Inline FabricationWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionRepackboxSnyders JerkyLoad Data
RotoMetals2 Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Free, simple, online CAD program?

Boolit Master

I went with the online freeware (linked) LIBRECAD. It is very much icon and text command based, as is AutoCAD, with, as you would expect, a Learning Curve. I did not know the other recommendations above were available, nor did I check them out, so this choice is just another Data Point for consideration.

I was there at the inception of hand held calculators in place of slide rules. I was there when engineering drawings were made on velum, Mylar, and linen, by hand, with plastic pencils and ink pens. I was there at the inception of Personal Computers on every desk. I was there at the inception of AutoCAD on select business computers.

As a terraforming Civil Engineer, designer, and specifier for 40-years, AutoCAD and MicroStation dominate the design world in 2D - and COST A FORTUNE. EVERYTHING comes with its own Learning Curve. Struggle through it and take satisfaction that the developmental progress made is only appreciated by looking back along the Highway of Experience that brought you here.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Buddy
    hmmm.........Brings to mind the million dollar model that would barely fit in a pickup truck. The design ignored gravity (Just a little), the raw material dried up before the plant was finished, but there were no handrails used for steam lines. Everything fit, in spite of contractors who refused to communicate. And as a training aid, it was incomparable.

Moderator Emeritus

Unless you plan on using the software for future projects, graph paper and pencil with an eraser will do just fine. We did all that and more not to long ago without fancy computer programs to design a work bench. Have fun. Good luck.
    Ron

Boolit Master
    Long ago (late 1970's) I took drafting courses for college credit - mech engineering minor(GI Bill), few years back audited an AutoCad class at local college. Most stuff I do gets drawn with T-square, ruler and protractor. I do need to sit down and check out current CAD stuff. AutoCad pricey for my use. CAD is great for easier/lower cost changes to plans and dimensioning, conversion to CNC code (CAM) is my biggest reason to learn CAD. A pencil and paper, maybe a ruler works fine for workbenches and such.

Boolit Master
    I have been using FreeCAD for several years now, and while it has its quirks I like it. I haven't really tried to do more than simple Assemblies though, and I never used any functions which would fit them together virtually...I just made sure the hole spacing was correct, etc.

I am cracking up at the guys making fun of CAD... I have designed tooling on paper for work, and while it's totally possible it was a lousy experience comparatively. I can do it far faster in CAD, especially simple geometry, and making changes doesn't require a prayer to the eraser gods.

I did keep my original paper sketches because I am proud of how well they turned out despite the difficulty. I used graph paper, a pencil, and a ruler... but if I never have to do that again I won't be upset.
    I'm a big fan of data-driven decisions. You want to make me smile, show me a spreadsheet! Extra points for graphs and best-fit predictive equations.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    The best CAD program I have found..................is pencil and paper and a straight edge! Very low cost, easy to modify, and very portable. I have designed and built a lot of stuff over the years that way (scientific instruments, furniture, cabinets, work jigs). I use CAD only for VERY involved/intricate designs, but not something as simple as a workbench. Don't overthink it.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 8mmFan View Post
    Thanks for all of the great replies, guys! I will check out a couple of the recommendations. Very much appreciated.

8mmFan
    Don't think I saw anyone mention Fusion 360. For personal/hobbyist use, it's free. I was actually able to draw something fairly simple in it after following one lesson. Haven't made it back since then, but it is online, though you do need to install software on your computer. I flunked my Jr. High School Mechanical Drawing class, back in 1969. Teenage attitudinal problems and recto-cranial inversion.

Bill

Boolit Master
    For veterans, US or Canadian, you can get the 1-year subscription to Solidworks student edition for $20 US, or $40 Canadian. Need a copy of your DD-214 or Canadian equivalent.

https://www.solidworks.com/sites/def...MVPProgram.pdf

Learning curve was too steep for me, the couple of times I tried it, but I was also seriously distracted, between working full-time and going to school to be a machinist part-time. I could maybe do better now that I'm retired. Maybe.

Bill

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by bangerjim View Post
    The best CAD program I have found..................is pencil and paper and a straight edge! Very low cost, easy to modify, and very portable. I have designed and built a lot of stuff over the years that way (scientific instruments, furniture, cabinets, work jigs). I use CAD only for VERY involved/intricate designs, but not something as simple as a workbench. Don't overthink it.
    Well, to follow up, this is the way I went. Thank you, to all of you that posted the excellent references to different CAD programs. I clicked the link/looked up all of them. What I realized is that, for me—a not very technical guy, and not all that computer proficient—the time that it would take me to learn the CAD program(s) is just better spent elsewhere. So last night, I sat down with a sketch pad, ruler, and pencil, and spent some time designing my workbench. I think after about 90 minutes I’ve got 90% of it down, with measurements. I can adjust it easily if I need to.

But, as I said, I really do appreciate all of you that took the time to help me out. Maybe some time when I have a little more time, I’ll go in to one of the programs and, over the course of a few weekends or a summer, learn one of the programs. They definitely DO look quite useful, for the person that takes the time and has the ability to learn them.

Thanks again.

8mmFan

Boolit Master

CAD is a "Use It Or Lose It" learning deal. In the beginning, and by yourself, it is a steep climb of frustration without a resource or friend that can walk you through. Once learned to proficiency, that "effort state" deteriorates if you no longer "sharpen the saw". I had forgotten more about the program than I learned.

Still, like riding a bike, once the quirks of the "similar" program were frustratingly mastered (no Mentor but 20+years of AutoCad use), the ability once again to readily create and especially to modify designs became quick and exact, which is what I need. Now, designing an acre of real estate for a new residence takes a few minutes to put a lot of lines on an electronic drawing, modifying here, smoothing a corner there, and endlessly moving the walls in the house plan as the wife's "nest" of advisors suggest.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 8mmFan View Post
    Well, to follow up, this is the way I went. Thank you, to all of you that posted the excellent references to different CAD programs. I clicked the link/looked up all of them. What I realized is that, for me—a not very technical guy, and not all that computer proficient—the time that it would take me to learn the CAD program(s) is just better spent elsewhere. So last night, I sat down with a sketch pad, ruler, and pencil, and spent some time designing my workbench. I think after about 90 minutes I’ve got 90% of it down, with measurements. I can adjust it easily if I need to.

But, as I said, I really do appreciate all of you that took the time to help me out. Maybe some time when I have a little more time, I’ll go in to one of the programs and, over the course of a few weekends or a summer, learn one of the programs. They definitely DO look quite useful, for the person that takes the time and has the ability to learn them.

Thanks again.

8mmFan
    IMO you made the right decision.

My comments were ridiculed by some but I am not against technology. I worked as an engineer for many years and started before computers were in the work place. I know what can be accomplished with simple drawing tools.

By the time I was in management, CAD had taken over. I did not fight it....I embraced it. It is a better tool for complex design.

A few years ago I tried CAD as I was building more stuff for home and shop. What a PITA! I am blessed with higher than average intelligence and cursed by a low level of frustration. Learning CAD to build a workbench is silly unless you intend to build a lot of other stuff too. Maybe the newer versions are more intuitive, but 10 years ago they were...like I said...a PITA!

You made the right choice. Graph paper and a brain will get you a very nice design in less time than learning to use CAD to build a workbench. The last workbench I built had to fit a custom space. I spent less than 30 minutes sketching it up and a couple of hours cutting lumber and assembling it. Even added a rebated top to hold a 1/4" piece of Masonite so the top can be easily replaced. The lady loved it.

KISS...it's a fricking workbench!
    Don Verna

Boolit Master

East Arkansas where I55 & I40 come together and then split
    I have worked in steel fabrication since 1977. I started out pulling a pencil (lead holder) across paper using a Parallel bar and triangles and used templates for certain things.
    I was introduced to Autocad in the late 1980's but still used the drawing table during the transition. I haven't used the drawing board in the last 16 or so years. Now it is full time
    cad all the time. I was introduced to a 3-D standalone program to detail large steel projects. That came to an end in 2018 and am back using Autocad. There isn't a drawing board in
    in any office in the company I now work for presently. It can be a blessing or a curse depending on how you look at it. I still have all my drawing stuff and still make a quick sketch
    when the need arises.

I I didn't know cad and needed something sketched up, I'd find a pad of graph paper and go to town.

Boolit Buddy
    My wife brought home some graph paper for me, and I re-did the drawings I had on the sketch pad and found a mistake. This is actually turning into a fun project—I’ve never drawn out my projects before. Just kind of always had an idea in mind, and then started in with drill, saw(s), and hammer, and built simple stuff as I went along. Usually I made a lot of mistakes, and the things I built ended up taking three times as long as they should have and were cockeyed.

This drawing it all out on graph paper, and thinking about what I’m doing before I start, is going to save me a lot of time, wood, and frustration. The measurements are all right there, and I’ll even be able to let my sons help a lot more because, I can tell them, “alright, I need you to cut 4 33.75” 2x4’s now, with the miter saw,” etc. They’ll have more fun too.

In my case, the CAD vs. paper and pad thing came down to “a man’s gotta know his limitations.” Realistically, there was no way I’d have mastered the CAD programs quickly enough to justify the time spent.

Thanks gentlemen.

8mmFan

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    It's impossible to design and draw anything with a sheet of paper , drafting triangle , T-Square straight edge and Architects scale .
    Don't even try that method .
    Although I've designed and prepared building plans for five story commercial buildings in that manner you don't want to try it .
    CAD drawing is the only way it can be done today . Pay CAD for the software , you will be much happier with the end results .
    Old school drafting is just so ...old and difficult to do ... who needs it .
    Gary
    No offense intended but I have known many people who had no idea how to draw with auto cad, solid works, inventor. Hide the submenus to let them draw a circle or square,,, nothing.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12