RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingWidenersLoad Data
Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 03A3 Fun

Boolit Buddy

03A3 Fun

My 03A3 is back in military wood and I spent a little time with it yesterday re-zeroing with CB loads. I can't think of many more enjoyable ways to spend part of a day than with some version of the Springfield!
    In fact, as I stated to a friend a few days ago, I believe every .30-06 made since 1906 has been playing catch-up!

Any photos? What loads are you shooting?

DG

Pics please.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Tell us about it....Remington, S-C, four or two groove barrel.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

what boolit and powder is it taking a liking to?

Boolit Buddy
    Maybe a disappointment to purists but my rifle is a parts gun built on a reclaimed drill rifle receiver ( not sure of make) with a new 8/43 Remington 4 groove barrel properly fitted and headspaced. The metal parts are all government issue. The stock is unused military.
    Because the rifle is what it is and because I can no longer shoot without significant magnification the receiver is d&t'd and wears a scope on a Redfield mount. The bolt handle was replaced with a scope-friendly type. I will have to add an elastic or lace-on leather comb raiser for the military stock/scope setup.
    For the record, I would not do this to an original as-issued rifle but it is all 03A3 and I get to enjoy it. BTW, that new barrel remains untainted from copper.

To date my best accuracy (from molds/bullets I have) has come with 311290 sized .311 and IMR 4895 (just over moa @100yds).
    The 311291/2400 combo has done well at lower velocity. 311467 show promise as does an NEI 308-190 short-body borrower. I recently got the NOE 310-165-fn but have not loaded it in the 06 case as yet.
    Last edited by DonHowe; 07-25-2021 at 03:39 PM.

That's an interesting description, Don. Whatever works for you, and meets with your approval. Sounds like an attempt to be as authentic as possible, but aided by a scope. Most folks that decided to use a scope would go the sporterized route, and it's interesting that you tried to stick with the original configuration as much as possible. Really not much different than those who add scout-type scopes to their militaries by removing the rear sight and replacing it with a scope mount, except for the new holes in the receiver. I would say if it rings your chimes it's good.

DG

Boolit Master
    Don,

I got my first 03-A3 in 1961 for $25. She is a mint arm and in the back of my vault, so I have yet to work up cast boolit loads. My health issues keep putting me off. Someday......

Adam

Boolit Buddy
    Mine LOVES NOE 311 194 SP K4, PC, GC and sized to .311 over 34 GR of AA2460 or 32 GR of Shooter's World Buffalo Classic. Same loads shoot lights out in the M1 Garand, as well.

Boolit Grand Master

In our Springfields we shoot alot of the RCBS 180 FNGC (WW water dropped) then PC'd (shake and bake) with enough 4895 speed powders to get it to 1850-2150 fps 2 groove shoots as good as any other.
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Gebirgsjager View Post
    That's an interesting description, Don. Whatever works for you, and meets with your approval. Sounds like an attempt to be as authentic as possible, but aided by a scope. Most folks that decided to use a scope would go the sporterized route, and it's interesting that you tried to stick with the original configuration as much as possible. Really not much different than those who add scout-type scopes to their militaries by removing the rear sight and replacing it with a scope mount, except for the new holes in the receiver. I would say if it rings your chimes it's good.

DG
    15+ years ago I had acquire a small collection of shooter grade WWII bolt action military rifles. I left collector grade stuff to collectors. My intention was to shoot em as I found em except for thorough bore cleaning. And I did love shooting them. I have long wanted a Springfield. But was unwilling to part with the price when I could buy the other rifles for less than $150 each. Then I found the drill rifle receiver and saw a way to have a representative piece for a good bit less if I was lucky.
    Before I acquired all the parts for an 03A3 I lost my right eye in an accident. My remaining eye is really bad but I found that with enough magnification I could continue to shoot IF I could learn to shoot lefthanded. I did and have had 15 more years of shooting enjoyment. But this meant if I was to shoot an 03A3 it would have to be scoped. Since my receiver was a de-mil I would not be spooling an intact original rifle.
    So I built my "quasi-03A4".

BTW, shooting lefthanded with a bad eye, of the numerous scope-sight matches I have shot since losing my good eye I never once finished last.

That's an interesting story, Don. Sad to hear about your accident. Our eyesight is just about the most precious thing we've got. The important thing is that you're still shooting and still enjoying it.

