100 yards. Is no longer accessible by vehicle. Because of dumping. The coal mine put large piles of dirt and rocks up. Where the trails would start. Hope you find another place to shoot.
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

Boolit Bub
    And people thought that Total Recall was just a movie and not a glimpse of the future. Elon Musk will end up owning all of space the rights to put satellites in orbit and the rights to go to other planets and mine meteors eventually, to the suffering on man kind.

Boolit Buddy
    Elon is going to go to Mars where he can rule unopposed. The sci-fi future of wars between corporations is probably going to happen this century.

Sorry for the loss of your range. Time to find a new place to go.

Boolit Grand Master
    When I retired and looked for property it was imperative that I have enough land to build a range and be located where I never need to worry about neighbors complaining about the noise.

Sorry you have been impacted by “progress”, and hope you can find another place to shoot.
    Don Verna

I can shoot 50 yards on my little range and can go out to 75 pretty easy, at 100 I'm shooting way downhill. But I don't have to worry about neighbors...and its free

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Vendor Sponsor

Well, that just sucks! I spent all of the 70s in Texas, several different locations along the coast, I left right before the oil went boom in the early 1980s. Always missed south Texas. CC was great.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Cowhide View Post
    And people thought that Total Recall was just a movie and not a glimpse of the future. Elon Musk will end up owning all of space the rights to put satellites in orbit and the rights to go to other planets and mine meteors eventually, to the suffering on man kind.
    Elon Musk will have been room temperature for decades before anyone even thinks of mining rights in space.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Master
    Bummer indeed.
    I applied for a job with SpaceX there in Boca Chica. It is rare in life that I want anything, but I wanted nothing in life as bad as I did that opportunity. I don't like Elon Musk, but the man has vision and it is a vision hat I wanted to help him attain.
    Sorry that you lost your range.
    “Coincidence is God’s way of remaining anonymous.”

Banned

Perhaps you could get a job at the Tesla plant!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by smithnframe View Post
    Perhaps you could get a job at the Tesla plant!
    I only had interest in being part of the Starship project. I could easily get in to any of the other Musk ventures with my automation background but there is zero interest there. Starship was one that caught my attention and as I stated, this was one thing in life that I really wanted.
    “Coincidence is God’s way of remaining anonymous.”

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by imashooter2 View Post
    Elon Musk will have been room temperature for decades before anyone even thinks of mining rights in space.
    At $10,000 per pound to put anything in earth orbit, mining is at the top of everyone's list Right Now.

"Made in Space"
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Grand Master

OK, you win. They may think about it, but Elon will still be a distant memory before anyone launches the first mine. Hell, it will be decades before there are any long term colonies.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Master

our range will be shutting done within the year. land was sold (club could not afford to buy) and new owner has raised rent 5 times over what it was, we need 70 members just to clear costs and only 60 renewed this year so its an unsustainable situation. luckily I got my personal range, I was just a member so I could mine the berms.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Quote Originally Posted by imashooter2 View Post
    OK, you win. They may think about it, but Elon will still be a distant memory before anyone launches the first mine. Hell, it will be decades before there are any long term colonies.
    There is an international Space Treaty signed in 1967 that says the various planets, objects and resources belong to everybody. The stuff that is put there belongs to whoever put it there. It has never been litigated, but I suspect it will hold.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Buddy
    As far as mining planets , it’s gonna happen …. Look at his company called Boring , and what they are currently doing … life on Mars is going to be subterranean….

Boolit Master
    Close to da Creaux,Hang'n out in Swamp's and Bayou's
    I hope he only finds lead on Mars?

Reminds me Clint Eastwood in "Paint Your Wagon", and what he said about No Name City.

The miners got a town all built and fixed up just the way they liked it, then civilization moved in and ruined it.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

Sorry for you and the others how this turned out for you and others. It is sad, but quite common. The old saw, money talks, **** walks. Happens too often this day and age. We, the gun owners, are being squeezed, by the government and private sector. Not a conspiracy, just politics and private sector.
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

Boolit Grand Master
    We have only one public range on the island.
    Others are military.
    State, city, and the cops, have been trying to close it to the public for years.
    They make up all kinds of BS to slowly take away from us.
    Latest was the chinese virus excuse to close it.
    When it opened again, they restricted access, in the name of safety.
    I'm sure they will force it to close to the public sometime in the future.
    Kind of hoped I wouldn't be around to see it happen.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast