Titan ReloadingRepackboxLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Load DataRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do you smoke brass molds?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    I don't smoke 'em. I heat cycle my new brass molds several times, which starts the patina process, I would think that smoke would obstruct that process.

BUT, if a mold doesn't start casting good after 2 or 3 casting sessions, I'll then give the smoke thing a try.

Lastly, a boolit caster I respect very much will say to put a very lite smoke (using a butane lighter) on a new mold, I don't think you'd even see any soot from that? He claims the lite smoke will last long enough for oxides (patina) to develop, hence not needing a second smoke application...I don't recall if he does the heat cycle thing first or not?

100% agreed with this!!

What you need to do is simply just cast or better yet heat cycle the mold a few times. Then use proper heat on mold before tou expect good bullets from it. Another issue cannbe cleanly ness. I always advise people
    To buy brake cleaner and literally hose out the mold. It will remove any oils they could cause issue to the quality of the bullets.
    All molds are different some cast straight away others are as we are describing and require use (or heat cycling) to creat good bullets. But bottom Line is proper heat of the mold. (Get a hot plate and use it!)

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Banned

i dont put anything in a mold but lead

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Bring the mold up to the temperature of the melt and lube the pins with parrafin… that’s it
    Regards
    John

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12