I've also got a couple of off beat, odd ball '03s (not A3s) which are in the category of "Low Number Springfields". I acquired them from Federal Ordnance Co. back around 1980. The receivers are badly pitted below the wood line, but were refinished and look presentable when in the stocks. All the other parts were brand new G.I. surplus, except the stocks which were refinished. They were also probably pretty bad before Fed Ord reworked them, but now look O.K. I've shot them with .30-30 Win. load levels and cast boolits and they shoot surprisingly well. I've also got a CMP '03 that was apparently a Greek return, RIA, great rifle, and a Smith Corona '03-A3 "as-issued". Great rifles, all. Also, back there somewhere, are one each '03 and '03-A3 sporters. Great hunting rifles back in my prime, but too heavy now days!

DG

Banned
    You are missing 1 eye and the off-side eye is bad ----- And I've been complaining about poor eyesight. My troubles are small compared to yours.

I know what you mean by eyesight and wanting to shoot a favorite gun. I've got a 303 brit I ended up putting glass on so I could still enjoy shooting it. Some will say it's sacrilege BUT I got my guns to shoot and enjoy, not look at or just have. Most of my long guns were glass now.

We do what we can to enjoy our hobby for as long as possible.

I did inherit an old 03A3 that I could not see well enough to shoot (it has put a lot of food on many tables), that one I gave to my youngest son to enjoy and cherish. I have other 06's with glass if I want to shoot that caliber.

As long as you/we can still shoot, we are winners.

Boolit Buddy
    When the accident happened having to operate on the other eye was like nit vs day. I assume I was done with shooting. My late friend Keith Foster offered to take my grandson to the range and told me to bring a rifle. I learned that with enough scope it was doable. As to switching sides, another gruff old shooter told me, "Don't even pick up the rigle righthanded." I owe those guys a lot!.

Boolit Master
    Don glad you are shooting. Is this 03A3 one of the Sarco kits, or is this parts you found and made a rifle with?

Boolit Master
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	M1941MCSniperCoyote180of200.JPG 
Views:	33 
Size:	38.0 KB 
ID:	287440
    I,too had to go to a scope on my M1941 MC sniper rifle ( 03A1)
    Had shot it years back with the iron sights in HiPo competition.
    Now back to its original 1941 form. Shooting CBA Vin Mil matches.
    Load is 22 gr IMR4759/Lyman 311299/Lino.
    Oh, I, too shoot with only one good eye. Luckily, was left handed and still have left eye
    beltfed/arnie

Name:	IMG_1250.JPG 
Views:	41 
Size:	110.5 KB 
ID:	287441

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by ebb View Post
    Don glad you are shooting. Is this 03A3 one of the Sarco kits, or is this parts you found and made a rifle with?
    My 03A3 began with a drill rifle receiver with a few inches of barrel attached. It had a rod through the chamber and a small bead of weld (easily removed) between the magazine cutoff thumbpiece and receiver bridge. A friend gave me a stock, the rest I acquired where I could. An oldtimer friend traded me an unused 8/43 4 groove barrel which has only been fed cast boits.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by beltfed View Post

Name:	M1941MCSniperCoyote180of200.JPG 
Views:	33 
Size:	38.0 KB 
ID:	287440
    I,too had to go to a scope on my M1941 MC sniper rifle ( 03A1)
    Had shot it years back with the iron sights in HiPo competition.
    Now back to its original 1941 form. Shooting CBA Vin Mil matches.
    Load is 22 gr IMR4759/Lyman 311299/Lino.
    Oh, I, too shoot with only one good eye. Luckily, was left handed and still have left eye
    beltfed/arnie

Name:	IMG_1250.JPG 
Views:	41 
Size:	110.5 KB 
ID:	287441
    I am envious! What power is the scope?

My remaining eye has a chunk of retina missing from the macula as a result of a childhood (preschool) incident. My distance vision is adequate, just no fine focus so the more magnification the better. In fact 6x-7x + prescription brings me to 20/40-50.

DH

Boolit Master
    DH,
    That is a Lyman Super Target Spot, 20X.
    But , for CBA Vin Mil matches I shoot it with a Lyman Junior Target Spot, 6X
    Have shot 100-5X and 100-6X at 200yds. Lyman 311299 lino/22gr 4759
    The target is from a "Coyote" Postal match-200yds
    beltfed/arnie

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks beltfed. I love those scopes. Have had Junior and Super Targetspots and Unertls from 8x to 20x. Currently one is 15x STS.
    Congrats on fine 200 yd targets. I have yet to try 311299 but need to.
    DH

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast