Snyders JerkyRepackboxReloading EverythingLoad Data
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Lee Precision Inline Fabrication

Thread: New to paper patching

New to paper patching

Can I use the same dia. bullets with black powder as with I do with my smoke less ? rifles a repo Sharps and a #1 Ruger Patched to .458" in 45/70
    The 3 people a man must be able to trust completely are his gunsmith his doctor & his preacher ..,his gunsmith for his short term health ,his doctor for long term health ,and his preacher incase one of the others mess up.

Boolit Grand Master

You can go with the groove dia bullet loading it as needed but this negates one of the benefits of the original PP bore dia bullet. The bore dia bullet is loaded way long ( only 1/8"-3/16" seated into the case) this allows several things to happen. 1) a larger charge of black powder can be used, 2)the bullet is seated in to the rifling similar to a breech seated bullet. When the bullet is fitted to the bore it is centered and in place much more accurately.

Wrights book Loading and shooting the paper patched bullet A beginners guide has a lot of good information in it and is a valuable asset

Boolit Mold
    dont use a bore dia bullet with smokeless. your just asking for trouble. it wont bump up like it does with black. A groove dia bullet will work just fine though with smokeless powder